its all good in the hood.

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:38 pm
i know some of you might have had to skimp on food sometime in your life, whats some of the most "creative" dishes youve made?

ive done top ramen soy sauce and ground beef. its like eating at panda i swear.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,333 • Replies: 18
No top replies

mushypancakes

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:41 pm
Hahaha. I've had some right horrid stuff. Whatever was in the house. Which sometimes wasn't much.

Ever had sweet mac n' cheese? Don't!

But I found out that tuna with hot sauce, or canned salmon, is very very good.

Add hot sauce or chili sauce to anything and it's edible.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:45 pm
Brown rice sweetened with molasses.

I don't recommend it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:47 pm
That's my theory, mushypancakes. Add enough ketchup or tabasco, and it will taste just like ketchup or tabasco.

Eggs are good if you don't have problems with cholorestal. Not very expensive for the amount of protein, and it takes awhile to get hungry.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:50 pm
eggs are cheaper (or they used to be!). So is rice and beans. For a few months I lived on couscous with an egg dropped in and broccoli steaming on top.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:51 pm
i put honey in rice. it was horrible. all i have is a teflon pan a rice cooker and some utensils and i cook up a STORM thought most of the time.

mexican, asian,italian, american. w/e!

some fruit n veggies, rice ground beef and like cereal and im strizaight.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:54 pm
roger wrote:
That's my theory, mushypancakes. Add enough ketchup or tabasco, and it will taste just like ketchup or tabasco.

Eggs are good if you don't have problems with cholorestal. Not very expensive for the amount of protein, and it takes awhile to get hungry.

I listened to this woman being interviewed and she sure pushed the merits of eggs.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:55 pm
My step dad, who worked for the railways, taught me to carry salt, pepper, and hot sauce. It can help to choke down any meal that comes your way. Smile

My stock items were eggs, yams, oatmeal, tuna. Tuna and eggs and tofu for protein mostly.

Then you can afford some fresh fruits and vegetables. Even if you are dirt poor, it's no excuse not to eat fruits and veggies. Even if you gotta learn to go through the soon-to-be-off produce, buy within what is on sale (which means in season) or whatever.

I've done it so it to this day grates my nerves to see ladies loading up with pop and ramen when potatoes are just as cheap. No, you don't have to buy crap - THAT is what is a waste of money, not saving you anything at all . The cost is more days off work and your health. end rant.

Call it the coke belly.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 09:01 pm
HAVENT DRANK SODA in years, i mean its just so gross, my friend gave his dog soda and i was horrified. its like sugar-acid, lets all drink sugar-acid!

i like rice, and beef, but tuna is a good idea, way better than red meat im sure but prolly high in lead.

jesus, i just realised when i go to eat, im eating artificial ****, when i drink, im drinking chlorine and flouride,some of the worst poisons , when i breath, im breathing smog and rubber and god knows what else. well, i buy filtered water.. so thats one down.

jesus christ no wonder ive been so irritable lately. my environment isnt really very good.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 09:03 pm
OGI - mercury is what's in fish, not lead. Lead is in paint. You can eat a serving of tuna once a week.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 09:04 pm
littlek wrote:
OGI - mercury is what's in fish, not lead. Lead is in paint. You can eat a serving of tuna once a week.

Maybe he's talking about painted fish.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 09:08 pm
whatever, i still dont want to be ingestin no heavy metals ya heard? haha
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 05:27 pm
Soak ramen in hot water while you stir-fry some veggies (my store sells stir-fry veggies in a mix; no cutting required). When they're almost done, toss in a protein (a little cooked shrimp, some leftover chicken cut up, tofu, whatever), the ramen, and some garlic seasoning. Toss all that around until everything's hot and serve. Pretty good!

I use a seasoning meant to make garlic bread, but you could use whatever you have. I usually throw the ramen seasoning away; it's so full of chemicals and salt. If I use any, it's only a quarter-packet or so.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 05:42 pm
Wy, that sounds like a good one.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 05:57 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
whatever, i still dont want to be ingestin no heavy metals ya heard? haha

what kind of fillings do you have in your teeth? metal? uh oh.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 01:57 pm
i dont have any fillings! but i will soon ive been to the dentist 3 times my whole life!

and i got 2 cavities starting it suckkss!!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 02:26 pm
Don't worry OG, most dentist's no longer use mercury.

The problem with heavy metals like lead and mercury is that they have saturated into our environment. It's impossible to live and not absorb a certain amount just by eating, drinking and breathing. Some metals have been reduced, it's why we use unleaded gasoline and paints. Now if we can only get the government to stop rolling back the laws that prevent such pollution, our children might actually be healthier than people who grew up 60 years ago. You can avoid a lot of toxins by buying "green" cleaning products and eating organic food.

As to cheap eats - the cheapest, healthy foods are things like lentils, root vegetables, cabbage, pasta (go for the whole wheat or egg), beans, oatmeal, and rice. Cheap and filling - buy 1 bag egg noodles ($1.29), green onions (.69) and whatever cream cheese is on sale (.99). Cook noodles, save about 1/4 cup of the hot water, then drain the noodles. Chop the green onions and add with the hot water, drained noodles and cream cheese- stir until well mixed and the noodles are coated. Fills up two people for $3.

If you search around on the web, you will find a lot websites dedicated to the art of frugal eating.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 06:30 pm
i dumpster dive for electronics and pc's , i hear doin it for food is really worhtwhile, you just catch them bringin it out the back and take it before it gets in anything (i couldnt do it though i have a thing about eating stuff i dont think is clean, with food i would say i actually have like an EATING obsessive compulsive disorder.)
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 06:27 pm
And remember the "deliberate leftovers" -- meatloaf on Sunday, refrigerate the leftovers; rice and beans Monday. Tuesday, mix the leftover meatloaf with the leftover rice and stuff bell peppers. Por a little ketchup over the top and bake. Something else for dinner Wednesday, then on Thursday, hack up the leftover stuffed peppers and put them in spaghetti sauce.

Friday's payday, so go out someplace cheap and have a treat!
0 Replies