spendius

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 04:14 pm
@OnTheFritz,
COLLOQUIALISMS

Clutching Orme's left leg old Quick used it as leverage in smacking mad SHADRACH.

That's Captain Orme, his faithful servant Sergeant Quick and the devious native guide Shadrach who the Queen, Walda Nagasta, has instructed to guide them, along with Adams and Professor Higgs, to the Mur stronghold through exceedingly trying territory in Rider Haggard's interesting romance Queen Sheba's Ring.

Orme and Quick are carrying the explosives which are intended to demolish a sacred edifice larger than St Paul's Cathedral and after the accident, which I'm making up, Quick is intent on taking Orme's remains home for a Christian burial. Then Shadrach starts his funny stuff.
firefly

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 06:51 pm
@spendius,
SHADRACH

Shy Harriet addressed DAUGHTER Rachel's art class haltingly.
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 05:09 am
@firefly,
DAUGHTER

Difficult arguments usually get Hermione to expose REAR-END.
0 Replies

jovie

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 06:57 am
@firefly,
AROMATIC

Agape room's O's MACULA augerticker toc is comming

JoVe and JeSuS H. Christ

spendius

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 07:14 am
@jovie,
What other things do you do jovie to pointedly emphasise that you are different to the rest of the company you choose to join and which has got the point and finds repetitions tiresome.
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 07:20 am
@spendius,
You must realise that if we were to accept you into our community of bourgois tweeters you would be driven to more extreme measures to declare your specialness and at some point the men in white coats would feel a duty to intervene.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 08:30 am
@jovie,
Myself, I enjoy Jovie's acronyms. I like his/her avatar and I like the words s/he makes up. What is a macula? What is an augerticker? I don't know but 'macula augerticker toc' is fun to say and I'd never have come up with it myself.
It made me smile and laugh.

MACULA

My astrologically conscious Uncle loves AQUARIANS.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 08:35 am
@aidan,
Did you like this posting?
http://able2know.org/topic/11222-1554#post-4835571
aidan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:39 am
@izzythepush,
'Resivwah' is fun to say - I like that about that posting.
S/he probably shouldn't have mentioned her/his daughter in the same sentence as a **** hole, but come on - give me a break - there's so much sexual innuendo in these acronyms - maybe Jovie was just trying to cut through the double speak and say what s/he knows everyone else is talking about in his or her more socially acceptable way.

Would it be alright for me to like that posting or would you condemn me for liking that posting? I seldom like EVERYTHING that ANYONE posts. Do you?

You know what I hate the most? People trying to insinuate that they sit in judgment of what's appropriate on a freaking game for goodness sake and telling other people what they should or shouldn't like.
Jovie is as funny and original as anyone else on this thread.
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:53 am
@aidan,
Quote:
Would it be alright for me to like that posting or would you condemn me for liking that posting? I seldom like EVERYTHING that ANYONE posts. Do you?

That's not an argument Rebecca. The two parts of it are not connected.

And the sexual innuendo here is wholesome and generally entertaining.

Are you not only supporting that post izzy linked but supporting the notion that nonsense words are satisfactory in this game. Perhaps you like odd ones out too much for the sake of being controversial.

And you're not a regular anyway. I think that previous post besmirched our thread and was unnecessary.

AQUARIANS.

aidan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:07 am
@spendius,
I'm not a regular what? How do you know whether I'm regular or not?

And I bet I've participated in this acronym thread as often as anyone else aside from you, Dutchy and firefly - maybe not recently - no, but until six or eight months ago, which is when I started having to leave for work very early in the morning.

And whether or not I'm a regular is hardly an argument either. Why do I have to be a regular to voice an opinion?

I wasn't aware of that previous, particular post of Jovie's, which is why I brought up the fact that anyone seldom likes anyone's every post. I was simply commenting on the one I saw today.
And yeah, it did make me laugh and smile - the last one I mean.
I do like the sounds of words and language and its creative use. Yes, that does make me smile. No, it's not a case of being controversial for the sake of being controversial.
But whatever - nothing I say means anything. I'm not a vaunted 'regular' apparently. Jesus - and you talking about others and their 'claques'. You should be ashamed.
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:14 am
@aidan,
Do you support jovie's right to post idiotic and disgusting acronyms?

You would quickly tire of them if you had seen a few. That last one was a bit of a novelty for you and you thought you could make a righteous fuss about it.

None of the regulars voiced any opposition to my response to the post we are concerned about.

I'm not in the least ashamed of anything I've said.

AQUARIANS.
aidan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:44 am
@spendius,
I'm not ashamed of anything I said either.

I expressed an opinion:
'Myself, I enjoy Jovie's acronyms. I like his/her avatar and I like the words s/he makes up. What is a macula? What is an augerticker? I don't know but 'macula augerticker toc' is fun to say and I'd never have come up with it myself.
It made me smile and laugh.'

Apparently that constitutes a 'righteous fuss'.
You seem to be able to find righteousness, bother, fuss and/or offense where none was meant.

As I said, I was not aware of the offending acronym that I seem to have been expected to have known about somehow.

In terms of Jovie and his/her acronyms - yeah, I find them fun to say, in the main.

But yeah - I'm not a regular - so take no notice.
Keep the status quo - by all means.
And yeah - I guess I would rather support peoples' right to play the game as they see fit than to have a handful of 'regulars' weigh in, judge and censor every single post.

AQUARIANS

After quarantining unwelcome and rebellious INSURGENTS, Alfred's now smiling.

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/11222-1562#post-4860043
firefly

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:50 am
@aidan,
Quote:
You know what I hate the most? People trying to insinuate that they sit in judgment of what's appropriate on a freaking game for goodness sake and telling other people what they should or shouldn't like.
Jovie is as funny and original as anyone else on this thread.

It's not an issue of sitting in judgment and telling others what they should like or dislike. We are playing a word game that does have rules--one of which is to try to make a coherent sentence. And we really need to try to do that without resorting to neologisms if possible, simply to maintain the challenge and spirit of the game.

jovie may be "funny and original" but jovie completely ignores the rules--jovie isn't even playing the game. Just typing gibberish isn't an acceptable entry in this game. That's why I ignore jovie and respond to the poster just prior to jovie.

spendius has complained at times that some of my acronyms are too serious, he likes everything light and humorous. That's a judgment call on his part that I can chose to ignore. As long as I'm submitting a coherent acronym, he can't make a unilateral decision about the topic. At other times, I've complained that he uses neologisms, but, as long as he doesn't do it too often, I can live with it. I find the constant sexual innuendos in some acronyms tedious, but I'm not going to impose content rules.

so, I don't care what jovie's motivations are, if jovie can't play by the rules, I'm going to ignore jovie's posts. Is that unreasonable?

aidan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:56 am
No, I don't find that unreasonable at all Firefly.
But if I DO enjoy saying and thinking about the words Jovie uses and I DO choose to respond to him/her is it unreasonable that I could make the choice NOT to ignore Jovie?

As I said, I don't like or even apparently know of every post Jovie has made in this game, but when I come upon one I do like, why should I have to justify responding to it?

Is s/he often explicit and obscene or was it just the once?

INSURGENTS
firefly

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 11:59 am
@spendius,
spendius, you are being silly. Aidan is a regular here, she's been playing this game as far back as I can remember.

And this whole issue of who is "a regular" is beside the point. jovie does not submit acronyms that are at all coherent most of the time--generally they are gibberish with made-up words. That's the main reason not to encourage jovie. jovie is welcome to play the game, but not, in effect, to ignore the game that is being played and just post nonsense. What jovie posts is more like spam.

You are being needlessly nasty toward aidan. Play nice, spendi.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:08 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
But if I DO enjoy saying and thinking about the words Jovie uses and I DO choose to respond to him/her is it unreasonable that I could make the choice NOT to ignore Jovie

While I don't favor responding to jovie, for the reasons I previously mentioned, I have no problem with your responding to anyone, including jovie.
Quote:
Is s/he often explicit and obscene or was it just the once?

That's the only time I am aware of, or can remember.

But other posters are also crude or vulgar or distasteful in other threads, and, while the content of that particular post by jovie did take me aback, that sort of thing isn't even my main objection to jovie.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:19 pm
@aidan,
You're like one of those tiresome bores who condescends to grant the regulars in a pub the privilege of his company once every three months and acts as if he owns the place.

Some of us get up early too. That's no reason to have left the game. You got bored with it and did something else for a while. Now you're bored with that and you rejoin our merry band and quickly unmerry it.

I had not found any righteousness, bother or fuss on here until you burst in with a bad solipsism which you are going to defend come what may. Had you said "ooops!! sorry" when izzy showed you what we had found offensive about jovie it would have been cool.

How long would this game last if we all posted drivel like jovie does? It's so easy to do is that sort of thing that it is gratuitous.

INSURGENTS

Impali nutsuckers *7/!! So.. UR gasslemucked..( ?) en no tottlebum slush.

INSURGENTS
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:19 pm
@aidan,
Actually, aidan, I don't think that you can't make up an acronym in response to your own word. Laughing I think the next word should be...

AQUARIANS

Ask questions until all REQUIRED information's apparent, not shadowy.

spendius

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:24 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
spendius has complained at times that some of my acronyms are too serious, ...

I don't recall doing that ff. I apologise if I have.

REQUIRED

Roger's eloquent questioning UNSETTLED Irene's rigorously educated decorum.