Noah's Ark: Figurative or Literal?

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 04:05 pm
This thread is now a source of mild amusement and a good chuckle.
Laughing
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 04:55 pm
If you believe that only two of each TYPE of animal was on the ark (that is to say two camels instead of two of each species of camel) then you have to believe in speciation, which is the foundation for evolution.

If you believe that two of each species were on the ark, then you have to accept that there were tens of millions of animals on a 450 foot boat.

This is a factual contradiction that I've debated with many a baptist.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:32 pm
actually, the number of animal species that lived, including fish was estimated to be more like 5 to 50 Billion species (Cuppy 1983 or Wilson 1988). Zoogeography has about 50 million species extant. So, if Noah was doing his work as Genesis implies, hed have to go for the larger number to preserve biodiversity Very Happy
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 06:14 pm
Or (just spitballing here) given the insane number of improbabilities associated with the Noah's ark story, its not fact. My faith doesn't require I believe stories that have a few thousand more probable explainations. God did give us brains afterall.

Just a thought.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 06:56 pm
Very Happy You seem to be in a minority on these threads curtis.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 07:11 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
If indeed it was a local flood and not global, wouldn't it have been much simpler, if G*&&d had told Noah to pack his worldly goods and move x number of miles to safety. With that many years advance notice, he could have gathered plenty of animals into corrals and cages, and not have to do all that work.

I think 'God' did not know about the rest of the world back then yet...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 07:54 pm
I am so glad it has come to this...

Book flippin mark.

RH
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:09 pm
farmerman wrote:
rl quick footing , said
Quote:
Your phrase 'the present mountains' ignores the fact that they weren't always mountains, which was what my statement addressed.

Coral and sedimentary rock on mountains gives us pretty good evidence that the real estate in question wasn't always a mountain. Dig?

Yeh, I dig that youve gotten yourself into a factual dilemma........

When do you feel that all this tectonism had occured while still allowing all the rest of history to have passed unaware ? I think somebody would have noticed all these mountains being raised and India slamming into Asia (all the while the Indians were going about their daily chores seemingly unaware that their borders were gaining elevation at the rate of about 10 feet per year)
........ The devils in the details.

Indeed.

The 'detail' is that the human population (post flood) was extremely small and thus didn't include 'Indians going about their daily chores'.

If the land movement was post-flood, it could've taken place in a totally uninhabited (by humans) area.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:33 pm
What makes you think he did not create the mountains on Day 3, along with the dry land? Or was he already planning the Flood, pre-people?
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:33 pm
real life wrote:

Indeed.

The 'detail' is that the human population (post flood) was extremely small and thus didn't include 'Indians going about their daily chores'.

If the land movement was post-flood, it could've taken place in a totally uninhabited (by humans) area.

When did this flood take place?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:00 pm
Genisis 7:20
Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.

15 forearm lengths really isn't all that much water. Say cubit = 18 inches?

15 x 18 /12 = a whole 22 feet did the waters prevail. and yea

Noah was 600 years old at the time.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:12 pm
well, if the mountains were covered, then they must have existed prior to flood. there ya go, real life.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:40 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
If indeed it was a local flood and not global, wouldn't it have been much simpler, if G*&&d had told Noah to pack his worldly goods and move x number of miles to safety. With that many years advance notice, he could have gathered plenty of animals into corrals and cages, and not have to do all that work.

God knew. The people didn't. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:13 pm
Intrepid wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Well, if G*^d could tell Noah to build a ark, he could tell him to head for safe ground.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:17 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
well, if the mountains were covered, then they must have existed prior to flood. there ya go, real life.

mountains that were 22 feet high.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:23 pm
pauligirl
Quote:
When did this flood take place?

According to RL, mountains were emplaced as post flood tectonics. I know, hes got imself in a bit of a logical bind ere. Post flood means that anything contemporaneous with mountain building was post flood, like ancient civilizations of Nineveh, SUmeria, Inca (they seem to have built their habitats in areas that were stable when they were built, but are underlain by tectonic evidence of the mountains rising (stuff like compression faults and very tight folds).
Rl wanted an argument to state that "oceanic sediment" was raised post flood because he envisiomed a world that was low in relief so that the present amount of ocean and ice cap water could account for a flood if there wasnt so much damn relief around. Very Happy
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:26 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Well, if G*^d could tell Noah to build a ark, he could tell him to head for safe ground.

Then the reason for the Ark would have been lost. It would have had no effect.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:37 pm
What effect? Shock and awe? As GWB found out, s & a isn't all it's cracked up to be.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:50 pm
fresco wrote:
Vikorr,

The historical links are irrelevant. What matters is the tolerance of "arbitrary evidence" or "selective dismissal of evidence". Once this principle is socially accepted and substituted with the blatantly hypocritical labels of "mutual respect" or "tolerance of others beliefs" we sow the seeds of a pathogen, just like "social drug taking" has its inevitable consequences. Harris argues that because advanced weaponry now lies within the grasp of extremists, religion can no longer be dismissed as a fairly innocuous recreational drug.

So what you are arguing is that Christians tolerating their own beliefs (sound odd?) and atheists tolerating Christian beliefs - sows the seeds that allows Jihadi's to exist?

This hypothesis, while valid enough if flexed into a theoretical setting, would ignore the divergence of countries that each religion lives in, the circle of influence this idea can achieve, and even if it did achieve a large circle of influence, there would still be, within it's borders, sub cultures outside of its influence. In other words, it is an unworkable model. Theoretically sound, but unworkable.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:57 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
What effect? Shock and awe? As GWB found out, s & a isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I am shocked that you would put GWB in the same category as God.
0 Replies