Anyone in the D.C. area?

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:57 pm
Hey I'm moving out in a few months. I'm apartment hunting rightnow, but I start my new job in June and I am looking fro some experts on the area.

I plan to live on the VA side. Most likely Arlington or Alexandria.

I'm into good

Food
Bars
Art Galleries
Parks

and anything else about the area which is unique.

Thanks.
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 970 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:20 pm
Thinking...

Guessing that George OB knows the area.. RealJohnBoy and Letty are from Virginia, but I think not in your precise area.. We have a bunch of on and off posters from the Baltimore area. I lived in - I think it was - Arlington when I was 5 but my data is obsolete. I bet some other a2kers know more.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:40 pm
*waits eagerly*

Thanks
K
O
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 05:34 am
*waitingtoo*

Friends of ours live there.
Visited them last christmas.
Might be there more often, if we move to the States this year.
So there, that's my reason for hanging around here!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 05:48 pm
Move to the states? May I ask why?

T
K
O
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:02 am
Not because I want to, that's for sure...

No, my husband is American, stationed in Germany at the moment.
And I think we might have stretched his stay as far as we could.
Still trying and hoping, though!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 05:29 am
Its all one big megablurb. The beltways are always tied up and the METRO line is mostly aimed at the Md suburbs to the N. (The farther away from DC, the more you can afford and there are some great deals right now with the market being depressed.
Ive got a buddy who lives in Lower Lancaster County who drives about 15 miles to PErryville MD and then hops the short rail to DC. He does this every day and he likes the quieter life our countryside offers.

Its one of the best restaurant and art gallery centers of the US. There are easily 10 or more National Galleries that change exhibits frequently, not to mention other national science and cultural museums.
I get down to DC about 4 times per month on business and we often trsvel and stay an extra day to hit some special exhibit or event. (Spring and early SUmmer are very active times)

Its not gonna be cheap but compared to other metro centers, its probably the best deal around(US provides the entertainment)

The best restaurant in the US is south of DC by about 40 miles. Its where you go to celebrate something big or special.
Alexandria's nice but keeping a car legal and safe can be as expensive as your own living space. (MAny apartments and condos have gated garages). Get to know what cars are least targeted and get one of those. There are many really bad sections of town. You just need to go and visit areas and you can see the street activity. You be the judge.

Are you planning to start your career in DC? o are you looking to stay?
But , overall, Id say, look to the rail line from NEw CArrolltown to DC and see about places to live along the rails. Youll be within easy distance of cultuer but not priced out of decently affordable housing.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 01:56 am
Heads up DC area (noVA). I'm coming to visit in two weeks to find an apartment.

Time to find a place to put my hat.
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 05:22 pm
I now have an apartment. I'm in the lovely Falls Church area. I signed my lease today, it's official. The moving truck came today as well and grabbed my stuff. I'd celebrate more, but I'm still cleaning up the rest of my co-op.

T
K
O
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 05:42 pm
Take a little trip up to see the locks on the Patowmack River. I can't remember the name of the falls, but there's a cool spot with white water and a huge rock of an island..... aha! Here it is, Great Falls. MD on one bank and VA on the other.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gwmp/grfa/gallery/falls/images/autumn_falls.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 06:13 pm
Youll want to get out to Harpers Ferry and Front Royal. On the other hand, a jaunt on the other side will get you to the Eastern Shore.
Youre real close to US 50 which will get you West to Winchester, Front Royal and HArpers Ferry. AND You can take 50 East to Annapolis, over tyhe bridge into Centreville or Tikghmans Island and be in the Eastern Shore Tidewater Country. If you see Dick Cheney, duck.

A really neat time of year on the EAstern SHore is in the FAll when all the tall ships come together for "downrigging days" . Send me a PM and OIll give you some good rib spots and /or crabcake restaurants.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 06:22 pm
Great location - the Tidewater's will be wonderfully accessible to you.

Some great restos in the Falls Church area.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 06:50 pm
The best retaurant in the EAstern US (only 5 star on the east coast) is the "Inn at Little Washington" Its about 25 mi SW of FAlls Church. Youll wait for a res but its worth it.

They serve little fruit intermezzos with a 40 year old balsamic. Everything is total decadence and they dont really act snooty like at some DC or NY joints that arent half as good.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:31 am
You are getting me excited now! I love the photo of the Potomac BTW. I can't wait to see it all.

T
K
O!
0 Replies