"YABBER-LINER" - ALL ABOARD

Rockhead

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:51 am
I hope to watch it all unfold in 4 years here on the ship again.

thanks for the cuppa captain...
Izzie

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:53 am
@Rockhead,
definitely not a great match like the 2003 match

<oooooooooooooh, I can hear Margo cussing me> Razz

defensive play - and France played well

but not well enough to beat the All Blacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK - I gotta go make a phone call - phone rang 5 mins before the whistle was blown.... "errrr no, no, can't talk, will call you back" Razz

Have a big sleep RH Very Happy

ha, Riche MaCaw just said he was absolutely shagged - ha, ya gotta love them New Zealanders Razz

So pleased for them.
Izzie

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:53 am
@Rockhead,
big sleep for you Very Happy
Rockhead

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:56 am
@Izzie,
g'nite captain.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:58 am
@Izzie,
My friends in New Zealand will be ecstatic, infact the whole Country will be celebrating, great win for the Kiwi's.

Thanks for te commentary Izzie and Rockhead I enjoyed the banter. Goodnight RH.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 04:00 am
@Dutchy,
g'nite beagle.

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Letty

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 07:01 am
@Rockhead,
Good morning Rock and Miss Izz.

Anyone remember this guy?

Peter Frampton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCe82WXr0Cg
wandeljw

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 08:07 am
@Izzie,
The weather in London today is perfect for American-style football. I hope that you made the effort to see today's special game at Wembely stadium, Izzie.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 09:58 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

The weather in London today is perfect for American-style football. I hope that you made the effort to see today's special game at Wembely stadium, Izzie.

This is the first I've heard of it. What everyone is talking about is the clash at the top of the premiership, Manchester United v City. The premiership is the most popular sporting league in the world, and this is arguably the biggest match of the season, and a local derby to boot. You really couldn't have picked a worse day for a special game in Wembley.

Here's the result United 1-6 City. That is one hell of a scoreline.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 10:51 am
@izzythepush,
The American football game will be starting in a few minutes!

Quote:
London fans glad for a glimpse of football
(By Michael C. Wright, ESPN.com, October 23, 2011)

Thousands pouring into Wembley Stadium on a windless, sun-drenched day. Despite the Bears and Buccaneers being the featured teams, pretty much every club in the NFL is represented by way of the jerseys they’re sporting on the walk into the stadium.

There’s Jay Cutler, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ray Lewis and Ben Roethlisberger. But the fans broke out some throwbacks, too. Anyone remember former Bears receiver Marcus Robinson? How about former Bengals receiver Darnay Scott or Wayne Chrebet?

One group of fans all wore Dan Marino jerseys. Three more walked past sporting John Elway’s No. 7.

On the train ride from the Baker Street station to Wembley approximately three hours before scheduled kickoff, a group of six local Minnesota Vikings fans chatted with an American Bears fan about how the local television network -- Sky Sports -- airs just one NFL game per week.

They never know which game the network will air. They don’t care. They’ll watch every week anyway.

That’s why the group boarded the Metropolitan line from Baker Street on Saturday to satisfy their NFL addiction live in person. It’s why the group navigated the gauntlet of fans outside Wembley, the vendors hawking commemorative Buccaneers-Bears scarves, the mad rush of taxis and tour buses circling the curvy streets.

With approximately an hour remaining before kickoff, the sun set near the West endzone, where the Chicago Bears orange logo is painted as Tampa Bay kicker Connor Barth warmed up, booting 45-yard field goals.

Fans quietly continued to trickle into the stadium (there’s clearly a large Chicago following in London), while the aroma of the stadium’s concessions wafted into the air.

British rock blared over the stadium’s loudspeakers, as Tampa Bay’s support staff rolled out a trio of cannons to place in front of the team’s skull logo for when the players run out onto the field.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 11:06 am
@wandeljw,
I understand Am,erican Football's desire to become more high profile outside America, but there is a long way to go. American Football's heyday in Britain was in the 1980s when it was shown on Channel 4, (Back then we only had 4 Channels), it was initially quite popular, but after about a year people lost interest. Now (with the exception of American expats) American Football is seen as a bit nerdy, if you like it, people pull your leg about it, like trainspotting.

The most memorable thing about the last time it was played, was the impact on the England match a few days later, with everyone complaining about the state of the pitch and blaming 'gridiron.' I'm not being mean, just saying you've got one hell of slog ahead of you.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 12:00 pm
Quote:
Here's the result United 1-6 City. That is one hell of a scoreline.

It's our new song, of course.

Tune: Amazing Grace.

All together now

SIX-ONE, SIX-ONE, SIX-ONE, SIX-ONE
SIX-ONE, SIX-ONE, SIX-ONE.......

repeat ad lib

izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 01:31 pm
@McTag,
You're going to have fun when you get back home.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:13 pm
@Letty,
Good Evening Letty - oh yes, Frampton, Australia, Kakadu, 1988 Very Happy GOOD MEMORIES. Love that song!

RH and BEAgle - hope you both had a good sleep!

hey jw - oooh, was furniture shuffling so didn't see any match - I don't quite understand American Footie... it's all a bit stop start and big shoulder pads Razz Do hope it was a good match.

Missy - hope you had yer nap today - have a great evening Very Happy

Taggers - ohhhhhh to be in Sorrento <sigh> Enjoy every minute!

IzYYYYY - hope you had a good day! Don't think the weather is gonna hit you like it's gonna hit here - batten down just in case tho.

((((JPB, Boida, Bethie, Margo))))

It's really kinda eerie outside, schhhhpoookie (said in my best Sean Connery accent) - my chimes are making a merry tune, the wind is gusting and it's warm - I'm a little concerned about TC's tree - it's creaking Shocked We're in for a nasty night and day tomorrow with big rain forecast - bah

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/sw_forecast_warnings.html

Keeping my fingers crossed the conservatory will hold up - buckets to the ready!!!!! The rain has just started.

(((((Blue))))) xox and yours x

Thinking of those near and far - be safe, be well.

<kitties over here: http://able2know.org/topic/70907-174#post-4771838 >

Dutchy

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:36 pm
@Izzie,
Good evening Izzie, the Bosun just hit the kitchen for a cup of EG and a sandwich. Love your cats! Weather not looking promising, friends will start their bus tour of Britain on Monday morning, hope the bad weather won't affect them to much. Rest well.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:34 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:
hey jw - oooh, was furniture shuffling so didn't see any match - I don't quite understand American Footie... it's all a bit stop start and big shoulder pads Do hope it was a good match.

It was good because Chicago won! Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 08:01 pm
All Blacks dun good! Pretty tense, though!
verbivore

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 12:01 am
@margo,
goood monday morning,......missy izzie and all ye yummy mummas out there - h-boys next bday is nearing and im going haywire ths week - as to what would be special for a 2 year old! on his D-day!!!...tea-part maybe....bt again...wondering!!! how id make him feelll ssuper excited and thrilled and happy! shud find a space where he could jump and play and enjooyy!! lemme search! water is what i want for ma kid this time!
Dutchy

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 12:21 am
@verbivore,
Howdy verbivore, H already 2 years old, I can't believe it. What's this about water for a birthday present, you mean you're buying him a swimming pool? Lucky little fellow, bet Mum will be more in it than him. Smile
verbivore

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 12:23 am
@Dutchy,
lol! not buying a pool exactly - but sme kindof water games wherein he can enjooyy as much as possible Smile
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.13 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 09:35:17