Democrats and Republicans...

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 07:15 pm
Next time you hear one of the evening news broadcasts, or read an analysis of the upcoming Texas/Ohio primary, listen to what the 'experts' are discussing.

From National Review:

One thing we're learning from this election: These really are different parties.

First, look at the Democrats. Listen to the discussion about their strategies. Hillary needs to win more blacks and men. Obama must capture more Hispanics and peel away more white women. Both need to fight for "the youth."

Now look at the Republicans and how we talk about them. Can McCain win over conservatives? Should he apologize for his support of amnesty or his opposition to tax cuts? Can Romney convince pro-lifers? Will Huckabee ever make inroads with economic conservatives? Were Rudy's positions on gays, guns, and abortion too liberal?

Hmmm….
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,542 • Replies: 28
No top replies

real life

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:15 pm
Re: Democrats and Republicans...
A Lone Voice wrote:
Next time you hear one of the evening news broadcasts, or read an analysis of the upcoming Texas/Ohio primary, listen to what the 'experts' are discussing.

From National Review:

One thing we're learning from this election: These really are different parties.

First, look at the Democrats. Listen to the discussion about their strategies. Hillary needs to win more blacks and men. Obama must capture more Hispanics and peel away more white women. Both need to fight for "the youth."

Now look at the Republicans and how we talk about them. Can McCain win over conservatives? Should he apologize for his support of amnesty or his opposition to tax cuts? Can Romney convince pro-lifers? Will Huckabee ever make inroads with economic conservatives? Were Rudy's positions on gays, guns, and abortion too liberal?

Hmmm….

R's are talking about issues and ideas.

D's are dividing up people groups, assuming that all within the 'group' think alike.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 03:23 pm
Re: Democrats and Republicans...
real life wrote:

R's are talking about issues and ideas.

D's are dividing up people groups, assuming that all within the 'group' think alike.

Good and accurate observation, real life. Democrats are groupees and Republicans or conservatives are individuals. Dems are fighting for some group's rights. Conservatives believe in individual rights and responsibilities, which I thought this country was founded on.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 06:34 pm
You guys are funny.

The Republicans have a problem. They hate Spanish speakers. They hate homosexuals. They hate atheists. They hate pacifists. They hate feminists. They hate "liberals". They hate anyone who cares about civil rights.

The Republican party has alienated Blacks and Hispanics and Muslims and homosexuals and any woman with even a touch of sympathy for feminism.

with all of the people they hate and have alienated, they are left with an angry white minority. This is not a good way to maintain political power.

Conservatives have grabbed a disproportionate share of political power by their unholy alliance of Christian fundamentalism and greed. This alliance is now breaking (and this is long overdue).

I believe we are about to see nothing less than the end of the Republican party and a big shift in a conservative movement that has become morally and philosophically bankrupt... as well as deeply out of touch with the American public.

The elections this November; both presidential and congressional, will show that I am correct.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 06:45 pm
demagoguery personafied folks.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 06:48 pm
okie wrote:

You are mistaken.

I am not a Republican.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 06:51 pm
okie wrote:

I cannot believe that the cross jesus bore up Calvary had more heft to it than the irony you have loaded on yourself in this post.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:12 pm
You guys are dead wrong, and we just disagree totally philosophically. ebrown loves to throw out accusations of racism, hatred, greed, the list goes on, and not only is it totally wrong, but very offensive. It is pure demagoguery, but then I have come to expect it out of the likes of liberals these days. I think your mindset is not only wrong, but actually dangerous. I should sit down and read Jonah Goldberg's book, "Liberal Fascism," and from what I hear about it, you guys should read it. Open up your mind instead of swallowing your liberal bilge that you learned somewhere.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:15 pm
okie wrote:
You guys are dead wrong, and we just disagree totally philosophically. ebrown loves to throw out accusations of racism, hatred, greed, the list goes on, and not only is it totally wrong, but very offensive. It is pure demagoguery, but then I have come to expect it out of the likes of liberals these days. I think your mindset is not only wrong, but actually dangerous. I should sit down and read Jonah Goldberg's book, "Liberal Fascism," and from what I hear about it, you guys should read it. Open up your mind instead of swallowing your liberal bilge that you learned somewhere.
you read a book?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:37 pm
okie wrote:

Whatever you do, don't read John Podhoretz's review of the book.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 12:36 am
Don't worry, I won't. If I care about the book, I will read it and do my own review instead of finding out what somebody else thinks about it. Maybe you should do the same. Try thinking for yourself.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 12:41 am
okie wrote:
Try thinking for yourself.

Translation... try thinking like sheeple from Oklahoma...
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 04:20 am
"Remember, Jesus never rode a elephant."

I did a lot of thinking after attending a roundtable last week. I heard many conservatives talking about how the programs liberals/progressives push forward can be abused. I kept thinking about it after I left and then I realized that conservative policies can be taken advantage of too.

The difference I see it who abuses these policies. Individuals abuse liberal policies, and industry abuses conservative policies. Given this observation, I'm inclined to promote progressive politicians for the reason that we can hold individuals accountable. Our legal system is too easily sidestepped by big bussiness.

As for Democrats talking about different groups etc, good. Democrats tend to try to govern for all the citizens, not just some of the citizens.

The republicans of the past did too, but as of late, I just don't see it. I am however pleased that McCain was choosen for the republicans. He's an alright guy. He's not my candidate, but he's the type of politician which can help remodel the Republican party, even if he loses.

T
K
O
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:48 am
ebrown_p wrote:
You guys are funny.

The Republicans have a problem. They hate Spanish speakers. They hate homosexuals. They hate atheists. They hate pacifists. They hate feminists. They hate "liberals". They hate anyone who cares about civil rights.

The Republican party has alienated Blacks and Hispanics and Muslims and homosexuals and any woman with even a touch of sympathy for feminism.

with all of the people they hate and have alienated, they are left with an angry white minority. This is not a good way to maintain political power.

Conservatives have grabbed a disproportionate share of political power by their unholy alliance of Christian fundamentalism and greed. This alliance is now breaking (and this is long overdue).

I believe we are about to see nothing less than the end of the Republican party and a big shift in a conservative movement that has become morally and philosophically bankrupt... as well as deeply out of touch with the American public.

The elections this November; both presidential and congressional, will show that I am correct.

Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Alberto Gonzalas.

Yea, they hate blacks and hispanics.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 08:52 am
w, they are the exceptions who proved the rule.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:20 am
woiyo wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
You guys are funny.

Woiyo... you seem to have forgotten Larry Craig.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:53 am
I didn't know that General Powell, Miss Rice and Mr. Gonzales were Muslim homosexuals . . . you learn something new every day!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 09:48 am
It is intereting that Nader could once again give the presidency to the Republicans.

Zogby Poll. March 13-14, 2008. N=1,001 likely voters nationwide. MoE ± 3.2.

General Election Trial Heats (3/13/08):

McCain (R) 44 % Obama (D) 39% Nader (I) 5% Other/Unsure 5%

McCain (R) 45% Clinton (D) 39% Nader (I) Other/Unsure 6%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 09:57 am
Advocate wrote:
It is intereting that Nader could once again give the presidency to the Republicans.

Zogby Poll. March 13-14, 2008. N=1,001 likely voters nationwide. MoE ± 3.2.

General Election Trial Heats (3/13/08):

McCain (R) 44 % Obama (D) 39% Nader (I) 5% Other/Unsure 5%

McCain (R) 45% Clinton (D) 39% Nader (I) Other/Unsure 6%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Obama cannot convince people to vote for him instead of Nader, then he does not DESERVE to be president. You don't get the presidency handed to you, you earn it. An Obama loss would be OBAMA's fault, NOT Nader's.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:46 am
ebrown_p wrote:
woiyo wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
You guys are funny.

Woiyo... you seem to have forgotten Larry Craig.
0 Replies