"YABBER-LINER" - ALL ABOARD

mismi

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 05:53 pm
@JPB,
I agree - so not winter. Odd.
JPB wrote:
Quote:
oh..... I would eat my entire paycheck at one of those places.

Oh I know. I ate there the other day and when I bit into the pita - I got chills. That has only happened three times in my life. I was either starving to death or it was an amazing pita.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 08:14 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Scotsmen are in the news, trying to cast themselves off. Well, Scotsmen have always done that, eh?

Well - a Scot won the Brisbane tennis final...was looking good, too!
Dutchy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 03:04 am
@Izzie,
Hi Izzie, seems you're a tad better and that is great news. The Bosun is quite content at present, a cool change has moved in and we had 30mm of rain which was very welcome at this time of the year.

Tennis tournaments all over the Country with all the top players getting ready for the Australian Open starting next Monday. Just name them, the whole Circus has arrived, even the 'oldies' with John McEnroe.

Saw a much subdued McEnroe visiting our Art Gallery today. Mrs.B and I were spending a day in town (our Tuesday luncheon date) and happen to walk past the Gallery when John got out of a car next to us.

Hugs back at you Izzie.
McTag

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 03:37 am
@margo,

Quote:
Well - a Scot won the Brisbane tennis final...was looking good, too!

Andy Murray said, as far as the UK media is concerned, he is British when he wins, Scottish when he loses.

Heard on radio: "If Scotland gets its independence, does that mean we won't have to pretend to like Andy Murray any more?"
mismi

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 08:05 am
@Dutchy,
I love John McEnroe. I think he is hilarious. He was a hot-head back in his playing days no doubt...but he kept it interesting. Smile

I got all of my Christmas paraphenalia put away finally. I am sad. Sad

izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 09:26 am
@mismi,
Don't be sad, you've got pancake day to look forward to. My little boy is happy, he wanted a polar bear for Christmas (not a real one). There is a frozen food chain over here that has started using a cuddly polar bear to sell its produce. Recently they offered it free, as long as you ate a load of fish fingers and sent in the tokens. I did, and the bear arrived today, not in time for Christmas, but in some ways that's better.
mismi

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 10:27 am
@izzythepush,
I think that is a happy thing Izzy.

What is pancake day? I am SO interested!
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:37 am
@mismi,
It's not that interesting, when you have your Mardi Gras we cook pancakes or crepes as you call them. It's also known as Shrove Tuesday, the day before Lent when your sins are shriven. Some places have pancake races, but generally it's very low key. Not anyway near as much fun as Mardi Gras.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:45 am
@izzythepush,
today is international pancake race day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4r008ea1_0

missy, I'll send you a bus ticket if you wanna compete next year...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:54 am
@Rockhead,
How's that for coincidence? I didn't see much pancake tossing.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 11:57 am
@izzythepush,
there's no such thing as coincidence...

"Since 1950 the people of Liberal, Kansas, and Olney have held the "International Pancake Day" race between the two towns. The two towns' competitors race along an agreed-upon measured course. The times of the two towns' competitors are compared, to determine a winner overall. After the 2009 race, Liberal was leading with 34 wins to Olney's 25.[11] A similar race is held in North Somercotes of Lincolnshire in eastern England."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday

(they don't show the cookie tossing that happens afterward, either...)
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:01 pm
@Rockhead,
So International is actually two towns in Kansas? I though Liberal referred to their political leanings, I didn't realise it was a place name.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:04 pm
@izzythepush,
no, Olney is one of your'n...

and a literal race between the two towns would be difficult with that big lake betwixt us.

are you at the pub by chance?
annis

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:08 pm
Hi all

Hope all is well with you and yours! Had a day on me own and actually it was good! cleaned, done some paper work, walked dogs, done some jigsaw! Am awaiting Sgirl, tis her late night! Fboy gone to a friends for tea. Been on me own but was ok.

Hugs to all X
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:10 pm
@Rockhead,
No I'm not, I just assumed Olney was in Kansas. I had to google it to find out where it was. Is this something that goes back to WW2?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:13 pm
@izzythepush,
no, who's on first...

http://able2know.org/topic/111721-1245#post-4856327

0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Ahhhhh...that's our Fat Tuesday. Which just means let all hell break loose so you can ask forgiveness on Ash Wednesday. Go figure. Smile

Pancake day probably suits me better....I'm not really one to let all hell break loose. Though I do tipple occasionally.

Now - Rock - I have friends that live in Liberal believe it or not. And I have never heard of Olney either Izzy - so you and I are in the same boat there.

Now as to the bus ticket. I do love some pancakes - but I am pretty sure I can't compete with some of the folks that actually compete...and I am not much into tossing my cookies either. Wink But I would love to come see Kansas - after all it is where Dorothy took her trip. Very Happy
mismi

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:20 pm
@annis,
Hi Tulip,

I am on my own today too...though I love a lonely day occasionally.
Glad you are having a good day. I am accomplishing a lot too. Which I love - since that is how I determine if I have had a good day. Which is so wrong. Some days I accomplish quite a bit and have nothing to show for it.

Good to see you!
annis

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:23 pm
@mismi,
Hey Mismi,

Has been ok, I know what you mean but is looking like my children really are growing up! So now listening to happy songs! and laughing how sad am I!

X
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:44 pm
@McTag,

Mr Salmond and Mr Cameron don't quite see eye to eye

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/1/10/1326154779597/Steve-Bell-cartoon-004.jpg

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.13 seconds on 09/25/2024 at 02:18:39