[B]CAN I SUE MY CHILDCARE ? SHOULD I SUE ?

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 11:12 pm
MY CHILDCARE ADMINISTRATOR DECLINED TO LET ME VIEW THE TAPE TO SEE HOW MY TEN MONTH OLD FELL OUT OF AN INSIDE STANDING SWING THAT HAS STRAPS ON IT AND BUMPED HIS HEAD. IT FEELS LIKE SHE IS BEING REALLY EVASIVE WITH ME. I HAVE A SIGNED STATEMENT FROM HER TELLING ME SHE SAW IT ALL ON TAPE, BUT WHEN I ASK TO SEE THE TAPE SHE SAYS IT UNDER REVIEW WITH HER BOARD OF MEMBERS SINCE THEY ARE A CORPORATION.
PLEASE HELP, NOT SURE WHAT T0 DO?
MY SON ENDED UP WITH A LITTLE KNOT ON THE BACK OF HIS HEAD, HE'S FINE NOW, BUT IF MY HUSBAND AND I WOULD NOT HAVE INSISTED ON MAKING AN INCIDENT REPORT OR WANTING TO LOOK AT THE TAPE - SHE WOULD HAVE SENT HIM HOME LIKE ANY OTHER DAY. I FEEL THAT'S WRONG.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 732 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 11:21 pm
Sure you can sue. You can sue anyone for darn near anything.

The odds of you winning anything here are pretty slim though. How much do you figure a bump on the head is worth? $5? 10? That's not going to get you very far after you spend thousands to pay your lawyer to bring this lawsuit.

Childcare providers are usually licensed by the state that they operate in. File a complaint with the licensing agency. (Check their WWW site for the proper procedures/forms, etc...)
0 Replies

customerservicerep

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 11:29 pm
WHAT ABOUT THE FACT THAT SHE IS NOT WILLING TO LET ME SEE THE TAPE. WE FEEL MAYBE SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENED THAT MAY HAVE INCLUDED NEGLECT OR JUST NOT GIVING HIM THE SUPERVISION THAT HE WAS SUPPOSE TO HAVE.

PARENTS PLEASE GIVE ADVICE!!!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:16 am
No-one will give you advice if you scream at them in large red letters! In fact it probably indicates just what a panic merchant you are.

1. kids bounce Im a parent of two almost grown up teenagers so I do know what I am talking about.

2. Your child has a bump on the head. For christs sake woman its just a bump on the head. Kids fall over, overbalance, bang and scrape themselves all the time. Why do you automatically assume there is a child beater or neglect at your center.

I'd get over it if I was you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 06:11 am
Customerservicerep--

Welcome to A2K.

Is your child still attending that Day Care Facility? If so, why.

I agree with Dadpad. Kids get bumps. Your child does not seem to be physically harmed or emotionally traumatized. Are you trying to spin that lump into gold?

If you don't trust the people at Day Care, take your child elsewhere--or stay home with your child.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 07:55 am
customerservicerep wrote:
WHAT ABOUT THE FACT THAT SHE IS NOT WILLING TO LET ME SEE THE TAPE. WE FEEL MAYBE SOMETHING ELSE HAPPENED THAT MAY HAVE INCLUDED NEGLECT OR JUST NOT GIVING HIM THE SUPERVISION THAT HE WAS SUPPOSE TO HAVE.

PARENTS PLEASE GIVE ADVICE!!!

What about it? While you may WANT to see the tape, you have no legal right to see it. The tape is the property of the daycare center and they can do what they want with it. If they don't want to show it to you they don't have to.

Once again, file a complaint with the state licensing agency. They, as a part of their investigation of the complaint, can demand to see the tape and they would determine if there is neglect.

Your problem here is that you are trying to play the part of parent, private investigator, state oversight agency and lawyer and you only have the relevant experience for one of those. There is already a system for dealing with this exact sort of issue. USE IT!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 08:00 am
Was it an ABC learning centre?

No point in trying to get money from them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:33 am
I agree with fishin. I once had an incident at a daycare center. The incident really wasn't the day care's fault as it was another child that harmed my child - it was more an issue on how or did not communicate the issue to me until I picked up my child. I called the state agency simply to talk with them and also for advice if the incident was harmful to my child. Just simply talking with them helped me feel better.

In an unrelated incident, my child did get minor injury at daycare - what kid isn't as some one else said going to get a cut, bump or scraped - they're kids. They had the entire incident written up and what they did to help my child. I signed it as there was no real damage and we went on.
0 Replies