In Treatment on HBO

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:24 pm
OMG this series is addictive, especially Sexy Laura, played by Melissa George

http://www.scaryminds.com/eyecandy/MelissaGeorge.jpg

Laura is "in love" with Paul, the therapist, so to show him how much she loves him, she screws one of his other patients, then there is the suicidal Sophie,the gymnast sexually abused by her coach...then of course Paul has his own therapy session as his wife is running off to Rome with her paramour...and the good news is you can download the episodes free from I-tunes here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,147 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:27 pm
I'm hooked on this series, too. Some of the people I really don't like, Alex and Amy & Jake. I'm warming up to Sophie because she seems so real. And Kate is a real bitch! I mean...come on...you screwed an insurance salesman and now your miffed at Paul.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:28 pm
My g/f just this w/e had me watch this the other night. So far, I saw two episodes and I'm hooked.

OMG. Laura is scrumptious! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:35 pm
oooo....I haven't watched any yet, but I'm recording them all. 3 addicited in a row!

Looks good for a back to back couch potato fest!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:32 pm
Laura episode tonight, I was crushed, Laura didn't have an appointment so the episode dealt with the kids. Still, a great episode.

But I sure miss Laura's pouting lips.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:33 pm
Chai wrote:
oooo....I haven't watched any yet, but I'm recording them all. 3 addicited in a row!

I caught up on all the episodes by downloading them and watching them inflight to and from Dallas.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:12 am
Well, I finally got around to watching the first few episodes.

To tell you the truth, if I had been watching them on straight TV, I doubt I would have tuned in for the 2nd episode. Even 24 hours later, my interest would have been gone.

However, I watched the 2nd immediatley after the first and became a little more interested. I accidently played the episode where it was after the wife of the fighting couple had a miscarriage at his office. So, I was intrigued as to how that had started. Went back and watched the girl/coach one, then the soldier/bomber one, then finally saw the married couple the first time. Finally saw Paul visiting his old mentor.

Now I'll watch the rest, but more because it's sort of quirky, and I just enjoy looking at Gabriel Byrne.

Re the first episode.....yawn.....I just don't get off on watching some wacked out chick (albeit a doctor) telling her sex in the restroom stories and then confessing how she's "in love" with Paul.

How typical. Patient transferring erotic fantasies to doctor caring for her. Rolling Eyes

Also, Paul hasn't taken out his persciption pad, not once. I may be wrong, but doesn't someone go to see a phychologist or counselor first, then is ususally seen by a phychiatrist to continue therapy, and evaluatate for medication? I mean, I'm no expert, but I saw a therapist for a year, and only went to the phychiatrist because she had to perscribe the SRRI.

He he just a cash only business? Where the insurance forms? Everyone just tosses $150 on his coffee table and leaves.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:30 am
BBB
I haven't watched the show yet. A few weeks ago, I watched Charlie Rose interview actor Gabriel Byrne. I immediately noticed that Byrne rarely made eye contact with Rose while talking in his monotone voice. I was really put off by this lack of eye contact and blase voice tone, which caused me to lose interest in the show. How could an actor behave like this in real life be interesting in a screen role?

A good friend of mine watches and loves the show, but then, she is a PHD psychiatrist. Maybe I will try watching the show from the beginning. It must be a show that grows on you.

BBB
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:56 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I was really put off by this lack of eye contact and blase voice tone, which caused me to lose interest in the show. How could an actor behave like this in real life be interesting in a screen role?

BBB

Must be why they call it "acting"
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:11 am
Chai wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I was really put off by this lack of eye contact and blase voice tone, which caused me to lose interest in the show. How could an actor behave like this in real life be interesting in a screen role?
BBB

Must be why they call it "acting"

I was thinking the same thing, Chai. But I've rarely seen a person act so strangely during an interview. He must be a bore in real life. So many actors choose their craft because it allows them to assume a different personality than their real life one. It reminds me of actor Peter Sellers. He was a colorless and boring person who only came to life in his film roles.

BBB
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 03:18 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I haven't watched the show yet. A few weeks ago, I watched Charlie Rose interview actor Gabriel Byrne. I immediately noticed that Byrne rarely made eye contact with Rose while talking in his monotone voice. I was really put off by this lack of eye contact and blase voice tone, which caused me to lose interest in the show. How could an actor behave like this in real life be interesting in a screen role?

BBB

Who knows? Many actors are reclusive and withdrawn at times in real life. Byrne's work in In Treatment is superb and he is a fine actor.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:34 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Chai wrote:

I caught up on all the episodes by downloading them and watching them inflight to and from Dallas.

And just what were you doing in Dallas girlfriend?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:41 pm
Bidness, of course.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:34 pm
i have to say that the season finale was not very satisfying for me as well as Paul and Laura.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 12:52 pm
They reviewed the show on NPR and that is how I got interested. I do not watch much TV.
I must say I was hooked, I love the Paul and his Therapist . You don't even feel they are acting. It is easy to be judgemental at first but when you follow the characters and dig deeper with paul, it is hard to hate any of them. I hated Kate in the beginning but ended up liking her at the end.

I noticed Paul's lack of Eye contact even with Laura. But it is charming, knowing he is hiding something, and going against the deep inner standards he holds. Maybe I was projecting a lot of my own feelings into it.
Even my Husband would sit down to watch this one although there was no nudity, no action and they talked about "FEELINGS"

At times I did not even feel it was a Drama. All the situations were so real.

Only negative comment I have, It ended too quick. I will order the DVD though.
0 Replies

VaneEnglish

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:22 pm
i´ve never watched this show, what is it about?
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 12:54 am
VaneEnglish wrote:
i´ve never watched this show, what is it about?

IN TREATMENT was a drama serial. Paul is a Psychologist ( real good one) and he sees patients in continuity. We watch a session of psychoanalysis the same patient every week on the same day of the week. THen Friday he goes to see his own Therapist. So on Monday he sees Laura The Anaesthesiologist who in the first episode reveals that after year or so of therapy she is deeply emotionally involved in Paul who is married and Laura's boyfriend who is a Therapist too and actually deeply in Love with Laura is pushing for a date for marriage. Paul's Marriage is failing but he strictly prohibits LAura to go down this road. " I am not an option, laura" I am your therapist.
It was very interesting.
It examines American life in a new way. The affective aspect of relationships is so often ignored by popular media. So this was a fresh breeze after a long time. I would not mind watching it a few times more. I have not said that about anything on TV before.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:31 am
HBO wants to continue the series, but only if they can convince Gabriel Byrne to return. http://www.nypost.com/seven/06052008/tv/hbo_will_continue_sessions_114017.htm
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:17 pm
I loved Gabriel Byrne, actually the whole cast was superb,

I actually liked the ending. I believe that the right thing may not be the easiest to do. Reasoning for the ending was best rationalized by Gina. I am not going to spoil it for those who did not watch it by saying anymore. I would love for it to continue. Why would Gabriel Byrne not return I never knew of him to be a really busy actor?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:04 am
Some actors dislike continuing roles on TV because the time commitments interfere with there lifestyle. Then again there is the playing coy in hopes of receiving a larger contract.
0 Replies