Rebate Money - Where Is It Coming From If We Are In Deficit?

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:23 am
I mean physically, where is the money coming from for all of the rebates being sent out?

I'm picturing that I have a checking account. I have a balance of negative $X trillion dollars. I write checks to a million people. How do I cover the checks I've written? Where do I go to put the money needed into my account before the checks hit?

(Ignoring that I wouldn't really be allowed to have a checking account in negative balance for very long by any real bank.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,641 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Jim

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 08:34 am
It's coming from the same place the government is financing the rest of the deficit. They are going to borrow it. And since Americans have a zero percent savings rate, it will be borrowed from places where there is a positive savings rate - places live China.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:51 am
So we'll get some dollars from China to send to taxpayers and also pay China interest?

We then have to pay back China with dollars plus interest.

I'm assuming this rebate will work much the same as the last one where it will have to be claimed as income for 2007, so we will still (some of us) be taxed on it. That would, I assume, help offset the interest. But, do we know how much?

And, can anyone explain how balancing trade would assist if at all in paying them back? When I think of trade imbalances I think of companies and individuals buying goods from China. Are there government purchases that directly affect the imbalance that would lower what we have to pay back for the tax rebate loan from China? The only thing I can think of would be something like grain or some such commodity purchased from US farmers by our government and sold to China. Are there others?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:14 am
Everyone should do what I'm going to do with my check.....invest it in India.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:06 am
Deficit spending is financed through bonds. When you buy a bond, you're actually loaning the government money and the government is promising to pay it back at a certain interest rate.

The Social Security trust fund is actually "special issue" bonds that the government has sold to itself.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/fundFAQ.html#n4

Quote:
What happens to the taxes that go into the trust funds?

Tax income is deposited on a daily basis and is invested in "special-issue" securities. The cash exchanged for the securities goes into the general fund of the Treasury and is indistinguishable from other cash in the general fund.

What were the amounts of securities bought and sold during recent years?

The amount bought in 2007 was $1,069 billion, while the amount sold was $879 billion. See investment transactions for more detail and earlier years.

So the treasury currently has the cash.

Quote:
Why do some people describe the "special issue" securities held by the trust funds as worthless IOUs?
As stated in the answer to "What happens to the taxes that go into the trust funds?", most of the money flowing into the trust funds is invested in U. S. Government securities. Because the government spends this borrowed cash, some people see the current increase in the trust fund assets as an accumulation of securities that the government will be unable to make good on in the future. Without legislation to restore long-range solvency of the trust funds, redemption of long-term securities prior to maturity would be necessary.

What is SSA's reaction to this criticism?

Far from being "worthless IOUs," the investments held by the trust funds are backed by the full faith and credit of the U. S. Government. The government has always repaid Social Security, with interest. The special-issue securities are, therefore, just as safe as U.S. Savings Bonds or other financial instruments of the Federal government.

Many options are being considered to restore long-range trust fund solvency. These options are being considered now, over 30 years in advance of the year the funds are likely to be exhausted. It is thus likely that legislation will be enacted to restore long-term solvency, making it unlikely that the trust funds' securities will need to be redeemed on a large scale prior to maturity.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 11:07 am
This, I might add, is why accountants can make the big bucks....
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 01:02 pm
Interesting article:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/Advice/TheDetailsOnTaxRebates.aspx

Quote:
Remember, this is your money you're getting back, and the rebate checks are basically an advance on your 2009 refund. When similar rebates were sent out in 2001, said tax expert Mark Luscombe, "a lot of people were upset to see their (next) refund reduced."

The only people for whom this really is free money are low-income folks (those who earn at least the minimum $3,000 required to trigger the checks or who receive at least $3,000 in Social Security or veterans benefits) who won't end up owing any taxes for 2008. If that's your situation, or you somehow wind up with a check when you technically shouldn't have -- you earned income in 2007 but won't in 2008, for example -- you won't have to pay back the money, said Luscombe, a principal analyst for tax research firm CCH.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:02 am
so we get a check for 1200.00. Next year we'll be taxed on it? Next year it's declared income? Since I'm self employed do I have to pay 15.3 %SEP on this money?

What if i don't want the damn money?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:28 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
so we get a check for 1200.00. Next year we'll be taxed on it? Next year it's declared income? Since I'm self employed do I have to pay 15.3 %SEP on this money?

What if i don't want the damn money?

I'm of a similar mind. I wonder if it would work if we donated the money to a charity or non-profit and took it as a deduction. I could donate my money to The Sierra Club and BPB could send his off to Old Rockers in Rocking Chairs. How would this work out? It would still be taxed as income, I assume, but maybe we could get something back for making it a charitable contribution.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:32 am
easy on that old rockers in rocking chair stuff lady... :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:35 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
easy on that old rockers in rocking chair stuff lady... :wink:

I wasn't thinking of you - more likely Keith Richards.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:42 am
Re: Rebate Money - Where Is It Coming From If We Are In Defi
squinney wrote:
I mean physically, where is the money coming from for all of the rebates being sent out?

I'm picturing that I have a checking account. I have a balance of negative $X trillion dollars. I write checks to a million people. How do I cover the checks I've written? Where do I go to put the money needed into my account before the checks hit?

(Ignoring that I wouldn't really be allowed to have a checking account in negative balance for very long by any real bank.)

I show everybody this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dmPchuXIXQ

Also if you listen to Ron Paul you will see no other politician comes close to him in economics. That has been hes key issue for a long time.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:39 pm
squinney wrote:
I'm assuming this rebate will work much the same as the last one where it will have to be claimed as income for 2007, so we will still (some of us) be taxed on it.

soozoo wrote:
Interesting article:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/Advice/TheDetailsOnTaxRebates.aspx

Quote:
Remember, this is your money you're getting back, and the rebate checks are basically an advance on your 2009 refund. When similar rebates were sent out in 2001, said tax expert Mark Luscombe, "a lot of people were upset to see their (next) refund reduced."

The only people for whom this really is free money are low-income folks (those who earn at least the minimum $3,000 required to trigger the checks or who receive at least $3,000 in Social Security or veterans benefits) who won't end up owing any taxes for 2008. If that's your situation, or you somehow wind up with a check when you technically shouldn't have -- you earned income in 2007 but won't in 2008, for example -- you won't have to pay back the money, said Luscombe, a principal analyst for tax research firm CCH.
squinney
The last rebate issued in 2001 was not taxed on the 2001 tax return. If you received the rebate you should not have entered anything on the return. If you didn't receive the full amount or any amount and you were entitled to, then the rebate amount was entered on line 47 of your 2001 return as a credit. Where did the money come from? The tax brackets were adjusted.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 01:21 pm
Self employment tax is only applied to earned income, Bear.
0 Replies