Should you speak frankly when you can't trust your boss?

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 02:46 pm
My general manager has become unpopular among many people in my department. The tensions became visible recently when some in the department pushed forward the issue of leadership to the higher echelon in the company.

Reluctant to get involved in office politics, I have been acting the role of "an observer" so far.

Now my manager, who seems to be under increasing pressure, told us that he would seek face-to-face meetings with each of us in the department, to get feedback on his management and the work atmosphere. I was told some leaders in the company want my manager to sort out things before they consider some kind of intervention.

It sounds like a good idea. However, I'm not sure if my manager is sincere in having a frank talk, or if he just likes to seek out who is his ally, who his enemy. I've learned that he had tried to bribe one of his opponents by quietly giving this person a bigger-than-usual bonus. This act is not really suitable for an ethical manager, in my opinion.

In this situation, what should you say when meeting your boss? Will you be frank to point out his strong points and flaws?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 944 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 02:50 pm
That's weird that it's face-to-face. Some sort of an anonymous survey would make a lot more sense, if the point is merely information-gathering. It does sound like there is some sort of intimidation factor going on.

From what you say, I'd recommend treading carefully -- come up with some sort of lightweight complaint, and find something genuine to praise (if you can). And then keep an eye out for a new job (not because I think you'd be fired -- I think that's the safer tack -- but because it sounds like an unpleasant place to work).
0 Replies

mistakenidentity

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:02 pm
Thank you for your prompt advice. I'm also uncomfortable to know that my boss wants to have a face-to-face meeting. In such a conversation, one may find it difficult to say everything he wants, out of courtesy and concerns for one's own situation.

To provide more info, some opponents in the department have sought an anonymous survey among staff, the results of which will be submitted to the superiors. Apparently my manager doesn't like this idea. It's likely that this face-to-face idea is an preemptive strike on his part?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:17 pm
mistakenidentity wrote:
Thank you for your prompt advice. I'm also uncomfortable to know that my boss wants to have a face-to-face meeting. In such a conversation, one may find it difficult to say everything he wants, out of courtesy and concerns for one's own situation.

To provide more info, some opponents in the department have sought an anonymous survey among staff, the results of which will be submitted to the superiors. Apparently my manager doesn't like this idea. It's likely that this face-to-face idea is an preemptive strike on his part?

Nothing is stopping people from typing up an anonymous evaluation of his management style with constructive criticisms, etc. All they need do is mail them in a blank envelope to the personnel department with a note expressing concerns about the intimidation tactic of a face-to-face evaluation of one's boss about his management style. Ask the personnel department to deliver them to your boss's manager.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:18 pm
He is acting as if his is doing something because he has to, not because he wants to or is open to change. If I were in your shoes I would try to say nothing either positive or negative in a face to face. It is not in your best interest to be honest unless you have some kind of assurance that honesty will be rewarded, or at least not punished.
0 Replies

mistakenidentity

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:22 pm
To Butrflynet : When you said one can send a constructive criticism by mail to the personnel department, do you mean that we the staff can conduct a survey ourselves without having to ask for the manager's agreement?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:27 pm
You can do that as a group, or any of you can type up a memo on your own. Either way, do it at home, not on the company's computers. Print it out, address a blank envelope to the Personnel department with the anonymous note requesting they forward it.

If your boss requests the face-to-face meeting with you in the meantime, just say you don't feel comfortable answering his questions directly, but would be glad to provide feedback anonymously in a department survey of some kind.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:39 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
You can do that as a group, or any of you can type up a memo on your own. Either way, do it at home, not on the company's computers. Print it out, address a blank envelope to the Personnel department with the anonymous note requesting they forward it.

If your boss requests the face-to-face meeting with you in the meantime, just say you don't feel comfortable answering his questions directly, but would be glad to provide feedback anonymously in a department survey of some kind.

A person would need to be very careful that the language and the information do not reveal the identity of the author. For instance if a project is mentioned that only a few people worked on, then it becomes relatively easy to figure out which one of the few wrote the letter. Word choice and writing style also can give away identity.

Since written response was not requested, a negative one might be considered betrayal if the identity of the author is figured out.
0 Replies

daffy

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:40 pm
sozobe wrote:
That's weird that it's face-to-face. Some sort of an anonymous survey would make a lot more sense, if the point is merely information-gathering. It does sound like there is some sort of intimidation factor going on.

From what you say, I'd recommend treading carefully -- come up with some sort of lightweight complaint, and find something genuine to praise (if you can). And then keep an eye out for a new job (not because I think you'd be fired -- I think that's the safer tack -- but because it sounds like an unpleasant place to work).

I'm with Sozobe - wouldn't want to work in that environment
0 Replies