American Justice - Bush Style!

The Advocate

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:57 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The Advocate wrote:
I completely agree. They should be tried by military tribunal. They should not be kept hidden in a secret base indefinitely where they can be 'tortured,' based on your strict definition of 'torture,' and be denied the Geneva Conventions.

We are talking about Guantanamo, what are you talking about?

Associated Press Article on Camp 7

Military Commissions Act of 2006 wrote:

`CHAPTER 47A--MILITARY COMMISSIONS
`SUBCHAPTER I--GENERAL PROVISIONS
`Sec. 948b. Military commissions generally
`(g) Geneva Conventions Not Establishing Source of Rights- No alien unlawful enemy combatant subject to trial by military commission under this chapter may invoke the Geneva Conventions as a source of rights.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:56 pm
Re: American Justice - Bush Style!
anton wrote:

If you believe they are guilty of a crime why not send them for trial in an American court as you would any American citizen ... I always believed, in US Law, a prisoner is considered innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt?

The USA is a Potemkin Village. They mouth all the right things, boy, do they mouth them, the barrage is relentless, but the reality is much much different.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:26 pm
The Advocate wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
The Advocate wrote:
I completely agree. They should be tried by military tribunal. They should not be kept hidden in a secret base indefinitely where they can be 'tortured,' based on your strict definition of 'torture,' and be denied the Geneva Conventions.

We are talking about Guantanamo, what are you talking about?

Associated Press Article on Camp 7

Military Commissions Act of 2006 wrote:

`CHAPTER 47A--MILITARY COMMISSIONS
`SUBCHAPTER I--GENERAL PROVISIONS
`Sec. 948b. Military commissions generally
`(g) Geneva Conventions Not Establishing Source of Rights- No alien unlawful enemy combatant subject to trial by military commission under this chapter may invoke the Geneva Conventions as a source of rights.

But you said secret, hidden base and Guantanamo Bay is neither so I figured you must have been talking about something else.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 07:09 am
anton wrote:
woiyo wrote:
anton wrote:
The Guantanamo farcical military tribunal setup to try alleged terrorists is a dirge to the credibility of the United States; the world is beginning to see the US for what it really is; an aggressive bully interested in pushing its hegemony in the face of world opinion.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/bronwen_maddox/article3359595.ece

So what exactly should we do with these "fine people" who we can prove had a direct involvement in the attacks that killed 3,000 Americans?

Should we set them free? Maybe we should send them to Austrailia for holiday?

Tell me what we should do with these folks.

If you believe they are guilty of a crime why not send them for trial in an American court as you would any American citizen ... I always believed, in US Law, a prisoner is considered innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt?

Because they are NOT American Citizens.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 05:36 pm
woiyo wrote:
anton wrote:
woiyo wrote:
anton wrote:
The Guantanamo farcical military tribunal setup to try alleged terrorists is a dirge to the credibility of the United States; the world is beginning to see the US for what it really is; an aggressive bully interested in pushing its hegemony in the face of world opinion.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/bronwen_maddox/article3359595.ece

So what exactly should we do with these "fine people" who we can prove had a direct involvement in the attacks that killed 3,000 Americans?

Does that mean only American citizens are entitled to justice, that is not only incredible it is ridiculous and I believe totally untrue; what is more it is people like you who are helping to discredit what was once a respected country.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 07:17 am
anton wrote:
woiyo wrote:
anton wrote:
woiyo wrote:
anton wrote:

Does that mean only American citizens are entitled to justice, that is not only incredible it is ridiculous and I believe totally untrue; what is more it is people like you who are helping to discredit what was once a respected country.

No. It means only American Citizens enjoy protection under OUR Constitution. Enemy combatants do not.
0 Replies