Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 548 • Replies: 12
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:26 am
Interesting!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 02:39 pm
Why would an Independant have that power in the first place?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 02:47 pm
woiyo wrote:
last I know Lieberman was a registered Democrat and was elected on the Democratic ticket to the Senate.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 02:57 pm
dyslexia wrote:
woiyo wrote:
last I know Lieberman was a registered Democrat and was elected on the Democratic ticket to the Senate.

He was re-elected as an independent in 2006.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 02:59 pm
Obama supports Lieberman.

http://boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/03/31/obama_rallies_state_democrats_throws_support_behind_lieberman/
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 03:11 pm
maporsche wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
woiyo wrote:

He was re-elected as an independent in 2006.
From Lieberman's own web page;
In 2006, Senator Lieberman was elected to a fourth term as an Independent, because of the strength of his record and his accomplishments for the state. He won the general election by more than 100,000 votes. He remains committed to caucusing with Senate Democrats, but will be identified as an Independent Democrat
Now on a personal level (mine) Joe is a definite Republican (not by any means a Democrat or Independent) but he calls himself an Independent Democrat
http://lieberman.senate.gov/about/
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 03:15 pm

from the first line of your link
Quote:
U.S. Sen. Barack Obama rallied Connecticut Democrats at their annual dinner Thursday night,
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:56 am
Obama has made his views on Iraq very well known. Lieberman has certainly made his views on Iraq very well known. The two are not compatible in any way. Apparently; Obama still has warm feelings for Lieberman because he was Obama's mentor and still thinks he has a lot of qualifications to offer as Senator. Personally I don't see them and agree with those other democrats at the dinner. It would have been ugly for Obama to be less than civil; but he should have at least said he disagrees with Lieberman on the Iraq war issue. From what I could tell in the article; he didn't do that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:17 am
The Lieberman/ Obama thing came up earlier... this post is itself a summary of earlier discussion:

sozobe wrote:
This is the main post, more two posts down:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1961603#1961603

The main things that stand out for me are

a) Lieberman was 55 points up at the time!! (Good reminder about how fast the worm can turn.) As in, the "endorsement" wasn't particularly meaningful in that context.

b) Lieberman was some sort of mentor to Obama, never quite figured out how that worked, if it was assigned or what.

c) The "endorsement" happened at an event for state Democrats. It wasn't just about Lieberman, at all.

Quote:
A few minutes later, however, the audience was riveted as Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, the guest speaker at the $175-a-plate dinner, stood on the podium and began the customary round of recognition of candidates and incumbents in the room. When he got to Mr. Lieberman, who is his mentor in the Senate and who helped recruit him to speak at the event, the applause again was muted.

So, to recap, this wasn't "Obama goes to a Lieberman event and endorses him"; it was "Obama goes to a state Democrat event in 2004 -- a stated goal of his was to help as many Democrats get into office as possible -- and then begins a customary round of recognition of candidates present, of which Lieberman was one."

It sounds, from context, like it would have been horribly rude for him to ignore Lieberman. Not-worth-it rude.

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2567072#2567072
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:07 am
sozobe wrote:
The Lieberman/ Obama thing came up earlier... this post is itself a summary of earlier discussion:

sozobe wrote:
This is the main post, more two posts down:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1961603#1961603

The main things that stand out for me are

a) Lieberman was 55 points up at the time!! (Good reminder about how fast the worm can turn.) As in, the "endorsement" wasn't particularly meaningful in that context.

b) Lieberman was some sort of mentor to Obama, never quite figured out how that worked, if it was assigned or what.

c) The "endorsement" happened at an event for state Democrats. It wasn't just about Lieberman, at all.

Quote:
A few minutes later, however, the audience was riveted as Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, the guest speaker at the $175-a-plate dinner, stood on the podium and began the customary round of recognition of candidates and incumbents in the room. When he got to Mr. Lieberman, who is his mentor in the Senate and who helped recruit him to speak at the event, the applause again was muted.

So, to recap, this wasn't "Obama goes to a Lieberman event and endorses him"; it was "Obama goes to a state Democrat event in 2004 -- a stated goal of his was to help as many Democrats get into office as possible -- and then begins a customary round of recognition of candidates present, of which Lieberman was one."

It sounds, from context, like it would have been horribly rude for him to ignore Lieberman. Not-worth-it rude.

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2567072#2567072

Listen; sozobe; I have decided to vote for Obama as the best suited candidate for most of my views. However; it really don't help to parse and spin everything concerning Obama. The main purpose might not have been (the way the article implied)to particulary endorse Lieberman. However; in the course of the dinner he did just that.

Quote:
Obama wasted little time getting to that point, calling it the "elephant in the room" but praising Lieberman's intellect, character and qualifications.

"The fact of the matter is, I know some in the party have differences with Joe. I'm going to go ahead and say it," Obama told the 1,700-plus party members who gathered in a ballroom at the Connecticut Convention Center for the $175-per-head fundraiser.

"I am absolutely certain Connecticut is going to have the good sense to send Joe Lieberman back to the U.S. Senate so he can continue to serve on our behalf," he said.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:29 am
I dunno. If I see inaccuracies or misrepresentations, and I can provide something more accurate without much effort, I tend to want to do so. It's how I've always been on this board (and in life!), it's nothing new.

I didn't intend to say that Obama didn't endorse Lieberman. If that's how it comes across, my apologies. He did -- but there are a lot of qualifications to that endorsement. Since I remembered that there were a lot of qualifications, and since a quick search with keywords "Lieberman" and "Obama" took me right to them, I provided some of them.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 05:15 pm
It was really stupid of the DNC to do that and to announce it. It will probably cause Lieberman to move the rest of the way into the Republican Party, thereby officially negating the current Democratic majority in the Senate, and Democrats would no longer control Senate committee chairs.
0 Replies