When do kids go back to school after summer?

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 03:32 pm
Wow, you can really tell I'm not a parent, huh?

When I was a kid, school started, um, I think with a week of Labor Day?

It seems they go back earlier now.

I ask because we're planning a trip to Niagara Falls, and end of Aug, beginning of Sept to mid Sept seems like a good time weather wise. If if the kids are back at school it would avoid a lot of crowds.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,393 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 03:42 pm
It varies. It's usually around Labor Day, yep, but it's all over the place. (Some start school earlier, some don't, without much rhyme or reason.) Early September is probably safe, but there may still be families on vacation in late August.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 03:50 pm
From friends/family around the country, it seems like my kids start the latest - they start during the week after labor day. Most others I know start late August or right before labor day.

If Disney is any indication of when summer vacation ends (and I would suppose it must be), they lift their restrictions for employees getting discounts/free entrance to family/friends right around that time. A couple of years ago we went to Disneyland end of Aug beg of Sept and were able to get in the parks free - thanks to a friend that works there - it was the first weekend after summer the restrictions were lifted.

Make a long story short - it should be good timing.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:19 pm
whoo hoo....thanks!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:22 pm
Should Tico, Tai Chi, JoeBlow, Intrepid, Set and I stand on the other side of the bridge and wave at you?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:23 pm
Naw...I'll be on your side. That's where all the good stuff is.

We can all go on the Maid of the Mist together!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:25 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Maid of the Mist on the American side? And isn't Beth one of those pesky Canadians?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:26 pm
Ooh, that'd be fun!

Mebbe the hamburgers would consider a road trip for that Cool
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:27 pm
My favorite part of my last trip to Niagara Falls was my interaction with a praying mantis in the parking lot of the motel.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:30 pm
Let me get this straight.
They have praying mantisis in Canada?

Did it try to hit you up for cab fare in the hotel parking lot?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:41 pm
May not be glamorus destination, but the places that typically seem to appeal to other vacationers leave us flat. No interest in Hawaii, Cancun, anywhere tropical.

Florida...yuck, lived in S. Fla. more than 10 years total, what's a vacation spot for some is everyday for me.

Disney World? I can't remember how many times I've been the host for guests all excited about going there. Get's old after half a dozen times.

We're toying with the idea of going to Niagra for a few days, then driving around New England. Then....flying to the Grand Canyon, taking a gander at the big hole, then renting a car and driving back to Texas, taking the Scenic route through Colorado.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 08:53 pm
Chai wrote:
Let me get this straight.
They have praying mantisis in Canada?

Did it try to hit you up for cab fare in the hotel parking lot?

It didn't hit me up for cab fare, but it certainly provided me with entertainment. I would take my finger and try to touch its head and its head would move back much in the fashion of a small extraterrestrial being. We parted company after playing for fifteen minutes or so. I will never forget him.

And by the way, Chai, you are into gardening, are you not?

Try some
0 Replies