Theists cannot be selfless

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:53 am
I have judged no one. The Word of God judges.

That verse is talking about judging hypocritically. There is also a verse in the Bible that says we who are spiritual judge all things. We discern what is right and wrong according to the Bible.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 01:32 pm
Thanks, Arella Mae. Smile
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 03:39 pm
arella is correct. the bible is clear that while we aren't to act hypocritically like the pharisees, we are to discern between right and wrong and stand against sin. And Christ even said to rebuke(with love) our brothers and sisters who sin. Also we have to be willing to heed righteous rebuke when we are sinning. The bible even gives instructions on church discipline. There is a difference between judging righteously, according to Jesus' instructions, and being a judgemental hypocrite.

sorry to anyone i haven't responded to in a while, I have had the flu.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 04:00 pm
Quote:
There is also a difference between judging and judgement. What you refer to as discernment is still judging.
Quote:
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you vikkor. No I don't observe the Sabbath. That commandment is not repeated in the New Testament. I go to church on Sunday.
one
Quote:
It doesn't matter what man or science says about homosexuality. I believe God's word. Homosexuality is wrong in God's eyes according to the Bible. But that is between the person and God, not me. The farthest I will go with it is to say what the Bible says about it. I don't treat people harshly because of their sexual orientation, etc.

Fair enough I guess, for it appears that, from yourself, no harm comes of such.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:22 pm
Hey kate! I'm so glad you are feeling better. That flu this year was horrible. Hubby and I both had it earlier.

Vikkor I'll work on explaining the NT completes the OT and get back to that. You have, in my opinion, a very good grasp of the difference between judgment and discernment. I find that extrmely beneficial when discussing issues such as we are.

Quote:
ONE: Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

TWO: 1 John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols.
Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

THREE: 1 Timothy 6:1 ... that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

FOUR: Matthew 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Mark 2:27-28 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Hebrews 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh [day] on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Hebrews 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from his.

FIVE: Matthew 19:19 Honor thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
Ephesians 6:1-3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

SIX: Romans 13:9 Thou shalt not kill

SEVEN: Romans 13:9 ... Thou shalt not commit adultery.

EIGHT: Romans 13:9 ... Thou shalt not steal.

NINE: Romans 13:9 ... Thou shalt not bear false witness.

TEN: Romans 13:9 ... Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:39 pm
vikkor,

I found this on one of my favorite sites for questions about the Bible (www.gotquestions.org). I sincerely hope this helps. It explains it much better than I could ever hope to.

Quote:
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:57 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
I have judged no one. The Word of God judges.

That verse is talking about judging hypocritically. There is also a verse in the Bible that says we who are spiritual judge all things. We discern what is right and wrong according to the Bible.

You are right on that, Arella Mae.

Malachi 3:18: "Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not."
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:09 pm
Hi Arella,

Thanks for both the Ten Commandment quotes in the NT, and for the post on the NT completes the OT.

In relation to the last - It seems I already knew most all of it, for there was nothing in there that particularly surprised me. What I still don't quite understand though, is why you think such 'completion' invalidates the Ten Commandments?

By that I mean, there were certainly prophesies completed in the NT, and the OT helps explain the NT, but I didn't see anything that said 'the OT is now no longer to be followed'....so the way you have used "The NT completes the OT" saying (to say words to the effect of - any of the ten commandments not repeated are invalid) - that seems to have a philosophical ring to it, rather than scriptural.

As for the Sabbath day, in the end, I'm not overly concerned by it (as of course, I'm not Christian). The reason I've asked specifically about it, is it is the one commandment out of the Ten Commandments that has dissappeared from Christian life - the rest remain (yet people still retain a 'sabbath day' of sorts - a day of worship). And of course, there is the matter of God not changing, yet this one thing changing (as I said previously, troublesome verse)
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:19 pm
Quote:
As for the change to the Sabbath day - the main argument I've heard for the changing of said day, in differing variations, is that it was changed to reflect Jesus rising from the dead. I've never found a particularly good answer from the people I've asked - it has always appeared to be based on texts that allow a wide degree of interpretation. Perhaps the NT completes the OT can provide a decent answer.

The thing is that in the ot before Christ died, the jews were under the old covenant. And being under the old covenant they had to follow the 316 laws given by God, the saturday sabbath being one of those. The ot does foretell of a time after the Messiah comes, when God would give a new covenant. When Christ died for our sins, a new covenant was ushered in. One where people who follow God arent under the law anymore but under grace. Some good examples of this is 1. acts 15 when paul, james and barnabas said that gentiles didnt have to keep the law 2. the whole book of hebrews which shows that we are under a new covenant now.
The saturday sabbath as i stated earlier was a jewish law. After Christ rose from the grave(on sunday) the new test church came together to worship on that day in remembrance of the Resurrection(acts shows this). THis is why christians today worship on sunday.

now in no way does this make the ot obsolete. The whole point of the law was to point out mans sins and show the need for a Savior.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:40 pm
Kate, if I remember from Acts, it certainly does show the apostles at the synagogue on Sunday (and Saturday)...and nowhere in it (or anywhere in the Bible) does it claim Sunday is the new day of worship. If you look at Arella's previous post, you will see the the disciples talking about the sabbath day as if it still existed.

You will also find that Jesus said he didn't come to destroy the law (can something be any clearer?) but to fulfill it (this can't mean destroy, because he already says that's not the case) - which If I remember right, can also mean in ancient hebrew/greek 'uphold'.

The biblical teaching that we are under grace and not the law, does not invalidate the law - sin among other things is the breaking of the law, and grace is what saves us...therefore we are 'not under the law'. The law is what caused the fall of Adam and Eve, grace (and the sacrifice of Christ) is what saved his descendants.

Have to run off to work now.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:23 pm
vikkor,

I don't recall saying that the NT invalidates the Ten Commandments. What I have stated is the dietary laws are done away with.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 06:31 am
My apologies then, I haven't seen your comment about dietary laws, and I did see this one :

Quote:
No I don't observe the Sabbath. That commandment is not repeated in the New Testament.

Which is what gave me the impression you believed the Ten Commandments had been changed / invalidated or some such.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 07:47 am
I can see how you could have gotten that impression from what I said. So I'll be more clarifying next time. Laughing
0 Replies