Canadians rate their health-care system

Miller

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:06 pm
Health-care system needs major repairs
The poll of Canadians also found most professionals who provide the care agree.

By CHRISTINA SPENCER, NATIONAL BUREAU

OTTAWA -- More than two-thirds of Canadians think the health-care system needs major repairs or a complete overhaul, says a national poll that regularly gauges public attitudes on health.

The survey also found that most professionals who provide health care agree with the sentiment.

Sixty-nine per cent of nurses felt the system needed significant change, while 62 per cent of doctors favoured "some fairly major repairs."

The high numbers, according to Michael Villeneuve, scholar in residence for the Canadian Nurses Association, likely reflect general dissatisfaction with long wait times and concern about access to the health system.

"Some of what I suspect we're seeing is people getting tired of the discussion and debate, and saying, 'Look, I just want it fixed,' " he said.

"They think it needs to be torn to the ground and built back up."

Only about 57 per cent of those asked felt they were receiving quality health care, a figure Dr. Brian Day of the Canadian Medical Association said isn't good enough.

"I think we could do a lot better

"It's not the kind of number we want," he said.

Just how the public thinks health care should be patched up isn't clear, however.

For instance, the survey of more than 1,200 Canadians, done by Pollara in December for several national health care groups, showed deep conflict about the role of the private sector in health care.

Twenty-six per cent of those asked strongly agreed that "private insurance will lead to improved quality of health care services," but at the same time a similar percentage said it "will result in increasing health costs."

One-third thought a system of private insurance would lead to shorter wait times and improve access to health care services for everyone, while slightly more -- 36 per cent -- strongly felt private insurance would lead to "a shortage of doctors and nurses in the public system."

Both Villeneuve and Day said Canadians were confused about private insurance, with Day pointing out that 70 per cent of Canadians already have it in some form, perhaps as Blue Cross or an extended health care benefits plan.

"I don't know what you'd interpret from it -- they're really confusing numbers," said Villeneuve.

"It's how people feel, which is kind of confused."

HIGHLIGHTS

Health Care in Canada

- 68% of Canadians think the system needs major repairs or complete rebuilding.

- 57% rate their health as good or excellent.

- 57% feel they are receiving quality health care.

- 37% reported being diagnosed with a chronic illness.

- 48% believe access to good quality, timely health care will improve in the next five years.

- 49% think access to family doctors has worsened.

- 30% strongly support giving Canadians access to private clinics if wait times guaranteed for certain procedures aren't met in the public system.

Ifpress.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hanno

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:53 pm
See, that's what I'm thinking, we've got an inelastic demand and a real touchy supply. Canada's better off to just take over the whole thing, because here in the US we import the hell out of physicians, and it's still a drag in Canada. I mean, who'd be in a good mood to begin with? It's a bad situation, but hey, sucks to be sick and there ain't enough fixes to go around, but what else is new? You can complain about the cost or the government BS and crappy service, but the only way out of this mess is to let it cost what it will cost and let the market find a solution - we are after all on the cusp of new technological era.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 05:00 am
hanno wrote:
... we are after all on the cusp of new technological era.

Robots at the hospital bedside?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 05:21 am
Vote for Clinton then.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 10:20 am
I'll vote for Clinton, and if she doesn't run, then of course I'll vote for Senator McCain.

(Go Irish!)
0 Replies