"YABBER-LINER" - ALL ABOARD

mismi

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:10 am
Good Morning - It's a grey day here. It is amazing how they affect me. Trying to pump in some happy music. We may go down to the science center today since it is raining. At least I wouldn't see the grey then...maybe an I-Max movie...those are always fun on summer days.

I hope you all are doing well and having a good day, or had a good day. I will be back later...

take care,
missy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:15 am
Mismi nice to see you so late in the evening. Sure had a good day, took mrs. D out for lunch, and wish you the same. Very cold here tonight, down to 5 degrees Celcius, so sitting close to the fire.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:16 am
it's a nice bright day here (canada), but it's still cold in the mornings

science centers are great, wish there was one near me
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:21 am
Hi djj62, welcome aboard, nice to make your aquaintance.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:22 am
Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening Smile

Nice to see the crew sailing - we seem to have a world of weather going on.... we have RAIN and grey and misty. Not too cold tho so that's a result.

DjjD - which part of Canada are in you in - E, W or middle? Love Canada - beautiful country Very Happy

Little fella is here with Tulips boy playing pool (snooker) so they are content. Off to play table tennis in a mo. Oh.... for an ounce of their energy Rolling Eyes

Wishing everyone a coco day. Hope to see ya'll on board later Smile

edit:
oh BEAgle - hey hey - you're pretty chilly a? Need to send you a nice big blanket.... or maybe a hug will suffice ((((((((((((BEAgle)))))
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:25 am
Hey Dutchy, Hey dj...good to see you both this morning!

We love the science center here and in Mobile. Great places - I have as much fun as the kids. My parents bought us a membership for a year. It has been the best gift. It is really great on the days when there aren't many people there...we are so silly - great big fun.

Our favorite is the show where she blows things up. It is amazing...I am not kidding...we have been to see it at least 5 times...she has all these gases that she lights and there are blue and red and green fireballs...you can feel the heat from them at your seat...well - anyway..we love it.

I hear them stirring - going to make everybody breakfast.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:26 am
Izzie wrote:

DjjD - which part of Canada are in you in - E, W or middle? Love Canada - beautiful country Very Happy

ontario, right down the southwest end near the american border (detroit)
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:28 am
Ohhhh - so you were pretty snowbound for a while a? I travelled across Canada many years ago - my Unc&Aunt lived in Ontario when I visited them then and now all their family are in Calgary. Smile
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:38 am
we're actually one of the milder points in the country

http://www.websitedog.net/essexcountymap.jpg

Essex County is Canada's southernmost county, spanning 1720.00 kmĀ². At the same latitude as northern California, we are one of the most agriculturally productive counties in the country. Located on a peninsula of land that virtually juts out into the midwest United States, we are one of Canada's busiest entry points and tourist areas. So the nicknames for the area, "Sun Parlor of Canada" and "Garden Gateway to Canada" are quite appropriate.

we even have our own tartan

Essex County Tartan

The Essex County Tartan was designed to recognize the beauty and wealth of this part of Canada by Mrs. Edythe Bakes of Leamington Ontario in 1983.

Mrs. Bakes, born in 1902, spent her early years near Orillia, Ontario. As a yong woman she designed and made her own clothing. Mrs. Bakes and her husband, Arthur Bakes, moved to Essex County when Mr. Bakes took a position as Branch Manager at the H.J. Heinz Co. in Leamington.

Mrs. Bakes was keenly interested in the history of Canadian Tartans and decided to design a Tartan for Essex County. Once completed, she offered it to Essex County Council as the official Tartan of Essex County. She had it officially registered with the Canadian government and Museum of Tartans in Scotland.

http://www.countyofessex.on.ca/images/tartan.jpg

The meaning of the colours are as follows:

Golden Yellow (sunshine) for the golden harvest grains, corn, soy beans, barley, oats and wheat.
Green for the spring fields.
Red for tomatoes,"Tomato Capital Of the World", and for other fruits.
Blue for the blue skies and the waterways.
Black for the automotive industry.
White for the salt mines and fish
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:53 am
Ah - well just had a good look at that on the map - yep - you are much further down - my Unc lived in Toronto - gosh - your countries are huge - I'm sitting here thinking - ah, he's just along the road from our other crew on board.... yh yh - it looks a little distance on a map Embarrassed

My ex-hub is Scottish -

his tartan is this

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/LzzieIzzie/clarkfam.gif

which is quite bright Shocked

I kinda like your tartan there - thanks so much for putting that on board - see, nothing is trivial - I learned something today. How happy is that Very Happy
0 Replies

unclelarry

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:18 am
Good morning everyone.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:20 am
Good morning Unc - how are you? How is your lady wife - up and mobile and recovering well I hope? Hope you had a good weekend and the sun was shining for you Smile
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:35 am
Hello there! Hubby's family are from Tennessee and are of Scottish descent - McSpadden which is a derivative of McFadyen - the tartan is this:http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/misimi40/McFadyenTartanPlaid.gif

kind of fun researching all of this. His Uncle has researched their family history for years...

I am Native American descent - apparently the wrong side of the blanket even...The story goes that Sam Houston left his wife and married an Indian woman - my dad's family comes from that union. My Mom's family - well..they are just good ol' fashion melting pot....have no clue where they come from...mostly Cherokee - with a little bit of this and little bit of that mixed in :wink:

Izzie - how are you this morning? I have been thinking of you and hoping that today is a better day.

Will be in and out today. Haven't formulated a plan yet...need to though. Razz
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:36 am
Hey Uncle Larry! How you doin'?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:39 am
Hey dj...great information...I like yellow..it's my favorite color. Love that plaid....

Izzie...I like the blue too..blue and black...I had a school uniform that looked almost just like that plaid :wink: Razz
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:45 am
Ah -- Davidson here

http://www.thescottishweaver.com/images/lightwoolancient/Davidson-A-0038.jpg
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:46 am
That's really pretty JPB...
0 Replies

unclelarry

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:52 am
Good morning Izzie, my wife is doing terrific. She's getting around with the help of a cane, but after only five weeks I'm amazed at the progress that she has made.
Good morning to you also mismi, how you doin' today darlin'?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:58 am
mismi wrote:
That's really pretty JPB...

Thanks, missy. The Scottish ancestry is on my mother's side, along with English and Dutch. My father was mostly English with a bit of Blackfeet Indian from the Canadian southern plains. Both families settled in New England (Massachusetts and Vermont) in the 1600s. Most of my extended family are still in the northeastern US and New Brunswick, Canada.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 08:13 am
JPB...I don't know a lot of details...my Uncle S.T. researched my fathers family...Mom's family - they are just what they are..and happy about it! I love knowing where family comes from though...so very interesting to me. Sometimes it helps explain things! :wink:

Hey Uncle...I am well thank you...doing what I do best this morning...which is procrastinate. I am glad to hear your wife is doing so well...that is great!

I am going to putter around here a bit longer then get my boys doing something constructive. They are in the basement moving furniture right now it sounds like... Razz I think they have their jeep out running into things...I might need to go do something about that.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.13 seconds on 10/08/2024 at 10:48:30