Taking Out Shower Doors

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:01 am
My house was built in 1965 and in both bathrooms, there are shower doors attached to the tub and tile around the tub/shower. Looks like it's been caulked or something. Any suggestions on how to remove these doors and it's framework without destroying the tub and tilework around it? Is it even possible? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,325 • Replies: 30
No top replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 11:15 am
Re: Taking Out Shower Doors
eoe wrote:
My house was built in 1965 and in both bathrooms, there are shower doors attached to the tub and tile around the tub/shower. Looks like it's been caulked or something. Any suggestions on how to remove these doors and it's framework without destroying the tub and tilework around it? Is it even possible? Thanks!

Take the doors off first, they should come off at the hinges.
After you do that, you MIGHT be able to get a scraper and scrape the caulk off enough to loosen the door frame.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 11:24 am
Can you tilt and lift the doors out for cleaning?

I helped a friend who was trying to remove that type of shower door. Getting the doors out was easy-peasy, the frame was another story.

Gotta carefully carefully remove the caulking - search for screws into the frame. Pray that no holes result when the screws are removed.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:50 pm
An exacto typle knife could be used to slice the calking along the tub (being careful not to dig into the tub surface) and along the door frames. Screws would probably be at the top, middle and bottom of the frame.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:13 pm
How do you remove caulk from the tub and tile?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:21 pm
You pretty well have to scrape it off with a paint scaper. A heat gun may help to soften the caulk as you scrape.

It will be, or should be, a silicone caulk and it does not come off easily.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:28 pm
But it DOES come off, right? Clean?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:36 pm
Eventually. A bit of work and patience will do the trick. Just be sure to get it all off.

Maybe you could have a caulk removal party.

Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:37 pm
Thanks guys. I've always hated these shower doors. Time to bid them bye-bye. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:40 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Eventually. A bit of work and patience will do the trick.

<apply Canajun understatement translation tool> = it can be a freaking amount of work, and isn't guaranteed to be successful
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:44 pm
Hmmmmm.... Confused
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:02 pm
Have you considered an entire bathroom reno? Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:08 pm
Dammit. That's what I'm trying to avoid.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:23 pm
Bugger.

I also have shower doors around my bath, and I similarly wish to remove them, and have a nice, interesting shower curtain.

Damn.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:01 pm
Actually, it is not that hard. I have done it with good results. However, I did not remove caulking that had been in place since 1965. I am not even sure if they had silicone caulking in 1965.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:10 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Actually, it is not that hard. I have done it with good results. However, I did not remove caulking that had been in place since 1965. I am not even sure if they had silicone caulking in 1965.

Oh...mine's from 2000...it is likely to be easier?????
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:25 pm
I hate my shower doors too, but that's not the key problemo, it's the drain that I found out was broken after I moved in. What did I expect with a 400 - 500 pound son living in the house. Anyway, the drain is broken somewhat down into the drain, er, shaft, though not that far down. Plumbers have looked at it and hemmed and and hawed. I forsee really fixing it involves taking the shower pan out. Thus it sits, adding to my doldrums.

Snarl.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:28 pm
dlowan wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Oh...mine's from 2000...it is likely to be easier?????

I would give it a go. The worst that could happen is it does not come off to your liking and you put the frame and doors back on.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:30 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I hate my shower doors too, but that's not the key problemo, it's the drain that I found out was broken after I moved in. What did I expect with a 400 - 500 pound son living in the house. Anyway, the drain is broken somewhat down into the drain, er, shaft, though not that far down. Plumbers have looked at it and hemmed and and hawed. I forsee really fixing it involves taking the shower pan out. Thus it sits, adding to my doldrums.

Snarl.

If I understand you correctly, the pipe that goes down the shaft is broken and can't be removed or fixed? If this is so, why couldn't you just insert a drain pipe of a smaller diameter to fit inside?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:48 pm
[quote="ossobuco"...the drain is broken somewhat down into the drain, er, shaft, though not that far down. Plumbers have looked at it and hemmed and and hawed. I forsee really fixing it involves taking the shower pan out. Thus it sits, adding to my doldrums.[/quote]

I've got one of those too.
0 Replies