"YABBER-LINER" - ALL ABOARD

djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:21 pm
it was a really quick storm, with some really strong gusty winds, straight line winds they call them

WHAT ARE STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS?

There are several terms that mean the same as straight-line winds and they are convective wind gusts, outflow and downbursts. Straight-line wind is wind that comes out of a thunderstorm. If these winds meet or exceed 58 miles per hours then the storm is classified as severe by the National Weather Service. These winds are produced by the downward momentum in the downdraft region of a thunderstorm. An environment conducive to strong straight-line wind is one in which the updrafts and thus downdrafts are strong, the air is dry in the middle troposphere and the storm has a fast forward motion.

To reduce the damage from straight-line wind it is important to secure objects that can be blown by the wind. It is also important to keep trees well pruned. Tree branches falling on cars or houses produce a significant amount of damage in high wind events. Also make sure you are in a safe place when the straight-line wind strikes such as in the interior of a brick home. Storms with severe straight-line winds often also have hail and tornadoes.

Rolling Eyes tell us something we don't know Very Happy
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:27 pm
Had a bit like that here, just south of us. We got all the rain and saw the lovely lightning show, but didn't get any of the damage. Hope you and yours are ok, dj. Where exactly are you?
Night-night Iz-. Sweet dreams!
And G'morning, DeeDee1 Long time no see!
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:28 pm
djjd62 wrote:
i think brooke was spared the storms this evening, not so much in my neighbourhood, this is the second house down from ours

Oy! Sorry to hear that (((( dj )))). I saw the storms a little while ago up north of me. Looked like Toledo, Ohio got some bad stuff too... but it's just been hot and muggy here. Sucks when the power goes out. It's the most active time of the year for tornados here. Runs through July. Then in a normal season, it will start to wane. Those straight line winds are some nasty stuff. They can take down houses. Had a house straight down the road from me, last year, lose their garage and part of the side of their house from them. Take care of yourself.

Izzie......rest well, hun.

Hi deedee...glad you had a good time! Welcome back.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:29 pm
(((( dev )))) .....Hey there! Glad you escaped the brunt of the storm, too.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:31 pm
Yeah, you to, hon-. Lucky ones, we are! Good to see you! Hope you're having a good week end!
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:34 pm
devriesj wrote:
Yeah, you to, hon-. Lucky ones, we are! Good to see you! Hope you're having a good week end!

Thank you! Weekend wasn't bad. Been catching up on some stuff that I didn't get done while busy with school. Including ...sleeping. Very Happy
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:56 pm
Yeah, me too. Great minds and all that! Got major 'fi's (feminine issues) this week end. Sad Sittin' here with my wine winding down...
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:58 pm
Evening ladies, do you mind if I join you for a drink or two?
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:01 pm
Dutchy wrote:
Evening ladies, do you mind if I join you for a drink or two?

You can join me for anything you want. :wink:
0 Replies

deedeexx

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:09 pm
Good morning Dev, Brooke and Beagle. Glad you're chilling out ladies - enjoy. Move over Beagle Deedees coming in too. :wink:
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:14 pm
devriesj wrote:

dj. Where exactly are you?

southwestern ontario, about an hour from detroit
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:15 pm
I'll be in that, never experienced a ménage à trois. Laughing
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:22 pm
We're havin' a drink, Dutch- & I don't wanna spill mine! Laughing
And come on in, DeeDee. The more the merrier!

Ah, dj, a few hours north east of me then.
0 Replies

deedeexx

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:27 pm
Dutchy wrote:

Now, now Beagle - don't want to ruffle your feathers too much. You are outnumbered now. :wink: Unless of course Didge wants to join us for a drink too. :wink: Pity the captains gone to bed.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:31 pm
This old salt has sailed many seas ddxx and sure to drink a few 'maidens' under the table. Bring it on. Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:41 pm
Hi all of you. I didn't read back so I hope everyone is okay after the storms in the east. I see you guys are drinking. That is a good sign I think Very Happy
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 01:30 am
deedeexx wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Now, now Beagle - don't want to ruffle your feathers too much. You are outnumbered now. :wink: Unless of course Didge wants to join us for a drink too. :wink: Pity the captains gone to bed.

Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening

Howdy Dooooooooy All

Oh - you mean I missed out sitting on the deck last nite with the gals and the BOSUN. TimeZones Rolling Eyes Hope the girlies watched out for any garter snakes! OMGosh - and it's early morning, and I've started Rolling Eyes

K - well, wishing you all a wonderful day - oh Missy Missy Missy - are you back in DixieWorld yet?????????? So hope we get to yabber before I leave here - not sure if I will have connection immediately (they tell me I will..... yada yada yada....HA .... we shall see!!!!!!!)

Stunning morning here, the mist was down, the sun is out and burning it off fast - not a cloud in the sky now. I'm waiting for joint-easers to kick in before I can get moving so.... here is my Maddie Dawg and Scooble Dawg yesterday - I lay down on the patio (as you do) - it was like the sky couldnt get any blue-er.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/LzzieIzzie/P1020358.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/LzzieIzzie/P1020367.jpg

kk - gotta think about moving now...

so wishing you all well and lovin y'all - have a great day Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 06:04 am
Just flying by, love your mutts Izzie, Heinz variety we say down here. Laughing

How is the packing going?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 07:38 am
The first picture is one big dog. Reminds of Walt Disney World - Honey I Shrunk The Kids....The dog was in 3-D and sneezed on us. They had mist set up in front of us so it felt like the dog sneezed on us Laughing
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:32 am
Morning all! Good to see you, TTH, and captain Izzie & bosun Dutch- as well! Nothing too exciting here. Cloudy & expecting MORE rain later. <sigh> We're water-logged! Hubby is painting with a friend who has a painting company (of one), but still it's work!
Gotta go crack a book! Hope moving goes well in Izzie-land! Wish we could help, girl! I'm a pack mule! Time spent in the Army toughened me right up! Laughing (I am one of the least "Army-looking" types around!) A bit more 'girl-y' than one would expect from our nations finest! But then I digress ...
Have a great day all. Will make the rounds on the deck, (and the threads!) and see you later, or sooner! :wink:
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.13 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 04:47:52