"YABBER-LINER" - ALL ABOARD

Izzie

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 03:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I iz two down ....g'n't ,with my beautiful sis. No internet so using a phone I dont really get the gist of Neutral she's sleeping now so I.m going to sit under the stars. So gorgeous, life is as close to perfect as it can be. Beautiful time.

LyBxox

Thanku all, will try and post if possible - such a technophobe...I

Oooooh dolallyohhh xxxxxxxxx

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 03:58 pm
@Tryagain,
It's exhausting following you, Try. I am not clever enough I am afraid.
I hope you had a HappyThanksgiving. Hopefully it wasn't under a Huntsville Times on a park bench at all. That makes my heart sad.

I lost weight for Thanksgiving. Me and G-baby spent the night tossing our cookies. Smile (That's a pretty picture isn't it?) Better now. Kind of weak but it could have been worse. It could have lasted longer. I am thankful for little bugs that don't last long.

Iz I am sorry to hear all of that. Hopefully it gets put the way you want it soon and without too much effort on your end. ((Izzie)) Hoping Sboy gets through this asthma soon as well.

McT - beautiful pictures. Although the ones with the huge parts - well - those are perplexing. Truly.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs and kisses (sanitized)
mis
izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:44 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

I am making sweet potato casserole. It is like eating dessert....the pecans and brown sugar and butter become like toffee on the top...amazing. I only eat it once a year. Thanksgiving

That sound really nice, so I'm going to try it. Have you any tips?

On a seperate note, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here, but Christmas Dinner is wracked with family arguments and masses of turkey, that can last well into the New Year. If I had a Thanksgiving Dinner as well, I wouldn't be back on speaking terms with certain family members by Christmas, and I'd be sick of the sight of turkey. How do you cope?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Friend days weekend after.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 07:31 pm
@izzythepush,
I love it. I love my family - we don't fight much. Smile And I can find all kinds of things to do with the turkey. I didn't get to eat any - or to make my casserole due to the virus my little boy and I caught. But I got to eat left overs today that they sent home with my husband yeseterday. He was better by the time I was getting sick. So disappointing - for me anyway.

I use baked sweet potatoes. About 4. I mash them up and put 1 cup of sugar, 2 beaten eggs and 1 tsp vanilla and stir. For the topping, I mix about a half cup of flour, 1 cup of pecans, 1 stick of melted butter and one cup of dark brown sugar. I put the sweet potato mixture in the pan and smooth it out. Then I sprinkle the mix of the topping over it. Bake for about 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven...I know you are metric so I am not sure what the translation is there. :/

It is delicious - but very sweet. Smile Let me know how it goes.
McTag

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 12:02 am
@mismi,

Quote:
McT - beautiful pictures. Although the ones with the huge parts - well - those are perplexing. Truly.

In those times, a symbol of fertility, and also happiness and good luck. (!)

By the way, I saw a TV programme once, Brian Sewell I think it was poking around these parts (oo-er missus, stop it) and he said that the traditional garden gnomes we have today have evolved from little Priapus figures which once stood in gardens for good luck.
Surprising, eh.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 03:26 am
@mismi,
I've got conversion tables, I prefer using imperial measurements to metric anyway. Thanks for the recipe, I will use walnuts instead of pecans though. I don't think there's any real difference in taste, and walnuts are considerably cheaper.
spendius

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 04:04 am
@izzythepush,
But izzy--it's the pecans being expensive that makes the glop so special.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 04:11 am
@spendius,
No, it's because pecans are native American.
spendius

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:43 am
@izzythepush,
In 2009 California produced 436,000 short tons of walnuts. Pecan production is less than half that.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:49 am
@spendius,
Well it doesn't alter the fact that in the UK walnuts are half the price of pecans, and the difference in taste is so slight it's not worth mentioning.

We've got a huge potato harvest, but that doesn't make the potato a native species. In fact I think our only native food crop is watercress, everything else was introduced.
spendius

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:57 am
@izzythepush,
Where did turnips come from? Poland or Holland maybe.

When spuds were first introduced they were marketed as a health food. When nicotine was first introduced the creativity in alpha coffee shops and boozers went into orbit. Literally.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 08:50 am
@spendius,
I don't know in particular, but most of our 'native' food crops were introduced by either the Celts or the Romans.
mismi

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 09:50 am
@izzythepush,
Walnuts will be every bit as good. I love walnuts. Smile
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 11:10 am
@mismi,
Thank you, I think pecans are really nice, but they're all imported. I can see a walnut tree out of my kitchen window.

I've prepared it, but I've not used as much sugar, we don't have such a sweet tooth this side of the Atlantic, and I've used American cookbooks before, so I know what's about right for our palate. It'll be our pudding, I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll be sticking it in the oven in about an hour.
mismi

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 12:53 pm
@izzythepush,
You are wise. It really is a LOT of sugar. Especially with the topping.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 01:52 pm
@McTag,
I remember a roomful of priapic pottery in the Archeology museum in Arezzo. Made me blink, it did. Can't remember if it was Aretine or Roman, I think Roman.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 01:54 pm
@mismi,
Then there are black walnuts, I suppose a different variety, that I like but don't run into very often.
Dutchy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 03:17 pm
@ossobuco,
What's all this, turning into a cooking forum now? Laughing Might as well join in. Just filleted my King George Whiting which my son sent me, marinating my King size Prawns in a Chilli/Garlic potion for tonights BBQ. Mrs. B is doing the salads and I'm diving into my bar to find a lovely drop of white Wine. Life doesn't get much better, oh yes it's a lovely Sunday of around 28 degrees. Cheers.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 03:43 pm
@mismi,
It was very nice thank you, the kids ate it all up. I would have posted sooner, but I've had trouble moving.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.13 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 11:24:20