Loyalty Oaths? I thought this crap stopped after the 50's

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:49 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bullshit.

The Shang Dynansty (1300 BCE) had quite a pantheon.

From Chinaknowledge-dot-com:

Quote:
The oracle bone inscriptions (jiaguwen) are essential for our understanding of Shang religion. In the inscriptions we find the names of deified ancestors - former kings - that were worshipped and asked for help by the ruling kings of Yin. An integral part of the Shang religion was the ancestor worship that became later the core of Confucianism and Chinese thinking. The bronze vessels and burial offerings show how the former people have been venerated. The tombs in Anyang and other Shang period sites do not only contain the tomb owner in his richly decorated wooden coffin, but also many tomb offerings of which in most cases only pottery, jade objects and ritual bronze vessels have survived. Furthermore, the whole entourage of the king, like ministers, servants, slaves, concubines, were sacrified and buried together as human sacrifices (renxun 人殉) with their deceased lord.

Leaving aside the undeniable fact that the Shang dynasty was a dynasty in name only, and only ruled a small portion of the northern section of China, and then only hegemonically, it is not reasonable to equate ancestor worship with the concept of god as it is used by the christians, the Jews and the muslims. Any other "gods" of the Shang were animistic principles--the gods of mountains, of the sun, the moon, the winds. Not at all what believers in the middle eastern religions mean when they say god.

I am amused, however, at how often you, a self-described atheist, come riding to the rescue of the religious in any discussion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 01:14 pm
From A website I found as well...

Quote:
The Shang worshipped the "Shang Ti." This god ruled as a supreme god over lesser gods, the sun, the moon, the wind, the rain, and other natural forces and places. Highly ritualized, ancestor worship became a part of the Shang religion. Sacrifice to the gods and the ancestors was also a major part of the Shang religion. When a king died, hundreds of slaves and prisoners were often sacrificed and buried with him. People were also sacrificed in lower numbers when important events, such as the founding of a palace or temple, occurred.

So, when asked to "Name a culture that had no gods." you came back with a bullshit answer and are now forced to explain

"Not at all what believers in the middle eastern religions mean when they say god."

I believe the question was a rather simple and you have been proven wrong.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 01:54 pm
You tip your hand, as usual. You've just jumped in to this discussion hoping to smear someone with your typical bile.

There was no question at all, and no one asked me to name a culture which had no gods.

Rather:

okie wrote:
Some indians in the old days thought stealing horses was admirable if stolen from somebody outside their own tribe or band, but it was unforgiveable if stolen from their own tribe or band. Stealing is viewed differently in some cultures, and I think religious heritage has some influence on how we view it. In some cultures, there is something called good and bad, in Judeo Christian culture it is more like right and wrong. In other words, good and bad relates to who you did it to rather than what you did.

Also, homosexual practices have been frowned upon or forbidden in most cultures, historically, has it not, primarily because it ends up being detrimental to the culture.

I would contend that almost all laws spring out of some religious foundation or religious belief. All you have to do is study any culture, take Native American culture, and most of what they did and how they governed themselves was almost all tied to how they viewed their gods and the relationship to their gods and each other. This should all be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer.

JoeNation disputed Okie's claims, and in response to that,

okie wrote:
Name a culture that had no gods.

It was only after this exchange had taken place that i took Okie's comments in sequence, and first disputed that horseshit about homosexuals being forbidden "in most cultures," and then in a subsequent comment, addressed the claim about a culture with no gods.

In context, Okie is claiming that all notions of right and wrong can only spring from a culture of religion. He, as is so often the case, simply makes assertions and proceeds from those unsupported assertions to attempt to make a case which is consonant with his prejudices and predilections. So, in context, to substantiate a claim that the ancient Chinese had a god (and you've already claimed that the Shang had a pantheon, not a single god) as it is known among the believers in the religions of the middle east, you'll have to support an assertion that the ancient Chinese had a religious belief in gods who handed down to them laws of behavior. Good luck.

Quite apart from that, my remark was that "from time immemorial" the Chinese had no god. The Shang dynasty ends more than a thousand years before the current era. Three thousand years qualifies well for a descriptor of "from time immemorial."

You, however, are a different kettle of fish. A self-described atheist, you love nothing better than to cruise these threads and jump on any member whom you despise to attempt to score off them, and the subject of religion and religious belief is one of your favorite flails with which you hope to flog those whom you hate. That's pretty damned pathetic coming from an atheist.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:37 pm
while this is somewhat off-topic since it doesn't deal directly with the question of god for "nations" , i simply found it too interesting to skip .
perhaps some a2k'ers are interested in reading it .
hbg

Quote:
Humanistic Judaism

By BBC Team

The question of God's existence

Humanistic Judaism doesn't proclaim that there is no God, but it does do without God. It sees no evidence for the existence of a supernatural being. Most Humanistic Jews regard the question of God's existence as either meaningless, or irrelevant.

It finds no meaning in the worship of God, whether or not God exists. So Humanistic Jews do not pray or refer to God or the supernatural, or use worshipful or prayer-like language.

It gives no moral authority to God.

The symbol of Humanistic Judaism combines a human being with the ceremonial Jewish candlestand or menorah, to powerful symbolic effect.

http://www.njhn.org/images/shj_logo.gif

Basic principles
Humanistic Judaism is nontheistic and based on two principles:

Judaism is more than a religion; it is the culture of the Jewish people.
The source of power for solving human problems lies within human beings.
So Humanistic Jews regard Judaism as an ethnic culture that was created by the Jewish people and shaped by Jewish experience.

It did not fall from heaven, and no supernatural being had anything to do with it.

Ethical and spiritual
Humanistic Jews believe that the human moral code comes from people and from the world in which they live.

Humanistic Jews find spiritual satisfaction in secular celebrations of Jewish holidays, study and discussion of Jewish and broader human issues, and action for social justice.

A positive world view
Although they reject God and the supernatural, Humanistic Jews put a very high value on the place of Hebrew language, Jewish history, culture and the ethics and values of Judaism in their lives.

The quotation below gives a flavour of their thinking:

Humanistic Judaism views Jewish history as the story of real people and real events.

The story of the Jews to be found in the Bible and the Talmud contains kernels of truth overlaid with myth and legend. Modern science, archeology, and biblical criticism are revealing the story of the Jewish experience, a story that continues into our own times.

The events of modern times and the literary responses to them are as important as the events and literary responses of ancient times. Theodore Herzl is as significant as Joshua. Golda Meir is as significant as Deborah.

Festivals and family rituals
Humanistic Jews celebrate the traditional Jewish festivals, but with the supernatural elements removed.

They see these festivals as a way of commemorating the shared history, memories, and culture of the Jewish people, and as a way of sharing togetherness with the Jewish community.

Family rituals such as Bar Mitzvahs are a way for a family to restate their values and their togetherness.

Some of us are atheists, some are agnostics, some are ignostics (think that whether or not God exists is irrelevent), some believe in God (not too many). What is important is that we focus on what we can do, not on prayer.

source :
HUMANISTIC JUDAISM
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:46 pm
A simple "How about that, you were right Mcg." would have been sufficient.

I don't believe Okie had the Western concept of "God" in mind when he wrote that as that would imply ignorance of the many civilizations that have had pantheons from the Aztecs to the Greeks. I know he is not like that.

In his question, that you chose to answer, he asked "Name a culture that had no gods."

You mentioned the Chinese and I have shown you that you were wrong.

From Wiki...

Quote:
Time immemorial is time extending beyond the reach of memory, record, or tradition. The implication is that the subject referred to is, or can be regarded as, indefinitely ancient. The phrase is one of the few cases in the English Language where the postmodifier is an adjective. Modern historians, anthropologists, and others have often criticized the use of the term as a view of contemporary conditions as without history, i.e. as essential and unchanging in nature.

3000 years is hardly "from time immemorial".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:50 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I don't believe Okie had the Western concept of "God" in mind when he wrote that as that would imply ignorance of the many civilizations that have had pantheons from the Aztecs to the Greeks. I know he is not like that.

Do you? How extraordinary.

Allow me to quote him once again, in a quote which you apparently failed to read the first time:

Quote:
Some indians in the old days thought stealing horses was admirable if stolen from somebody outside their own tribe or band, but it was unforgiveable if stolen from their own tribe or band. Stealing is viewed differently in some cultures, and I think religious heritage has some influence on how we view it. In some cultures, there is something called good and bad, in Judeo Christian culture it is more like right and wrong. In other words, good and bad relates to who you did it to rather than what you did.

Also, homosexual practices have been frowned upon or forbidden in most cultures, historically, has it not, primarily because it ends up being detrimental to the culture.

I would contend that almost all laws spring out of some religious foundation or religious belief.[/u] (emphasis added)

So, Okie clearly is saying that concepts of right and wrong spring from religious sources. You have failed to establish that there was any theology in the Shang which proscribed or encouraged behavior based upon a contention that "God" had ordained it.

Once again, this is all hilariously pathetic coming from a self-professed atheist.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:52 pm
By the way, McWhitey, rather than attempting to spray vitriol all over me, why don't you actually address the subject of the thread? Oh yeah, silly me . . . that's not why you came here.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:55 pm
Laughing

I think it's obvious who's spraying here.

I know it's difficult for you to realize you were wrong, but I had no idea how far you would try to go not admitting it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 03:33 pm
You don't have a clue, do you?

Okie's contention is that concepts of right and wrong derive from religion. In response to Joe's comment, he wrote the imperative "Name a culture that had no gods." I pointed out, and did so specifically, that ancient Chinese culture had no gods. You want to drag in the Shang, to attempt to raise a quibble.

I see absolutely no evidence from you that Chinese culture derived concepts of right and wrong from a religious source, either during the Shang, or at any time thereafter, with the exceptions i noted of Jews, Christians and Muslims successfully proselytizing in China.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 05:50 pm
Setanta wrote:

Okie's contention is that concepts of right and wrong derive from religion. In response to Joe's comment, he wrote the imperative "Name a culture that had no gods." I pointed out, and did so specifically, that ancient Chinese culture had no gods. You want to drag in the Shang, to attempt to raise a quibble.

I see absolutely no evidence from you that Chinese culture derived concepts of right and wrong from a religious source, either during the Shang, or at any time thereafter, with the exceptions i noted of Jews, Christians and Muslims successfully proselytizing in China.

So Buddhism, Tao, shintoism (which is more a Japanese religion) played no part in ancient China?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 06:30 pm
Setanta wrote:

No, what you wanted to do was come up with a specific example of how Okie was wrong regarding countries with no gods, and did so in you normal haughty tone by saying China "from time immemorial" and you were wrong. Now, you have puffed out your chest and spewed forth your typical drivel in an attempt to hide your shame.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 06:34 pm
McG wrote:
normal haughty tone

Laughing
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 08:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:

In his question, that you chose to answer, he asked "Name a culture that had no gods."

McGentrix, you are correct, I include all types of Gods from numerous cultures. I have not studied all cultures, but I have done some reading about Native American cultures, enough to know they virtually all had some type of worship.

Even most people that think they have no Gods, probably still have them. It or they may be things more like idols which are forms of Gods, such as celebrities, sports teams, mother earth, even themselves, you name it. People have belief systems in a being or beings, or things supernatural, which motivates codes of moral behavior, from which laws spring from.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:01 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Laughing

I think it's obvious who's spraying here.

I know it's difficult for you to realize you were wrong, but I had no idea how far you would try to go not admitting it.

"Difficult"? Try a stronger adjective next time, McG.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:15 pm
So is the thread entirely off of the original question into insultville yet again?

Anyone know serious arguments pro and con re the loyalty oath at some universities and workplaces?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:22 pm
ossobuco wrote:
So is the thread entirely off of the original question into insultville yet again?

Yes. It appears Setanta has made his bed, but refuses to lie in it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 04:23 am
(sigh)

JN
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 04:50 am
okie wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

McGentrix, you are correct, I include all types of Gods from numerous cultures. I have not studied all cultures, but I have done some reading about Native American cultures, enough to know they virtually all had some type of worship.

Even most people that think they have no Gods, probably still have them. It or they may be things more like idols which are forms of Gods, such as celebrities, sports teams, mother earth, even themselves, you name it. People have belief systems in a being or beings, or things supernatural, which motivates codes of moral behavior, from which laws spring from.

Idiocy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 07:21 am
McGentrix wrote:
Setanta wrote:

No, what you wanted to do was come up with a specific example of how Okie was wrong regarding countries with no gods, and did so in you normal haughty tone by saying China "from time immemorial" and you were wrong. Now, you have puffed out your chest and spewed forth your typical drivel in an attempt to hide your shame.

In fact, as the quotes of Okie's post which i have provided, more than once shows, the response was to a contention that concepts of right and wrong derive from religion. This would imply that before religion existed, people had no concept of right and wrong. This would imply that in the absence of religion, no concept of right and wrong would exist. All of this derives from the context of the subject of the thread, which is whether or not people should be required to subscribe to loyalty oaths, and whether or not they should be penalized based upon an unwillingness to do so, or to do so in a specific manner.

Of course, i understand that the subject of this thread is not your interest.

In order to make you stupid case, you have chosen to refer to the animistic anthropomorphic concepts of some of the Chinese more than 3000 years ago, in an era loosely referred to as the Shang dynasty as "had quite a pantheon." In order to support your sneering and witless argument, you have been obliged to quibble about what constitutes time immemorial. That's as close as you came to making a point.

Since the Chinese elite abandoned an animistic "pantheon" (to use your melodramatic description), there has been no evidence that Chinese culture had a controlling concept of God, until a handful of Chinese (relative to quite a large population) converted to Judaism, Islam or Christianity. You can play any stupid game you want, it doesn't change the undeniable fact that Okie's global statement about concepts of right and wrong deriving from religion is unsupportable.

And, by the way, since you want to play stupid little games, Okie did not ask a question. The sentence "Name a culture that had no gods" is not a question, it is an imperative. Look it up if you're still confused about this.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 08:30 am
Setanta wrote:
And, by the way, since you want to play stupid little games, Okie did not ask a question. The sentence "Name a culture that had no gods" is not a question, it is an imperative. Look it up if you're still confused about this.

That's right. He said, "Name a culture that had no gods," and you attempted to accommodate that request ... and you failed.

McG was right to call you on it, and you stubbornly refuse to admit you were wrong.

-----

BTW, I ran a search of the word "sneer" in posts authored by you at this site, and got 30 pages; "pathetic" results in 37 pages; and remarkably, "bile" only results in 4 pages.

So, if I haven't mentioned it before, Setanta (but I know I have), thanks for that little bit of sunshine you bring to everyone's day when you post here at A2K.
0 Replies