Nader Reaches Nadir? Announces Run for President

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:26 am
I've known Ralph Nader since the 1960s, have always admired him, voted for him two times. But every time he runs lately, sadly, I lose respect for his idealism, his ego, and his lack of regard for the consequences. He has become a sad figure and I don't think he can do as much damage to Obama this year. ---BBB

Nader Reaches Nadir? Announces Run for President
Published: February 24, 2008 10:50 AM ET

Ralph Nader said Sunday he will run for president as a third-party candidate, criticizing the top White House contenders as too close to big business and pledging to repeat a bid that will ''shift the power from the few to the many.''

Nader, 73, said most people are disenchanted with the Democratic and Republican parties due to a prolonged Iraq war and a shaky economy. The consumer advocate also blamed tax and other corporate-friendly policies under the Bush administration that he said have left many lower- and middle-class people in debt.

''You take that framework of people feeling locked out, shut out, marginalized and disrespected,'' he said. ''You go from Iraq, to Palestine to Israel, from Enron to Wall Street, from Katrina to the bumbling of the Bush administration, to the complicity of the Democrats in not stopping him on the war, stopping him on the tax cuts.''

''In that context, I have decided to run for president,'' Nader told NBC's ''Meet the Press.''

Nader also criticized Republican candidate John McCain and Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton for failing to support full Medicare for all or cracking down on Pentagon waste and a ''bloated military budget. He blamed that on corporate lobbyists and special interests, which he said dominate Washington, D.C., and pledged in his third-party campaign to accept donations only from individuals.

''The issue is do they have the moral courage, do they have the fortitude to stand up to corporate powers and get things done for the American people,'' Nader said. ''We have to shift the power from the few to the many.''

Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, speaking shortly before Nader's announcement, said Nader's past runs have shown that he usually pulls votes from the Democratic nominee. ''So naturally, Republicans would welcome his entry into the race,'' the former Arkansas governor said on CNN.

Nader also ran as a third-party candidate in the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections. He is still loathed by many Democrats who call him a spoiler and claim his candidacy in 2000 cost the party the election by siphoning votes away from Al Gore in a razor-thin contest in Florida. Nader vociferously disputes the spoiler claim, saying only Democrats are to blame for losing the race to George W. Bush.

Though he won 2.7 percent of the national vote as the Green Party candidate in 2000, his percentage dropped to just 0.3 percent as an independent in 2004, when he appeared on the ballot in only 34 states.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 415 • Replies: 8
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:35 am
He'll get my vote.

Anybody but Obama in 2008!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:48 am
he's a jackass and a dickhead IMO. a perfect example of how power and adulation corrupt. He waqs okay at one time.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 12:03 pm
Bear
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
he's a jackass and a dickhead IMO. a perfect example of how power and adulation corrupt. He waqs okay at one time.

I disagree that he is a "jackass and a dickhead." The Ralph Nader I knew so well was a wonderful person who did a lot for the common good. His later idealism caused him to make mistakes with regard to running for president against George W. Bush.

BBB
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 12:56 pm
I think his day has passed and to continue running is a bit pathetic. When he ran in 2000, he made a point that there was little to separate the two candidates (little did we know...) and he represented an alternative. His candidacy moved the parties towards his positions. But that was then. No matter who wins the Democratic nomination, there will be a clear choice between the candidates in November. I don't know that he has anything to add to the debate.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 01:07 pm
engineer
engineer wrote:
I think his day has passed and to continue running is a bit pathetic. When he ran in 2000, he made a point that there was little to separate the two candidates (little did we know...) and he represented an alternative. His candidacy moved the parties towards his positions. But that was then. No matter who wins the Democratic nomination, there will be a clear choice between the candidates in November. I don't know that he has anything to add to the debate.

I agree.

BBB
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 02:31 pm
Re: engineer
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
engineer wrote:

I agree.

BBB

He gives those of us who cannot buy into this Obama nonsense, and those of us who are pissed at McCain's pandering to the far right an option during this election.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 07:55 pm
maporsche wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
engineer wrote:

I agree.

BBB

He gives those of us who cannot buy into this Obama nonsense, and those of us who are pissed at McCain's pandering to the far right an option during this election.

But no better option than staying home or voting for a write-in. Would Nadar just be a protest vote? Somehow I doubt he represents your views on the issues.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 07:57 pm
engineer wrote:
maporsche wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
engineer wrote:

I agree.

BBB

But no better option than staying home or voting for a write-in. Would Nadar just be a protest vote? Somehow I doubt he represents your views on the issues.

His views match up to mine as well as Clinton's or Obama's do.
0 Replies