"YABBER-LINER" - ALL ABOARD

Izzie

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 04:36 am
@tsarstepan,
Hey Tsar - ahhhhhhhhhh.... I know I am very lucky to live around such beauty - the moors are very special to me - they kinda have my soul - can't really describe it but I almost have to make myself breathe when I get up there - it literally takes my breath away - it's so vast and huge and... within minutes the mist can come down and you would be lost - it can be very dangerous up there too. I guess I love the extreme nature of it - blows my mind.

where I was (dunno if that will work)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dartmoor+england&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.352165,86.396484&ie=UTF8&hq=Dartmoor+National+Park&hnear=Dartmoor+National+Park,+United+Kingdom&ll=50.543054,-4.071465&spn=0.012382,0.042186&t=k&z=15

Maddie LOVED it up there - she just LOVED running around and going under the rocks and climbing - she's such a little tinker - completely different dawg when she is out and not being quiet and submissive at home. We don't go out often enough - that's going to change - I am going to walk a lot more from now on, my feet will have to tolerate - my nearest Tor is only a few minutes away - when we get back from London, we're gonna walk there.

Yep, ponies are approachable - but you have to be VERY careful - they are skittish and will give you a nasty kick if you're not careful. I just had a regular lens on my camera - maybe about 3 feet away from the ponies - except for the close up eye shot and the ones of the foal - telephotod them - must never approach the foal, the MaMaPony is very protective.

They are tiny.... I mean really tiny little animals. They had their winter coats on so look completely different than they do in the summer.

Actually, the little golden foal was dancing - he was kicking out and jumping up and down - highly spirited - I should have videod him - just lovely. If you stand with them for a while, they give you a quick once over then just carry on munching. Cute as dickens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartmoor_Pony

As for those cows - HUGE beasts - and they stare at you... just stare, if you approach them, they get up - BIG 'OLE BABIES they are - so, I didn't get too close to them. Razz
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 05:45 am
oh oh oh... wishing the Dixie Professor the best for his first day at the new job. x
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:01 am
@Izzie,
Hey there, Iz. I popped in to see Dutchy's Port Lincoln photographs. (sigh. Grim stuff, Dutchy.)
But now I've blundered onto your Beautiful Dartmoor photographs! They are wonderful. So atmospheric. And the rocks. What is it about rocks that the camera loves so much? If I was a photographer I think I could go mad with rocks!
Izzie

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 07:50 am
@msolga,
Yeah MzOlga - ahhh, glad you spotted them - love the Tors - some of them are enormous but are quite a yomp across the moors - need to have the right gear to go proper yomping. The rocks have faces..... they have so many stories behind them. That particular Tor is just a littlun - I used to go there as a kid and it seemed so BIG - when I see S-boy and Tulip's kids there, gosh, brings back memories. Gonna take Tulip up there again soon - it's a resting place for her - would be good to walk it again with her.
whiteviolets

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 04:52 pm
@Izzie,
I enjoyed your photos of the Moor, Izzie. For anyone who doesn't know, I grew up in a beautiful, remote village on the edge of the Moor. I was lucky in that my primary school head teacher was a well known Dartmoor historian and archaeologist who passed on his passion so I have had a lifelong love of the Moor. I treasure some letters from him still. For four years while living nearby, much later, my husb and I spent all our spare time studying and roaming the Moor, visiting many of the prehistoric sites, stone rows and circles, excavations, industrial archaeology etc. I return at every opportunity - you can see why!
Barry The Mod

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 05:38 pm
@whiteviolets,
AAATTTCCCHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!Excuse me,seems like I've caught a bug! Bring a brolly Captain.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:08 pm
@Barry The Mod,
Here's a tissue....
http://wowallogy.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/kleenex2.jpg
Stormwatch

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 07:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
Izzie, more beautiful pictures. You are an incredible photographer. I'd love to be able to be there and see the moors. I WILL get to England someday..I WILL...I WILL.....

Dutchy Your pictures are amazing too. The fires look so close to your son's house. Does he have to take any special precautions with the fires so close by?
Dutchy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 07:19 pm
@Stormwatch,
He just has to be vigilant Stormy, however he is pretty safe on the waterfront with none of the flammable kerosene bushes nearby. Fish factory and freezers is a different story, water cannons at the ready there but not required this time.
verbivore

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:19 pm
@Dutchy,
BEAgle..relieved to hear hes safe..yet sorry for those in tht area.wish sme thng can be dnt to the so called "kerosene bushes" if people knew thats wat they are! i dnt knw th practicality of th issue..maybe plant smethng else or do smething abt it..coz in the recent past its been recurring right? bushfires? in your part of the world! Dunno i might sound silly..but yeh wish the govt cud take some steps!

Tarsepan Smile i sure wanna copy ur words that i feel jealous of Izzies photo skills and the high ranger to be able to walk there in natures bliss!

Mismi - congrats to professor..and all the best for his start..

Bazza - lol thats a lovely tissue u got there Wink u can sneeze a lil more i guess.. yep by the time ur plans bear fruit, my lill one can join us n a backpack i guess Wink

Izzie - ur not gonna put off ur surgery for small trips? r u? Naaaaaahh..take care of ur health pleaseeee..let tht be th first priority! nd ur camera has given a magical touch to dartmoor..jst looks lovely!
Dutchy

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:46 pm
@verbivore,
Hi verbivore good to see you hope you had a good Christmas, do you celebrate that in your Country, I'm not sure. Your idea about the kerosene bush makes sense but it isn't that simple! Firstly there are hundred of thousands of acres of the stuff, and secondly the "Greenies" in this Country oppose any removal of native flora. Somehow this time there is going to be a big fight over this as it has been suggested that an open clearing of at least 500 metres be bulldozed around the entire city to prevent another fire causing destruction and possibly loss of life.
Izzie

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:04 am
@Dutchy,
TO LONDON AND BEYOND...............

we haven't packed yet - HA, we're not even dressed yet Shocked , but leaving soonish. The weather is atrocious, torrential rain and wind - NASTY

OH MY.

Will jump aboard tonite when we arrive in London Town.

Love you guys - you know how much -

can't stop now...

I'M HAVING A GOOD TIME... OR RATHER, 2010 IS GONNA BE A GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD YEAR......

BURNING THRU THE SKY, 200 DEGREES........... LALALLALLLLALAL..... HAVING SUCH A GOOD TIME, IF WANNA HAVE A GOOD TIME, GIVE ME CALL........ Wink laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllalalllallllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaa

Dutchy

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:10 am
@Izzie,
Hi Izzie, you sound pretty happy, wishing you a fantastic trip and enjoy yourself. Big farewell hug from the Beagle, please pass it on to your lovely 'Sis".
Now get moving and pack them cases whilst you sing that beautiful song LALALLALLLLALAL..... Laughing Wink
Letty

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 07:13 am
@Dutchy,
Dutchy, even Queen can't stop our Izzie now.

May not have gotten this TV show in the UK, but speaking of good times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeDdt6X8vFU&feature=related
0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 11:01 am
Hi Crew,house guests arrived safely.
Dutchy

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 01:38 pm
@Barry The Mod,
Morning crew. Thank you Harbourmaster for looking after the Captain, I know she is in good hands.

Heading for town shortly with Mrs.Beagle as the big sales are on, not only are the prices red hot the weather is also extremely hot, so not really looking forward going out.

Izzie don't get lost in big London town and say hi to the Queen for me when you visit Buckingham Palace. Smile
Izzie

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 06:10 pm
@Dutchy,
Hey Crew - looooooooooog snowy/sleety wet journey... took 5 hours - very tired and going to be having had a lovely relaxing evening with S-boy and Baz. True getleman and friend.

Love y'all - into London for the day tomorrow - will be back LATE.

Hope all are well

Be back tomorrow <yawn, desperate to sleep>

Night all. x
0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 07:15 pm
The Captain and S'boy are snugly tucked up in bed so it's safe to tell this story.I was at work (daytime! Don't ask!) when I got a text from you know who that they were on the road but the weather was pretty bad and the traffic had come to a standstill on a major road.For the past couple of weeks,TV and radio were advising drivers on long journeys to take food and a hot drink in case of emergencies,so I sent an SMS text message to her cell phone asking "Do you have food and drink?"
"Yes" she replied,"Six bottles of wine and a cheesy dip"
I give up! Typical blonde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Weather permitting,we're hitting London Town tomorrow.More later.

JPB

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 09:30 pm
@Barry The Mod,
Very Happy

You don't like wine and cheesy dip, barry?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 09:32 pm
@Barry The Mod,
Very Happy

You don't like wine and cheesy dip, barry?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.12 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 06:37:09