McCain challenges Obama on financing

Miller

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:03 pm
maporsche wrote:
Obama

"I am running to tell the lobbyists in Washington that their days of setting the agenda are over. They have not funded my campaign. They won't work in my White House."

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/699806,CST-NWS-
sweet16s1.stng

Laughing
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:05 pm
maporsche wrote:
Obama

"I am running to tell the lobbyists in Washington that their days of setting the agenda are over. They have not funded my campaign. They won't work in my White House."

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/699806,CST-NWS-sweet16s1.stng

Meaning they won't work in his administration...

We'll have to agree to disagree over this semantics battle... We both have our own agendas and aren't going to change each other's minds.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:08 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Obama

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/699806,CST-NWS-sweet16s1.stng

Meaning they won't work in his administration...

We'll have to agree to disagree over this semantics battle... We both have our own agendas and aren't going to change each other's minds.

This is Miller's semantics battle.

I'm still wondering how Obama saying:

"If I'm the democratic nominee, I will join McCain in agreeing to public financing."

Is more insulting to Clinton than:

"When I'm president of the United States..." is.

It's my argument you're ignoring.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:37 pm
Not ignoring, got side-tracked.

Obama and McCain have to negotiate what a "public financing" campaign is since it is new ground and has never been done by any presidential candidate before. They also need to negotiate how compliance, oversight and infractions will be handled, otherwise it becomes a meaningless agreement that both of them are smart enough not to commit to beforehand.

Negotiations can start anytime. Finalizing an agreement with the opposing party and announcing it while the Democratic Party nomination is in such close contention can work both ways. It can insult Hillary and her supporters because of it's presumptive timing, or it can draw more supporters to Obama for having the courage to make the historical agreement regardless of what it does for Hillary.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:41 pm
Just warning you that I'll be "ignoring" the argument for a few hours. I have some other things that need doing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:31 pm
Received this in email this evening:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/02/opposing-view-3.html#more

Quote:
Opposing view: Both sides must agree
I will seek a good faith pact that results in real spending limits.
By Barack Obama

In 2007, shortly after I became a candidate for president, I asked the Federal Election Commission to clear any regulatory obstacles to a publicly funded general election in 2008 with real spending limits. The commission did that. But this cannot happen without the agreement of the parties' eventual nominees. As I have said, I will aggressively pursue such an agreement if I am my party's nominee.

I do not expect that a workable, effective agreement will be reached overnight. The campaign-finance laws are complex, and filled with loopholes that can render meaningless any agreement that is not solidly constructed.

As USA TODAY has critically observed, outside groups have come to spend tens of millions of dollars "independently," while the candidates they favor with these ads "wink and nod" at this activity. There is an even greater risk of this runaway, sham independent spending now that the Supreme Court has wrongly opened the door to more of it in a recent decision.

I propose a meaningful agreement in good faith that results in real spending limits. The candidates will have to commit to discouraging cheating by their supporters; to refusing fundraising help to outside groups; and to limiting their own parties to legal forms of involvement. And the agreement may have to address the amounts that Senator McCain, the presumptive nominee of his party, will spend for the general election while the Democratic primary contest continues.

In l996, an agreement on spending limits was reached by Sen. John Kerry and Gov. William Weld in their Massachusetts Senate contest. They agreed to limits on overall and personal spending and on a mechanism to account for outside spending. The agreement did not accomplish all these candidates hoped, but they believe that it made a substantial difference in controlling outside groups as well as their own spending.

We can have such an agreement this year, and it could hold up. I am committed to seeking such an agreement if that commitment is matched by Senator McCain. When the time comes, we will talk and our commitment will be tested.

I will pass that test, and I hope that the Republican nominee passes his.

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., is seeking his party's presidential nomination.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 03:52 am
Isn't it interesting that on February 16th McCain made a big media event to challenge Obama to public financing of the general election while knowing all along that he had already sent a letter on February 7th to the FEC to decline the matching money for his campaign.

Isn't in interesting that it turns out his challenge isn't based on any kind of alturism, but on the fact that he made a lousy deal with the bank for a loan based on his accepting public financing and now the FEC won't let him out of the deal. It was never about any agreement he made with Obama.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/us/politics/22finance.html?ref=politics

February 22, 2008
McCain Loan Complicates Financing of Campaign
By LESLIE WAYNE
A bank loan that Senator John McCain took out late in 2007 to keep his presidential campaign afloat is complicating his desire to withdraw from public financing for his primary effort.

The Federal Election Commission, in a letter it released on Thursday, said Mr. McCain could not withdraw from public financing until he had answered questions about a $4 million line of credit for borrowing that was secured, in part, in December by the promise of federal matching money.

Mr. McCain sent a letter to the commission on Feb. 7 saying he had decided to decline the matching money for his primary campaign. His request for public money, in which the government matches campaign contributions, was made last year as the campaign was running out of cash.

After his fortunes began to rise from his victory New Hampshire and campaign gifts increased, however, Mr. McCain decided against taking the public money. Taking it would have limited his spending between now and the Republican convention in September to $40 million.

Candidates not accepting public money have no limits on spending in the primaries.

For the general election, Mr. McCain has challenged Senator Barack Obama, the leading Democratic candidate, to abide by a promise made this year to use public financing for his general election if he is the nominee and if Mr. McCain does so, as well.

Mr. McCain's decision to use private money through the rest of the primaries has been challenged by the election commission, which regulates campaign finance. Its chairman, David M. Mason, has questioned provisions in a loan agreement between the McCain campaign and the Fidelity and Trust Bank in Bethesda, Md.

A modification to the loan in December requires that if Mr. McCain fails to win the Republican nomination or place within 10 percentage points of the winner, he would be forced to "remain an active political candidate" and apply for public financing, even if he did not want to.

Practically, however, the commission will most likely not address the issue before Election Day. Because of a stalemate between the White House and Senate Democrats, it has just two of the four required commissioners, meaning that it cannot conduct business.

At a news conference on Thursday, Mr. McCain said about the loan: "We think it's perfectly legal. One of our advisers is a former chairman of the F.E.C., and we are confident that it was an appropriate thing to do."

Kenneth Gross, a lawyer in Washington who advises Democrats and Republicans on campaign finance, called the commission's letter "a problem."

"There is no chance that he is going to restrict his spending," Mr. Gross said of Mr. McCain. "But without a commission, this situation cannot be cleared up. It is a bizarre situation."

The $4 million line of credit carries an 8.5 percent interest rate. It also required Mr. McCain, 71, to obtain a $4 million life insurance policy. Around $3 million has been borrowed under the credit line.

On the Democratic side, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton is receiving help from a group in raising money from supporters who have given the maximum legal amount to her campaign and cannot give more.

The group, the American Leadership Project, a new so-called 527 committee, is about to start a television advertising effort in Ohio and Texas. Its 30-second advertisements portray Mrs. Clinton as a champion of the middle class and make thinly veiled swipes at Mr. Obama.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 08:08 am
The whole thing is a bit like glass houses on McCain's part but then so much of his rhetoric of late has became one big thing of do as I say not as I do. It is like in his zeal which borders on the psychotic to become President in 2008; he is shedding every stance he has ever made which made likeable on both parties and named him a maverick and straight talker.

McCain Changes Story on Tax Cut Stance

John McCain is so desperate to run for president, he wants to befriend Falwell. It's pathetic.

McCain Turns Into Frontrunner By Turning Away From Principles

John McCain Sells His Soul: Backs Off on Torture Ban

McCain is full of it and is no position to be casting stones or taking any high roads against anybody about anything; not the least of it compaign issues. And now he is sending out a paid lawyer to say the NYT story is false as though that should mean anything.

Bennett said McCain had personally retained him

If he did not set himself up to be so above it all; his about face actions wouldn't be so hard stomach.

Edit: I should say if wasn't previously above it all; his about face actions wouldn't be so hard to stomach.
0 Replies