Fundamentalism, Wahhabism, and the sources of terrorism

hobitbob

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:14 pm
perception wrote:
James Morrison:

I mostly agreed with everything you said up to the point where you start blasting Ashcroft for his efforts campaigning NOT to lose the tools that have allowed him to foil thus far all the efforts of terrorists to hit us again.
You do agree that we have not had another attack for two years right?

What are you folks so frightened about? What you are witnessing by Ashcroft is democracy at work----he is frightened that the tools he needs to do his job are about to be taken away by the folks that gave him the tools in the first place.

Please explain how enhanced suveilance rules and infringements on search and seizure rules, as well as "selective" enforcement of immigration laws are examples of "democracy at work."
Democracy implies voter participation in the legislative process. Do you see this in eveidence in Ashcroft's work? How? What Ashcroft has introduced into the American legal system is incipient totalitarianism. Please refute this statement with valid citations, if you can.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:27 pm
Hobit wrote:

What Ashcroft has introduced into the American legal system is incipient totalitarianism.

I view this as just another of your hysterical left wing rants which does not warrant an answer. Please stop wasting my time when I could be answering serious participants. Your venomous tone is very tiresome.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:29 pm
Does anyone believe Perception?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:30 pm
I believe he is incapable of defending his own posts. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:31 pm
Is either one of you named James Morrison?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:39 pm
Still evading, percy. I am honestly curious how you can define the actions of John Ashcroft in terms of "democracy." Again, I ask that you refrain from :
Nazi publications.
Obvious forgeries that from some nebulous "email" source.
Faux.
It should be simple if you really hold this opinion, to be able to back it up.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:08 am
Hobit

I have a question for you----are you a citizen of this country or are you here on a student visa. I have a right to know what your motives are. You have been nothing but venomous toward me and anything American. Are you one of those that have come here to take advantage of our hospitality and then want to do us harm? You are sounding more and more like it.

If you will take the venom and hatred from your tone I will consider anwering you-----if you can't be civil don't respond to anymore of my posts.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:26 pm
Hobit -- This is not a real person you're dealing with, not in any way that makes sense in a discussion of this kind. His intellect is in thrall to his anger. When this problem was discussed in one or two other threads, I think the most useful suggestion was to not discuss anything with Perception. Just back off. Let him go his own route, get bored, leave. That's my plan, anyway!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:35 pm
perception wrote:
I have a right to know what your motives are.

Did I miss that law?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:54 pm
Tartarin wrote:

Just back off. Let him go his own route, get bored, leave. That's my plan, anyway!

Excellent suggestion----the discussion would be so pleasant and civil without the two of you.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 12:57 pm
Walter

I was just filling in for John Ashcroft Cool
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:01 pm
Oh, you are only his doubleganger and 'perception' isn't Ashcroft's alias?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:15 pm
perception wrote:
Hobit

I have a question for you----are you a citizen of this country or are you here on a student visa. I have a right to know what your motives are. You have been nothing but venomous toward me and anything American. Are you one of those that have come here to take advantage of our hospitality and then want to do us harm? You are sounding more and more like it.

If you will take the venom and hatred from your tone I will consider anwering you-----if you can't be civil don't respond to anymore of my posts.

Hmmm...well considering I served in the US Army from 1989-95 (Active Duty and Washington Army National Guard from 1995-1999, and have lived in the US from 1978-present (not counting two years assigned in Germany), I'll let you figure that one out, eh? Wink
Now, the real question, why should citizenship matter? Has one's citizenship any bearing on the validity of their opinions? Indeed, how is concern for the policies of one's country "venom?"
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:15 pm
Walter wrote:

Oh, you are only his doubleganger and 'perception' isn't Ashcroft's alias?

LoL---you give me too much credit----Please translate "doubleganger"
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:18 pm
Hobit wrote:

Hmmm...well considering I served in the US Army from 1989-95 (Active Duty and Washington Army National Guard from 1995-1999,

Last time I checked ----being a citizen was not a requirement for enlisted service in the Army----will check further.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:34 pm
"I have a question for you----are you a citizen of this country or are you here on a student visa. I have a right to know what your motives are. You have been nothing but venomous toward me and anything American. Are you one of those that have come here to take advantage of our hospitality and then want to do us harm? You are sounding more and more like it.

If you will take the venom and hatred from your tone I will consider anwering you-----if you can't be civil don't respond to anymore of my posts. "

This is one of the most offensive things yet in a long line of offensive things from whoever this person is who calls himself perception. Perception, of course, being one of the most inaccurate avatars yet seen.

It is a toltal waste of time and effort to even attempt to communicate with this person. Long ago, as he lost his ears and senses, his mouth grew proportionately larger.

There is nothing behind this shell that only wants to appear on a page. It is all emptiness. We have better people to talk with, and better things to do.

Tartarin, the problem with your suggestion is that he won't get bored. The man lacks all senses whatsoever.. However, let him continue to ramble, and just ignore him. One thing about these forums...it's very easy to scroll past.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:49 pm
perception wrote:
Please translate "doubleganger"

I didn't want to bother and/or upset you with foreign German words, but if you prefer dop·pel·gäng·er
(Function: noun
Etymology: German Doppelgänger, from doppel- double + -gänger goer
Date: 1851
1 : a ghostly counterpart of a living person
2 a : DOUBLE 2a b : ALTER EGO b c : a person who has the same name as another)
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 03:12 pm
Walter

Yes---I thought so ----here we would probably just use "double" even though is may not be exactly the same thing.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 03:31 pm
Here we use doppelganger a lot.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 04:08 pm
mamajuana wrote:

This is one of the most offensive things yet in a long line of offensive things from whoever this person is who calls himself perception. Perception, of course, being one of the most inaccurate avatars yet seen.

Mamaj, this has become rather routine since 12th September. Frequent comments I hear:
"Why don't you go back where you came from!" (frequently heard. The last time this morning at Starbucks)
"You people all just want to steal our technology and our jobs!"
"What are you gonna do, blow yourself up?" (from a person at the food court at UMBC when I complained about the rather pink chicken in a bunch'o'nuggets.)
If your type would fight like men, instead of being cowards we'd see who the real winners are!" (unwelcome reposnse from bystander when my girlfriend (an Algerian-American) and I were discussing the failure of teh Arab-Israeli peace plan).
"You people worship the devil and wanna' kill Christians" (Ironic, since I am ostensibly agnostic, but was raised Catholic. In fact, my family still holds out faint hope that I may enter the priesthood. Now, being familiar as I am with pre-Nicaean Christianity, the devil worship thing is discussable in terms of the development of Christian doctrine.....)
This is rather ironic, since I am a US citizen, adopted as an infant by parents from Wyoming! Smile My father, a geologist, and my mother had been living in Libya since 1959. They acquired me in 1967. I have no idea who my real parents were. I know my birth mother gave me to a Catholic Orphanage (yes, those existed in Libya at the time...still do probably), so I would guess she was a very young girl who needed to preserve the illusion of virginity...but I digress. I have come to expect bigotry,and have done my best to turn the other cheek. I won't tell you how often I had to avoid flattening people for the epithet "raghead" when I was in Desert Storm/Provide Comfort. Perception's bigotry is further proof of the intellectual bakruptcy of his position. Ah, well....
0 Replies