New McCain scandal; sex brings down another candidate?

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:00 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,641 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:06 pm
Sex is only naughty when democrats do it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:12 pm
BBB
Too early to know if the report is true. The Times had the story for several months, but waited to publish until after McCain had won the republican campaign. If the sex part is not true, the part about his doing a lobbyist favors is equally bad. If it is, it is deadly for McCain.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:17 pm
BBB
Since Mitt Romey only "suspended" his campaign, will he restart it?

BBB
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:18 pm
The Times was ready to publish the story right before the NH primary but McCain convinced them to hold off.

I wonder if Romney is going to "unsuspend" his campaign.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:19 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Since Mitt Romey only "suspended" his campaign, will he restart it?

BBB

LOL you must be watching Olbermann too...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:32 pm
Rox
My dogs were watching Keith and told me about McCain scandal. My dogs are such gossips.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:35 pm
MCCAIN PLEADS WITH NY TIMES TO SPIKE STORY
MEDIA FIREWORKS: MCCAIN PLEADS WITH NY TIMES TO SPIKE STORY
Thu Dec 20 2007 10:49:27 ET
Drudge Report

Just weeks away from a possible surprise victory in the primaries, Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz has been waging a ferocious behind the scenes battle with the NEW YORK TIMES, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned, and has hired DC power lawyer Bob Bennett to mount a bold defense against charges of giving special treatment to a lobbyist!

McCain has personally pleaded with NY TIMES editor Bill Keller not to publish the high-impact report involving key telecom legislation before the Senate Commerce Committee, newsroom insiders tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

The paper's Jim Rutenberg has been leading the investigation and is described as beyond frustrated with McCain's aggressive and angry efforts to stop any and all publication.

The drama involves a woman lobbyist who may have helped to write key telecom legislation. The woman in question has retained counsel and strongly denies receiving any special treatment from McCain.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:35 pm
A "scandal" about an almost affair eight years ago? Ho hum.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:40 pm
I always wondered what Condolezza Rice did to get an oil tank named after her:

http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/events-images/079_rice_tanker2050081722-8461.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:41 pm
engineer wrote:
A "scandal" about an almost affair eight years ago? Ho hum.

Not just the affair, but the telecom legislation that he wrote on her behalf.

At first, I thought the same as you - but when I actually READ the story, it doesn't look great for McCain.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:46 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

At first, I thought the same as you - but when I actually READ the story, it doesn't look great for McCain.

Cycloptichorn

Lobbyists have written most of the legislation for years, it was part of the whole outsource the government functions scheme, so what is your point? How is this special?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 07:49 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Lobbyists have written most of the legislation for years, it was part of the whole outsource the government functions scheme, so what is your point? How is this special?

It can be used a few ways against him -

First, he's a serial adulterer. He married the current Mrs. McCain only a month after divorcing the first one.

Second, when he talks about his 'legislative accomplishments' this will be used as a dagger right in the heart. Who was he accomplishing things for?

Third, it has a sex angle - and we all know how well that plays.

One way or the other, not good for McCain. The Drudge link above, talking about his furious efforts to deny the story and his hiring of a lawyer, aren't good for him either; if he didn't take it seriously he wouldn't be doing such things.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:26 pm
This will bloody him, but it will be by rubbing out that whole moral superiority thing he had going on (which after his history as part of the Ketting Five was a stretch anyways). I have no doubt but that this attack comes from the moral conservative wing of the GOP, and that McCain hoped that they would have better sense. Putting this knife into McCain is at best pointless violence, at worse it is counter productive because the Conservatives show up their lack of character and lack of commitment to to GOP.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:28 pm
hawkeye
hawkeye10 wrote:
This will bloody him, but it will be by rubbing out that whole moral superiority thing he had going on (which after his history as part of the Ketting Five was a stretch anyways). I have no doubt but that this attack comes from the moral conservative wing of the GOP, and that McCain hoped that they would have better sense. Putting this knife into McCain is at best pointless violence, at worse it is counter productive because the Conservatives show up their lack of character and lack of commitment to to GOP.

You may be right about conservatives leaking the story to the NY Times.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:38 pm
John McCain forced to deny romantic link with lobbyist
The Times
February 21, 2008

John McCain forced to deny romantic link with lobbyist
John McCain, 71, has fiercely denied the report in the New York Times

John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, was last night romantically linked to a 40-year-old female political lobbyist and accused of granting her clients political favours.

Mr McCain, 71, fiercely denied a report in the New York Times which stated that eight years ago, during his first run for the White House, his aides were so concerned about his relationship with Vicki Iseman that they blocked her access to him to "protect the candidate from himself".

Mr McCain and Ms Iseman both denied to the newspaper - which has been sitting on the story for several weeks - that they had ever had a romantic relationship. The story was first alluded to on the Drudge Report website just before the Iowa and New Hampshire nomination contests, but after frantic lobbying by Mr McCain and his aides at the time the New York Times did not publish it then.

It was unclear last night what impact the allegations would have on Mr McCain, who is now on the verge of wrapping up the Republican nomination after staging an extraordinary political comeback. He had been written off in the presidential race six months ago when his campaign collapsed.

The timing of the allegations comes as Mr McCain had begun to build bridges with his party's conservative base and as the Republican establishment have rallied behind him in anticipation of a general election fight against either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

The potentially most damaging allegations contained in the article centre on Mr McCain's reported conflicts of interests in the areas of political funding and lobbying. He has built a reputation as a scourge of the excesses of both but is accused of several instances of hypocrisy.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:40 pm
Re: hawkeye
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

You may be right about conservatives leaking the story to the NY Times.

BBB

When the Bush people wanted to plant sales pitch stories in the run up to invading Iraq they went to the NYT's...this is a well worn trail. Not that I think Bush had anything to do with this, but the conservatives know where to go to throw off the scent. Years of conservative bashing of the NYT's makes them the perfect choice for this smear operation. The NYT's have there own financial interest in playing along, given the state of the newspaper business.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:57 am
Quote:
In a statement issued by his presidential campaign, McCain spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker said: ''It is a shame that The New York Times has lowered its standards to engage in a hit-and-run smear campaign
NYT's
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:19 am
I heard one of McCain's advisors this morning repeatedly saying "liberal NY Times" and "conservative candidate" when discussing this issue. I think the McCain compaign is going to portray this as a left wing smear.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:24 am
Oh, Com'on. This is just another example of political mudslinging. I have come to the conclusion (as have many others) that power and sex go together.

Anyone remember Marilyn Monroe, or Monica Lewinsky? How quickly we forget!!!

BBB- With all due respect, I think that you would make a big deal out of it if a non-Democrat wore mismatched socks! Laughing
0 Replies