Clinton Closes Money Gap With Obama

Miller

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 12:55 pm
Clinton Closes Money Gap With Obama

Posted By Editor On February 8, 2008 @ 1:35 pm

Susan Davis reports on the presidential race.

While Sen. Hillary Clinton's camp was dogged earlier this week of reports over a $5 million loan to herself and a handful of staff temporarily going without pay, her communications director told reporters today that they have rebounded and are raising sums that rival Sen. Barack Obama. Howard Wolfson said Clinton has raised $8 million since the polls closed on Super Tuesday and is approaching raising $10 million since Feb. 1. Further, they have expanded their donor base by 75,000.
Clinton

"This is a very important development going forward," Wolfson said, adding that the campaign has overcome advantages Obama had with the endorsement of MoveOn.org and mobilizing its membership, as well as a donor database from Sen. John Kerry's 2004 presidential that Obama's campaign earned along with the Massachusetts senator's endorsement. "We anticipate this will be ongoing and it will continue," Wolfson said of the recent run in fund-raising success.

Obama still appears to have the money edge. Clinton only raised $13.5 million to Obama's $32 million in January, and his campaign said Thursday they had raised $7.2 million in the 48 hours after Feb. 5, poising his campaign to near or match their record-setting January haul.

Clinton's campaign is up with new ads in Maine, Washington, and Nebraska, which are holding nominating contests this weekend. Wolfson said the campaign will also go up with ads in Ohio and Texas next week as a run-up to the March 4 contests there.
WSJ
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 551 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 05:06 pm
Don't forget to reduce her fundraising total by the $5 million they will need to pay back to Hillary for the loan given to her campaign.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 03:59 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Don't forget to reduce her fundraising total by the $5 million they will need to pay back to Hillary for the loan given to her campaign.

So what! She wrote a check to herself...Why not!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 04:03 pm
I have no problem with her doing that. What I am saying is that her campaign will need to repay the $5 million loan out of the $7 million they have raised, so the net difference is $2 million.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 04:15 pm
she did that so you obama hysterics would start frothing at the mouth about how she was sunk and her supporters would rally and throw more money in the pot.... too easy.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 04:20 pm
Thanks for the explanation Bear. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 04:23 pm
thanks for patronizing me these last few weeks from the sacred heights of Obama Mountain :wink:
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 04:26 pm
Patronizing? I thought I did pretty good by not responding to your many derogatory posts.

Guess I'll go back to "patronizing" you.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 04:28 pm
Bear... your friendship with Miller is touching. A couple of months ago I wouldn't have thought it possible.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 05:29 pm
your simplistic view that since Miller and I both support Hillary we must be in bed together is entertaining... I wouldn't have though it possible for you to be so hilarious not long ago...
0 Replies