Should Obama Accept Clinton Offer to be VP?

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 05:11 am
I am beginnng to think this is the only solution. If this in fighting goes on much longer it won't matter who wins the nomination because he or she could likely lose.

unstoppable?

Quote:
Bill Clinton: Clinton, Obama ticket would be 'unstoppable'
Ron Brynaert
Published: Saturday March 8, 2008

At least one former president believes that a joint ticket of both Democratic candidates would be "unstoppable," although he's got a more than vested interest in the race.

"Even as Hillary Clinton's campaign attacked her rival, Barack Obama, for failing to 'deliver on his promises,' her husband, former President Bill Clinton said Saturday that a joint ticket pairing the two would be "almost unstoppable," CNN reports.

"She said yesterday and she said the day after her big wins in Texas and Ohio and Rhode Island that she was very open to that and I think she answered explicitly 'Yes' yesterday," said Clinton during a Mississippi campaign appearance.

Clinton alluded to earlier comments Clinton has made in the last week, indicating her interest in a joint ticket. "I know that she has always been open to it, because she believes that if you can unite the energy and the new people that he's brought in and the people in these vast swaths of small town and rural America that she's carried overwhelmingly, if you had those two things together she thinks it'd be hard to beat."

CNN continues, "He added that, in his view, Obama would win the 'urban areas and the upscale voters' while Clinton claims 'the traditional rural areas that we lost when President Reagan was president. If you put those two things together, you'd have an almost unstoppable force.'"

Obama has already emphatically stated that he doesn't want to be vice president, and recently told ABC that any talk about a joint ticket was "premature."

"You won't see me as a vice presidential candidate -- you know, I'm running for president," Obama said. "We have won twice as many states as Senator Clinton, and have a higher popular vote, and I think we can maintain our delegate count -- but you know, what I'm really focused on right now, because all that stuff is premature, is winning this nomination and changing the country."

An angry Daily Kos diarist slammed the Clintons for attempting to employ a "back of the bus strategy."

"I know some will object to the back of the bus analogy but if Obama leads in pledged delegate, popular vote, and states won accepting the VP position would indeed be taking an unequal stance," HopeO8 wrote on Saturday.

The Hotline blog noted that former President Clinton "didn't specify who would be in the top spot, however."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 581 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Miller

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 10:58 am
I thought Obama was going to attend Harvard's Divinity School... Laughing
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 11:20 am
While I realize Obama is trying to posture himself as the presidential candidate, if it looks as though the dems are going to fall apart at the seams because the 2 dems beat the **** out of one another with non-policy related trivialities, then it doesn't speak very much to his ability to unite if he becomes 50% responsible for the demise of the party.

Hubris seems to be the defining characteristic of these two candidates relative to one another.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 11:24 am
If I were Obama, I would get as far away from Mr.s Bill Clinton as possible.

Mrs. Bill Clinton as his VP would mean a certain death of a President.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 11:28 am
It would be tough having 2 VP's fo shizzle.

I support Obama for president, but the in house wrangling is going to be intolerable for all of us.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 11:34 am
Woiyo raised a point I had seriously considered. I wouldn't quite say certain death in a literal sense, but the politicking would surely last another four years.
0 Replies