Can glue stain come out of my rug?

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:59 am
A bit ago we were having hard wood floors put in except the two bedrooms. While the workers were putting these in, one of my fool cats got some of the glue on its paws and proceeded to run into our bedroom. Now we have several cat paw prints in glue on our carpet. We had "professional" carpet cleaners come in, but they couldn't get it out. I tried "scraping" the stuff off and had a little success, but I had to be careful as when I scraped and pulled too hard some of the carpet came up (fortunately it was only a stray piece here and there and we have thick carpet so it isn't at all noticeable).

Anyone have thoughts how I can get the rest out? Any thoughts on something that might help to scrape the stuff off without pulling the carpet out? It is only on the very tips of the carpet - I thought of trimming it a bit, but was worried that it would be noticeable. We are selling our place and this is the only eyesore - everything else looks beautiful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,033 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 09:37 am
What kind of material is the carpet made of? Wool? Cotton? Acrylics? Plastics?

Any idea what kind of glue was used?

Without knowing any of the above answers to help guide the advice, here are a couple things you might try in a hidden spot behind a door to test first before using:

1. Dip a Q-tip in some nail polish remover and dab it on the spot (test to be sure it doesn't remove carpet color or dissolve the carpet thread material) then pluck at it with a paper towel to remove the glue bits.

2. Place a clean cotton dish towel over the spot and lightly warm it with a hair dryer (test first to be sure the air is not too hot for carpet fabric). If the glue is a waxy substance, warming it will help dislodge it from the carpet threads.

3. Dip a Q-tip in some Goop Off (the stuff that helps remove price tags and labels from things) and apply it to the glue spot (test first) then pluck at it with a paper towel.
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 09:44 am
Thanks for the ideas. Not sure what the glue is as the hard floor guys used it - I am sure it is some real strong stuff that can deal with temperature changes considering what is used for.

I will try the nail polish tonight - like you said in a small area that isn't noticeable.

I just want it too look good enough to sell and not with little kitty prints.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 10:29 am
Do you have carpet in the closets?

If so, cut the glue portion out and replace with a clean square from the closet.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 02:52 am
Have you tried a razor blade to gently slice of the glue?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 03:15 am
A solvent will be required to dissolve the glue.

Acetone (nail polish remover)
or lighter fluid
or white spirit
or even automotive petroleum.
Test each in an inconspicuous area to ensure no damage will occur.

Treat the affected areas with the solvent, work the stain a little to assist the solvent to penetrate the glue. Absorb with a clean dry cotton cloth. Heating the solvent with a hair dryer will make the solvent more agressive (to the carpet as well as the stain)
Several treatments may be required

Residue from solvents and odours will easily wash out with soap and water.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:23 am
Intrepid wrote:
Have you tried a razor blade to gently slice of the glue?

I actually thought about that, but was afraid I would slip and slice my hand. A friend of mine had to go to the hospital before after trying to trim a candle with a razor blade.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:24 am
Well I tested a small hidden area overnight and the nail polish did not discolor or harm the carpet. I will try tonight on the stains. We already have two showings scheduled for this weekend so I need to get to work.
0 Replies

robertopreston

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:33 am
@Butrflynet,
Well the glue has dried off, it has bean quite sometime ,the carpet is silk and i tried the goo stuff unsuccessfully . Do you have any other suggestion ???
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:16 am
@Bella Dea,
Quote:
If so, cut the glue portion out and replace with a clean square from the closet.

That was what I was thinking too Bella - and it works...can't tell at all.
0 Replies

Dri-Masters

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 04:25 am
@Linkat,
The best way to get rid of dried glue from the carpet is to cover the glue stain with a thin cloth. Then using a household iron start to heat up the glue by running a hot iron over the cloth. The glue will turn into a liquid substance, which will then be absorbed into the thin cloth. Just make sure, while doing this, don't over heat the iron or else it will damage the carpet.
0 Replies

Lillian Dillard

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2017 04:19 am
1)Take a sharp knife and carefully scrape any glue residue off of the affected area on the carpet. If the glue has hardened, you may need to scrape for a longer period to loosen the substance from the carpet fibres.
or

Take a paper towel and dab the glue stain.This method is only effective if the glue is still wet. If the glue is dry, it won’t be able to transfer to another material and off of your carpet. This is where professional carpet cleaning services may be a good option to consider. Another method is to cover the glue stain with a thin cloth.Using a household iron, begin to heat up the glue by running a hot iron over the cloth, which is sitting on top of the glue stain.
The glue should turn into a liquid substance, which will then be absorbed into the thin cloth. If you do a lot of arts and crafts and use hot glue guns, this is a particularly good way to get rid of unwanted glue stains or small drippings.
if you discover the glue stain long after it has dried and hardened, grab a pair of household scissors.
Slowly and carefully cut the affected area of the carpet to remove the glue residue. This method only works on thick carpets with long fibers.
0 Replies