what are the top 10 issues in america?

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:23 pm
what are the top 10 things holding us back from being successful and prosperous?

id list poor education #1 but i dont have the experience to know what the rest could be.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,708 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:26 pm
A world view that doesn't have the USA as the center but rather participating in a world full of interesting and wonderful cultures.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:29 pm
dadpad wrote:
A world view that doesn't have the USA as the center but rather participating in a world full of interesting and wonderful cultures.

Hey, stop judging all of us by that monkey in the White House.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:40 pm
this sucks im serious. i read all the bs news blah blah, whats really needing attention in the united states? besides the big ass ugly elephant in the room that is bush.. lol wow , i mean, what the hell is he doing? run the damn country already.

i could do a better job.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:40 pm
Yes we are all individuals.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:46 pm
Actually, I think America's greatest weakness is that we associate happiness with material goods. Instead of investing in our society, we only look to invest in our individual selves. We are obsessed with holding onto every penny we make instead of investing in equality and opportunity for all. We don't want to pay for our roads and bridges, but we want to afford big fancy cars to drive on them. We don't want to pay for everyone to have health care, but we want to spend money on nose and boob jobs. We hate paying school taxes, but we complain when poor people do not have the skills to get good jobs. We pretend to be patriotic, but we swear no allegiance to anything except the all mighty dollar.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:54 pm
wow meanie greenie Smile hit the nail on the head if i say so myself.

want want want , but no work work work.

i think outsourcing is also a big detriment to american society, what happens when we need to buy the stuff the people we outsourced create when our dollar isnt worth he paper it is printed on?

ive noticed it pays alot more to be a good liar than a good worker.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:58 pm
Can't claim credit for the theory -the Buddhist beat me to it.

Here's an article you might like OG:

Looking for Happiness
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:00 pm
Here's the summary:

Quote:
The Keys To Joy
Eric Weiner on happiness:

• "Happiness is other people, much more than we think. Personal happiness is an oxymoron. It really is about relationships with friends, family, strangers."

• "The happiest countries I found actually do not contemplate happiness all that much, at least not in the personal way that we do."

• "The great irony is that most Americans are pursuing happiness, but the pursuit of happiness is one of the chief sources of unhappiness."

• "I think you can change your mood and level of happiness by moving somewhere. It doesn't mean you're running away from something, you might be running to something."
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:04 pm
"I think you can change your mood and level of happiness by moving somewhere. It doesn't mean you're running away from something, you might be running to something."

that line hit me the most.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:44 pm
lol, swiss "like clockwork" haha .

anyways ty for linky
0 Replies

altreyu

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 12:28 am
1) Health care - America is the only industrialized nation that doesn't provide universal health care -  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care. We are also one of the only countries in the world that allows companies (employers and insurance) to profit off the health care coverage they provide. In the US alone the for-profit sector remains largely unregulated by agency or law, encouraging companies to make decisions regarding the care they will provide to a patient to based on profitability. Whatever your view is on universal health care, profiting off of the sick has got to be something we all can agree could probably go.

2) Public Education - 14th in reading; 17th in science; 25th in math .... and we are spending less than ever on our public schools at both the state and federal level.

3 ) Cost of Higher Education - higher education even technical schools are increasingly cost prohibitive for many Americans. We currently have 2M jobs in this country that remain vacant due to lack of professional preparation. This inability to afford or access education will ultimately limit equal opportunity and human ambition, which in turn will limit invention, innovation, and entrepreneurship.

4) Income Inequality - The disappearing middle class and the gap between the rich and the poor.

5) Decline of Journalism and the Corruption of the American Free Press - pressure and involvement by top down command and control news  corporations and conflicts of interest. Coercion of journalists by corporate structures and the encouragement of repetitive simplistic rhetoric rather then a promotion of diversity of stories, perspectives, angles and opinions. The latter is more expensive and former requires less work. News channels are more entertainment driven to capture audiences, which ultimately means less complicated reporting.

6) Corruption of American Politics - super pacs, lobbyists, decreased limits and less regulation on all these things including election spending. The result is a stronger legislative focus on collective private interests vs. public (individual citizen) opinion.

7) Obesity and Lack of Exercise - the excess of more and more food, surgery snacks, sodas, and more palatable fatty foods is causing obesity. Technology, TV and less opportunities to be active is resulting in a lack of exercise. Takes more discipline and commitment to stay healthy and within weight. However, we are many times encouraged by our environment, our social circles, and our personal motivations to engage in unhealthy behaviors.

8) Parent Involvement & No Parent Homes - mom and dad both working, or mom and/or dad not around.

9) Squeezing Small Business - Inability to compete - government breaks and subsidies designed to help medium to large and in some cases very large businesses, leaving less focus on small and very small startups or entrepreneurs

10) Personal Responsibility in Politics, Broader Community, and Influencing Positive Change
0 Replies