Gay Identity Politics - "Why do they hate Donnie McClurkin?"

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 06:16 pm
Although I don't think anything can sidetrack the juggernaut that is the Obama thread for very long, but I didn't want to take the chance. Nevertheless I had additional thoughts I wanted to add to my comments and so created this thread. Participation is, of course, welcome.

[quote="real life"]Why do homosexuals hate Donnie McClurkin for telling his own life's story?

He was a homosexual . Now he's not.

Both were his choice.

I thought you would support choice, but apparently not.[/quote]

Because he is an apostate of the homosexual orthodoxy.

If homosexuality is a choice then it is a behavior which can be judged as can all choices.

If on the other hand, it is built into the genes of a person, if homosexuals are born, not self-made there is no reasonable basis for judgment of their behavior since it is hard-wired. Most people do not think about concepts of morality when they see a person born without any legs, nor when they see someone who is born a natural athlete.

They do not support choice in this instance because they do not believe choice exists. More importantly, they do not support choice in this instance because to do so opens the door to the judgments that they believe have unfairly excluded them from all the benefits of society.

I'm in no way any expert on genetics and/or homosexuality, and to my knowledge there is no scientific evidence that decides the issue one way or the other, but I am inclined to agree that homosexuality, in most cases, is not a choice. I am also inclined to believe that the socialization process during the early development period of a youth exerts an influence on whether or not a person born with the genetic propensity for homosexuality develops along that path. In any case, for the majority of homosexuals their sexual orientation is not, I believe a conscious choice, and is heavily dependent upon their genetic make-up.

There is more to discuss on this subject but I don't want to sidetrack this thread. Look for the new thread I am going to create if you are interested in further discussion.

I think too that homosexual activists and their straight allies are not happy with McClurkin because not only is insisting that homosexuality is a choice, he has stated that it is "a curse."

Whether their sexual orientation is a choice or part of their genetic blueprint, it is certainly understandable why homosexuals are not fond of Pastor McClurkin.

I never read McClurkin's book and don't know much more about him than one can learn through limited internet research, but any armchair psychologist can conclude that his homosexuality and his religious beliefs were at war, and rather than continue life as an "abomination" he let the Lord change him. Not really a convincing conversion.

Like the political activists of any minority, gay activists tend to have a hair trigger and extreme reaction to anyone and anything that might be perceived, in any way, as intolerance or bigotry. It's an obnoxious but superficially successful tactic. By jumping down the throats of any potential opponent, they are able to create an environment of heightened sensitivity. Most people do not want to be considered a bigot, and they certainly don't want to be called a bigot in a public setting and so they watch what they say and how they act. It's effective, and considering the "enemy" is intolerance and bigotry, what's the problem?

Well, it's obnoxious for one thing, and while it may lead to less public expressions of intolerance, it may also lead to resentment and more expressions of intolerance in private settings. I, at least, have the sense that the people who employ the tactic don't do so with reluctance, or an appreciation that while it may it produce superficial results, it can be rude and demeaning. Instead they approach their work with the righteousness of a zealot.

This would be fine if all of their targets were vile bigots and loutish brutes, but the very scope of the tactic assures that this is not the case, and there is no reason to believe that homosexual activists are perfect judges of character.

It is a bully's tactic used by the very people who have suffered so much at the hands of bullies. Poetic justice perhaps, but I think we would like to believe that people who have been the victims of certain anti-social behavior would not use it themselves. An unrealistic Pollyanna notion?

I don't pin this tactic only on homosexual activists as identity politics can and are used by any minority. As it happens, the left covers more minorities with its umbrella than the right, but a group that is more comfortably aligned with the right, is certainly capable of using the same tactic. After all, it it effective.

I don't believe homosexuals to be unnatural or abominations and there is nothing, in my opinion, that is inherently immoral about homosexuality. I don't think they should be discriminated against on the basis of their sexual orientation, and that with the appropriate level of screening given to any would-be parents they should be allowed to adopt children that would otherwise be se adrift in the generally unnurturing world of foster care.

Now with that as a prologue let me say that I also do not believe homosexuals are any more above judgment than anyone else. If I believe that promiscuous sex in public places is debauched behavior for heterosexuals, then it certainly is for homosexuals as well, irrespective of any notion of a legitimate sub-culture. Similarly, parading down city streets in g-strings while holding up lewd signs is licentious and irrespective of whether or not it should be allowed, it should not be engaged in by anyone who wishes to make a case for being a normal member of society.

Now, of course all homosexuals do not engage in this sort of behavior, but those who don't should be prepared to criticize it rather defending it or looking the other way because os misplaced sense of loyalty to some notion of a Gay Nation. If one wishes to be judged by their personal principles and actions, rather than their skin color, gender, or sexual orientation those principles and actions need to be applied consistently across all groups within society.

Beyond this concern, which is bound to be dismissed by some as nothing more than prudery on my part, I have a larger concern with what I perceive to be a trend towards inculcating our popular culture with the notion that homosexual relations are not just natural in the context of the means of sexuals expression between people born with a same sex sexual orientation, they are hip and cool, and should be part of a heterosexual's natural "sexual experimentation." I don't mean to suggest that is the secret agenda of all homosexuals, or that it is necessarily a specific bullet point in the agenda of gay activists, but to some extent it is a product of the concerted effort to shape popular opinion about homosexuality.

It is, more so though, the product of cultural libertarianism; a natural consequence of an idealogy that holds that progression is, if not the natural then the ideal state of all things. It is a product of the ever expanding solipsistic philosophy that seems to have taken over our society.

Identity politics, in general, are counter-productive to the goals of the groups that employ them and disruptive to the society by which these groups ostensibly, at least, wish to be embraced.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 902 • Replies: 15
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 06:36 pm
http://drunkfriends.com/quickies/freesex.html
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:40 pm
I was going to write a well thought out answer to this... but then I thought we bother.

McClurkin is a musician with a sad story who claims Jesus "cured" him of his homosexuality and now says homosexuality is a curse. This upsets a lot of people (and makes him a hero with others.

A democratic candidate who appreciated his music had to apologize for the views that understandably upset some of his base.

Why does any of this matter?

If someone comes up with an answer to this, I may write a more thoughtful answer.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:02 pm
This whole subject is not just "plain vanilla." There are homosexuals that no one guesses are homosexuals (women, I believe, often know on sight that a male is a homosexual, with or without effeminate behavior. It's in the eyes, I'm told, and the interest, or lack, that is seen by a woman), and those that are flagrantly effeminate.

The concern, beyond cultural mores, is that there is a part of the homosexual community that lives in a very deep closet, with very good camouflage in personal image, and prefers associating with heterosexual males. And, has a great need therefore to keep the homosexuality a secret.

Now, this lends itself to blackmailing a homosexual of this bent, by agents from opposing nations/organizations, etc.. So, how does a government, or organization or military protect secrets if there are homosexuals of this type in sensitive positions?

My point is, as long as there is a segment of society that believes that homosexuality is not the "norm," then there will be homosexuals that will choose to remain in the closet, since that coincides with a preferred lifestyle.

It seems like there's no win-win solution, meaning how can homosexuality become normalized in the eyes of society, if there will likely always be a segment of society that does not think homosexuality is normal? And, therefore a segment of homosexuals will not come out of any closet.

The solution may be that society requires a degree of homophobia, but only for the homosexual in the closet. This may one day be remedied by technology that can tell if someone is, or is not a homosexual (MRI brain scans, pupil dilation measurements?). Then certain sensitive positions may not be available for "closeted" homosexuals.

But, if there are those that want to believe that Jesus can "cure" homosexuality, is that different than believing that an Evangelical will one day get Raptured Up?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:24 pm
Foofie,

I read your post several times... and I still don't have a clue what your point is.

In modern life, homosexuality is more accepted than ever. There are popular TV shows starring homosexuals and openly gay couples now participate in all aspects of life. The chance that someone will be blackmailed for being homosexual is increasingly low now that it is not that difficult to come out and be accepted for who you are.

The only two groups of people who still need to stay in the closet are televangelists and Republican Congressmen.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:37 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Foofie,

I read your post several times... and I still don't have a clue what your point is.

In modern life, homosexuality is more accepted than ever. There are popular TV shows starring homosexuals and openly gay couples now participate in all aspects of life. The chance that someone will be blackmailed for being homosexual is increasingly low now that it is not that difficult to come out and be accepted for who you are.

The only two groups of people who still need to stay in the closet are televangelists and Republican Congressmen.

Let me be more precise. There is a segment of the homosexual community that lives a double life. To the world they are very masculine, and supposedly heterosexual. Secretly they are homosexuals. They like living in a world with heterosexuals, and be taken for one. They can be blackmailed if they are in a sensitive position. They will not come out, as long as there are any heterosexuals that are homophobic, and that might be forever.

I am not alluding to the "gay" males that are obviously gay. They are no threat, since they cannot be blackmailed. For what? Everyone knows they are gay. They, in my opinion, should have all the civil rights anyone else has. And yes, they are more accepted today than ever. That's good.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:39 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I was going to write a well thought out answer to this... but then I thought we bother.

McClurkin is a musician with a sad story who claims Jesus "cured" him of his homosexuality and now says homosexuality is a curse. This upsets a lot of people (and makes him a hero with others.

A democratic candidate who appreciated his music had to apologize for the views that understandably upset some of his base.

Why does any of this matter?

If someone comes up with an answer to this, I may write a more thoughtful answer.

McClurkin himself is irrelevant. The issue that I have put forth is the use of identity politics by homosexuals. If you feel it is not something in which you wish to engage fine, but I doubt anyone is going to try and entice you to join in. I know I'm not.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:45 pm
Your term "identity politics" is a strawman.

If someone told CJHSA that gun ownership was a curse, he would find this offensive. He probably wouldn't vote for a candidate who associated with this person.

Why is this worthy of discussion?

America is based on "life, liberty and the persuit of happiness". It only makes sense that Americans will take offense when people attack their rights to live their own life as they see fit.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:51 pm
http://www.grassrootsforamerica.us/pix/npc-gop-edge-map.jpg
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:55 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

If someone told CJHSA that gun ownership was a curse, he would find this offensive. He probably wouldn't vote for a candidate who associated with this person.

America is based on "life, liberty and the persuit of happiness". It only makes sense that Americans will take offense when people attack their rights to live their own life as they see fit.

This is eluding the fact that many of the gays that are "out of the closet" want to normalize gayness in society. Gayness is gayness. It's not equal to heterosexuality; otherwise two gay males could birth a child. And even lesbians have to go elsewhere to get the sperm if one of a lesbian couple wants to give birth. The two orientations are quite different.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:37 pm
You are welcome to you opinion Foofie... and to live your life the way you want.

You just have to accept that homosexuals and even "liberals" are likewise welcome to their opinin and to live their lives the way they want.

There is equality in the US... whether you like it or not.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:10 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

I don't think you know the proper usage of the term "strawman."

I also don't think you have read what I have written, because if you had you would have come across the following:

"Whether their sexual orientation is a choice or part of their genetic blueprint, it is certainly understandable why homosexuals are not fond of Pastor McClurkin."

I have to assume that you realize that your favored candidate, Obama, is "associated" with McClurkin, and that you understand, if not agree
with, any decision homosexuals have made to refuse to vote for him.

Again, if you do not feel the topic is worthy of discussion, don't engage.

Even with the limited responses this thread has received my point about identity politics and the extreme reaction of minorities and those who consider themselves allies/champions/confreres has been underscored
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 07:13 am
I am using the term "strawman" perfectly.

The issue with McClurkin is that he says homosexuality is a "curse". You are saying the problem is that he is now heterosexual. Your claim is a strawman because you are making an argument against a misstatement of the issue.

The issue of whether homosexuality is a choice, a genetic predisposition or wired into the brain is really irrelevant to the most important fact. People who are homosexual have equal rights.

I will repeat my analogy... I have no idea whether Cjhsa's obsession with guns is how he is wired, or whether it is a lifestyle choice.

I fail to see how this makes a difference.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:31 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

I don't think you know the proper usage of the term "strawman."

I also don't think you have read what I have written, because if you had you would have come across the following:

"Whether their sexual orientation is a choice or part of their genetic blueprint, it is certainly understandable why homosexuals are not fond of Pastor McClurkin."

I have to assume that you realize that your favored candidate, Obama, is "associated" with McClurkin, and that you understand, if not agree
with, any decision homosexuals have made to refuse to vote for him.

Again, if you do not feel the topic is worthy of discussion, don't engage.

Even with the limited responses this thread has received my point about identity politics and the extreme reaction of minorities and those who consider themselves allies/champions/confreres has been underscored

I don't understand this "identity politics" you refer to. Didn't some non-Catholics not vote for Al Smith because they didn't "identify" with Catholicism?

Don't most people vote for whom they do identify with? Personally, I believe the term identity politics is like just common sense, if one is asked why do people vote for one candidate or another. Like the logical response is, "Duh!"
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 01:20 pm
Thanks for that Foofie... but I think you are missing the point just a bit.

Almost all Catholics are perfectly willing to vote for a non-Catholic.

A candidate who said that Catholicism was a "curse" that needed to be "cured" probably won't get so many Catholic votes.

There is a difference.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 05:30 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Thanks for that Foofie... but I think you are missing the point just a bit.

Almost all Catholics are perfectly willing to vote for a non-Catholic.

A candidate who said that Catholicism was a "curse" that needed to be "cured" probably won't get so many Catholic votes.

There is a difference.

I wasn't talking about candidates and a candidate's feelings about Catholicism. I was just talking about the non-Catholic voters that wouldn't back then (1920's) vote for a Catholic candidate, because at that point in time they specifically couldn't identify with a Catholic candidate. Are we beating a dead horse?
0 Replies