Card games and families

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:28 pm
Did/does your family play cards?

When I was growing up, any time there was a get-together of my father's side of the family there was a monstrous series of double-deck pinochle games. Dad's family had profound differences in the way the looked at the world that were only ever reconciled when bidding, passing, and playing a 20-card double-deck pinochle hand. All the kids could play from the age of 5 or 6, and the old people could still play a mean game even when they had to ask every trick what suit was trump.

There was generally a lot of beer and 7-and-7 involved, too, and there was always a game going on from 10 in the morning to 10 at night if the whole dysfunctional bunch was together.

Still, if it wasn't for the cards, the family would have disintegrated in a weekend, so I suppose they played a pretty profound role in the dynamics of the family. I actually remember the card-playing pretty fondly and I probably developed a lot of skills playing that game -- if you don't know pinochle, it can be a complicated game of risk assessment and unspoken communication between partners -- that have saved me from being even more dysfunctional than I already am.

Developed a taste for liquor at some point, too, but what are you gonna do.

So, anybody play cards with their families? What do you get from it? What does everybody else playing get from it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,081 • Replies: 37
No top replies

aidan

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:39 pm
My father's family (he had seven brothers) always played pinochle too- and dominos and acey-deucy (this kind of mongrelized version of backgammon). As a little girl - I always loved to sit and watch the cards get shuffled and notice how as the beer was consumed and the mood really lightened that the uncles all got funnier and funnier.

I never learned to play pinochle though. We all still play cards though - we play spades and hearts and this thing my sister taught us called seven-up which is good because any amount of people can play and there are a lot of kids in my extended family who love to play with the adults.

My kids have been able to fill in as capably as adults as partners in spades and hearts since they were eight or nine. We all sit around the table- music playing in the background- no beer at my dad's house though (he's baptist) and just talk and laugh and get really silly.
We all play games - any type- love strategizing and competing - except my big brother. All the hands of cards I've played in my life - I just realized I never played a single one with him. He just doesn't have time for that sort of stuff I guess.
I really like backgammon (but my dad will still only play acey-deucy-he finds the rules of backgammon too confining- it doesn't have quite the excitement of rolling a one and a two which in acey deucy is kind of like rolling yahtzee).

My sisters and I once played sixty games of yahtzee in a row one snow day.

I think it helps us remember where we came from and why we like to be together. It also keeps the mind sharp - in my opinion.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:46 pm
Go Fish
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:51 pm
Yes we play cards! Mostly with my Dad's side of the family and within my own.

We almost always have a game of cards (though sometimes it was pictionary instead) at cousin-level gatherings. Two summers ago all of us adult cousins got together on the cape and we all played round after round of Liverpool (a rummy game) and Gin Rummy (I don't anyone could tell you the difference). It provided a social net for us to communicate on - they are all religious and conservative and we are all opposite of that. But, we have the family history, love and the cards. (there's the drink in that side of the family too).

As kids in the nuclear family, we spent vacations and some weekends playing hearts, uno, crazy eights, spit, and many more I can't recall the names of (including solitaires, multi-player solitaires - I know that doesn't make sense)...... Now we play liverpoole/gin rummy and rumikub (a tile version of gin rummy). It's a way in which we can be competitive safely. though sometimes we piss each other off. We also have been able to pull in a new brother-in-law and his twin brother by playing these games with them. For my immediate family (which for me includes my parents, siblings and siblings children), it is a bonding activity. We're rooted in card games.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:52 pm
We didn't have a set time when we would play, but I remember some games of UNO played around the table on some sunday family gatherings, with usually about ten-twelve people or so--grandparents, parents and the kids who were old enough to not be a complete nuisance. Three generations of italians laughing and yelling and fighting over such a silly game! I remember it very fondly. I remember how my grandfather and grandmother used to relish each chance to drop the DRAW 4 card on each other. And everytime one of them did it, a fight would ensue. Not a serious fight, but still, how the f-bombs would fly!

Very good times.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:54 pm
aidan wrote:
My sisters and I once played sixty games of yahtzee in a row one snow day.

It's funny you counted games. When my wife and I were bumming around Europe years ago, we played rummy when time was slack -- we were stuck in a tent in the usual evening rainstorm in the Alps or in Denmark, or camped out in the open on a beach in Galicia or baking in the sun at a campground on the Italian Riviera. We kept score in the margins of a Kerouac book (Desolation Angels, by the way, a good one -- dark and depressing and almost honest). On the long flight back A counted the games scored in the book. 500 on the nose.

It was a long couple of months, with not a lot of money and a lot of long cheap-wine afternoons to kill...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:03 pm
k wrote:
We almost always have a game of cards (though sometimes it was pictionary instead) at cousin-level gatherings. Two summers ago all of us adult cousins got together on the cape and we all played round after round of Liverpool (a rummy game) and Gin Rummy (I don't anyone could tell you the difference). It provided a social net for us to communicate on - they are all religious and conservative and we are all opposite of that. But, we have the family history, love and the cards. (there's the drink in that side of the family too).

As kids in the nuclear family, we spent vacations and some weekends playing hearts, uno, crazy eights, spit, and many more I can't recall the names of (including solitaires, multi-player solitaires - I know that doesn't make sense)...... Now we play liverpoole/gin rummy and rumikub (a tile version of gin rummy). It's a way in which we can be competitive safely. though sometimes we piss each other off. We also have been able to pull in a new brother-in-law and his twin brother by playing these games with them. For my immediate family (which for me includes my parents, siblings and siblings children), it is a bonding activity. We're rooted in card games.

Sounds just like my family. The cards are also an opportunity to take things out on people and it's entertainment. But, then, my family's a pretty competitive (in spirit, not in results) bunch.

The other side is more inclined toward loud, drunken pictionary sorts of games. A bunch of sisters, all of them loud. But it's still like carnival -- a safe outlet for otherwise unacceptable impulses (anger, greed, envy, wrath, especially, certainly gluttony, occasionally sloth, and hopefully not an overabundance of lust).

There was also something about card games (and alcohol) that let people say things to and around kids in the course of playing that they wouldn't say watching TV or eating dinner. I probably learned a lot about life from late-night table talk, when all of the social smokers are bumming smokes off the hardened blacklung types...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:03 pm
roger wrote:
Go Fish

Do you have any 7s?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:07 pm
Every family gathering was a reason to play cards. Pinochle for every four players and cribbage for the left-overs. Sometimes pitch, sometimes poker, but always pinochle. Every child could play 3-handed airplane, 4-handed partners, and double-deck by the time they were 7. It was a self-preservation move to avoid being bored out of our minds while everyone else played cards.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:08 pm
Not bug with the extended family but my wife and I go through phases of scrabble and backgammon. I refuse to play these days cause she's unbeatable.

I once got so frustrated I slammed the bagammon board closed half way through the game.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:08 pm
kickycan wrote:
We didn't have a set time when we would play, but I remember some games of UNO played around the table on some sunday family gatherings, with usually about ten-twelve people or so--grandparents, parents and the kids who were old enough to not be a complete nuisance. Three generations of italians laughing and yelling and fighting over such a silly game! I remember it very fondly. I remember how my grandfather and grandmother used to relish each chance to drop the DRAW 4 card on each other. And everytime one of them did it, a fight would ensue. Not a serious fight, but still, how the f-bombs would fly!

Very good times.

Sounds good. Makes me realize, it was the only time I really saw my grandmother have fun, was taking the trick that kept the other team from making their bid. She was a vindicative old b-----road, but damn it she got to enjoy it when she was playing cards. (Kind of a scary vicious little midwestern fundamentalist, she was, and she didn't enjoy winning so much as she enjoyed making other people lose..... But that's all right in cards...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:10 pm
I learned the words for and meaning behind most swearwords during card games.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:13 pm
dadpad wrote:
Not bug with the extended family but my wife and I go through phases of scrabble and backgammon. I refuse to play these days cause she's unbeatable.

I once got so frustrated I slammed the bagammon board closed half way through the game.

Yer a lousy loser, dadpad. And that's the only thing that makes winning worth the effort
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:15 pm
JPB wrote:
Every family gathering was a reason to play cards. Pinochle for every four players and cribbage for the left-overs. Sometimes pitch, sometimes poker, but always pinochle. Every child could play 3-handed airplane, 4-handed partners, and double-deck by the time they were 7. It was a self-preservation move to avoid being bored out of our minds while everyone else played cards.

Cribbage, yeah. We played a bit of cribbage, and hearts. Definitely something all us kids chose to learn, when it was winter and we were stuck inside with all the grown ups.

Sounds like pinochle was central for your family, too. Where were your grandparents from? It's always seemed like a very midwestern game to me...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:18 pm
dadpad wrote:

The wife and I are pretty even at most things. I destroy her at scrabble, so we don't play. She wipes my out at checkers, so we don't play. Not that the losing's so bad, but just that it's no fun when it's not competitive. Same with other games -- I can't touch her at tennis, she can't touch me at pool, but put a ping-pong table up and we're there.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:19 pm
littlek wrote:

My mom taught me these in the course of daily life.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:24 pm
patiodog wrote:
JPB wrote:

Cribbage, yeah. We played a bit of cribbage, and hearts. Definitely something all us kids chose to learn, when it was winter and we were stuck inside with all the grown ups.

Sounds like pinochle was central for your family, too. Where were your grandparents from? It's always seemed like a very midwestern game to me...

northern New England since forever.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:25 pm
When I was a child, my parents took my brothers and I to a rustic cabin each summer for about two weeks. It had no electric and we would play board games and cards by the light of oil lamps. I learned how to play poker when I was about 6 and soon became good enough to beat my older brothers, much to their annoyance. Most of the card games, like Bridge and Whist, I have since forgotten.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:26 pm
patiodog wrote:
littlek wrote:

My mom taught me these in the course of daily life.

Yeah, that too. They the swears had so much more depth, nuance and innuendo during card games.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:10 pm
Anybody ever play Euchre? That's what my family played and just about every family in this part of the country.
0 Replies