What's in a name?

flaja

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 03:57 pm
Democrats want to get irate because Bill Cunningham used Obama's middle name, Hussein. This supposedly makes people think Obama is Muslim. So why does calling him Barak not make people like he's Jewish (Barak is Hebrew for thunder) and why does calling him O'Bama not make people think he's Irish?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 762 • Replies: 11
No top replies

McTag

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 04:29 pm
I don't know why.

Maybe because they've seen his picture?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 08:34 pm
Both Senator McCain and the RNC has said that the correct term is Senator Obama.
0 Replies

jeafl

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 09:31 pm
engineer wrote:
Both Senator McCain and the RNC has said that the correct term is Senator Obama.

Then why did his ma and pa name him Barak Hussein Obama?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:51 am
Can you think of a better name?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 02:02 am
I think this says a lot about the perception of American people being scared and racist than anything else.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 02:18 am
Re: What's in a name?
flaja wrote:
So why does calling him Barak not make people like he's Jewish (Barak is Hebrew for thunder)...?

Barak, Hebrew: http://i31.tinypic.com/oh7ayh.jpg, translate to "lightning" in English.

Obama's first name is Barack.

More at <"Barack" mailbag>
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:44 am
Quote:
Barack and Hussein are Semitic words. Americans have been named with Semitic names since the founding of the Republic. Fourteen of our 43 presidents have had Semitic names (see below). And, American English contains many Arabic-derived words that we use every day and without which we would be much impoverished. America is a world civilization with a world heritage, something Cunninghamism will never understand.

Barack is a Semitic word meaning "to bless" as a verb or "blessing" as a noun. In its Hebrew form, barak, it is found all through the Bible. It first occurs in Genesis 1:22: "And God blessed (ḇāreḵə ) them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth."

Here is a list of how many times barak appears in each book of the Bible.

Now let us take the name "Hussein." It is from the Semitic word, hasan, meaning "good" or "handsome." Husayn is the diminutive, affectionate form.

Barack Obama's middle name is in honor of his grandfather, Hussein, a secular resident of Nairobi. Americans may think of Saddam Hussein when they hear the name, but that is like thinking of Stalin when you hear the name Joseph. There have been lots of Husseins in history, from the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad, a hero who touched the historian Gibbon, to King Hussein of Jordan, one of America's most steadfast allies in the 20th century. The author of the beloved American novel, The Kite Runner, is Khaled Hosseini.

But in Obama's case, it is just a reference to his grandfather.

source
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:59 am
jeafl wrote:
engineer wrote:

Then why did his ma and pa name him Barak Hussein Obama?

'Cause if they named him Senator Obama, he'd be Senator Senator Obama, and that would be silly.

Just like the name debate is.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 08:07 am
flaja wrote:
Democrats want to get irate because Bill Cunningham used Obama's middle name, Hussein. This supposedly makes people think Obama is Muslim. So why does calling him Barak not make people like he's Jewish (Barak is Hebrew for thunder) and why does calling him O'Bama not make people think he's Irish?

I think this is a tempest in a teapot. Remember when people were calling President Bush, "Dubya"? I think that the "loyal opposition" from both parties will do just about anything to discredit or disrespect a person from the opposite end. It IS a lot of silliness.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 08:21 am
I had to look up John McCain's middle name.

It happens to be "Sidney". I think "Sid" is a good nickname for him. In Spanish we could call him "El Sid" (which would be funny given the role McCain is given by right wing paranoid conspiracy nuts in "La Reconquista").
0 Replies

jeafl

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:11 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
flaja wrote:
So why does calling him Barak not make people like he's Jewish (Barak is Hebrew for thunder)...?

Barak, Hebrew: http://i31.tinypic.com/oh7ayh.jpg, translate to "lightning" in English.

Obama's first name is Barack.

More at <"Barack" mailbag>
0 Replies