Taking Out Shower Doors

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:55 pm
Yeh, using the shaft as a sleeve and adding a cap of some sort. Rockhead mentioned that as a possibility when he was here for a bit recently. I know a bit about all this from irrigation design, but I sooooo don't want to mess it up. The second half of the top bit is not broken, thus I might need to break it to have the innersleeve (as it were) and its cap/flange fit the pan surface.

Groan.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:56 pm
geez Rolling Eyes

what language is that???
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:58 pm
piping...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:59 pm
old hat to me, but not in this exact context..
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:00 pm
no comprende
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:03 pm
I could probably show you pictures...

but not in a timely fashion.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:05 pm
Pictures? I'd appreciate that. I do so much better with pictures.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:08 pm
I used to design piping for irrigation for large housing tracts. Sleeves are commonly placed before driveways are poured so the pipes for irrigation and electrical, etc., can be threaded through and removable if necessary.
Oh, never mind...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:09 pm
But, on plumbing, I'm a scaredy cat. (Did I tell you about the kid's orange plastic screw driver in the toilet?)
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 09:16 am
ossobuco wrote:
Yeh, using the shaft as a sleeve and adding a cap of some sort. Rockhead mentioned that as a possibility when he was here for a bit recently. I know a bit about all this from irrigation design, but I sooooo don't want to mess it up. The second half of the top bit is not broken, thus I might need to break it to have the innersleeve (as it were) and its cap/flange fit the pan surface.

Groan.

That would work, providing the two ends of the broken shaft havent shifted away from each other.
Depending on the design of the house (crawlspace, slab,two or more floors, etc) and the location of the broken pipe, you might have to get under the house or between the floors to get to the broken pipe.

That opens a whole new can of worms.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:33 pm
It's on a slab. I have figrued I need a whole new shower/pan up until now, which finances preclude, especially since I'd prefer to tile it for various reasons.

I will take photos, but I'm slow at doing that and posting them. Luckily I have another bathroom with shower.
0 Replies