An expert A-team cannot make up for an inexperienced Prez

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:51 pm
Look at George W. He had an experienced and intelligent team but look at the outcome. W did not have the experience or acumen to judge which advice was the correct one from the divergent views in his Administration. Powell was more correct but was rejected. Rummy and Cheney were experienced but had tunnel visions i.e. very narrow minded. The top man or woman has to have a broad based knowledge and the ability to choose the correct advice from the various points of view from the advisors that will follow any crisis.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 441 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:20 am
Additionally, the team must represent a variety of views. Bush chose a team with essentially one point of view. Bill Clinton's first term had a similar problem. Senator Clinton's campaign has been sited for selecting people based on loyalty over skill. GH Bush also tended to chose people for loyalty since Reagan chose people for skill and they all wrote books about him after leaving office. I read some article linked from A2K saying that Obama has assembled a crack team from across the political spectrum. I'm not sure what McCain's team looks like, but I suspect he also would put together a broad spectrum of opinions rather than go with idealogy. We shall see.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:03 pm
Senator Clinton must have some competent leftovers from Bill Clinton's years at the White House. I remember Clinton inheriting some of George Bush's appointees like Alan Greenspan. Besides the team handling Foreign Affairs would be Madelaine Albright who did quite well avoiding sticky situations. Wes Clark would be good.
0 Replies