How much do cabinets and countertops cost?

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:51 pm
Yes please, take pictures and then we'll see firsthand what's needed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:52 pm
F/closets, armoires are the thing. At least in some of my life. No closets in a 1913 california bungalow. Or, racks from the schmatta industry. Or, steel shelves from Home Despotism.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:53 pm
Kicky, bambino, you are a designer...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:57 pm
Lots of racks and steel shelves at craigslist. If you want them 'matching', you can modify the search by the manufacturer, or Ikea, or Home Depot, or ...

Quite a good resource, that craigslist ... and there is a barter section in the for sale area - design services for installation ... I think you'd have a good trader there.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 08:57 pm
Think outside of the box Kicky. I'm not a fan of wall cabinets, they look too much like science classrooms or doctor's offices. Modern kitchen design (post 1930) was inspired by the look of laboratories. Look at all styles of storage furniture. I'm with Osso on the armoires. How about a Hoover cabinet or free standing furniture with glass doors and shelving. My favorite kitchen piece is a vanity table with a marble top, great for rolling out pastry and plenty of storage drawers.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:27 pm
I like the look of Ikea cabinets too. They seem pretty reasonable.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/rooms/kitchen/11839/
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:56 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I would imagine it is REALLY cheap. The way you have been describing this place has caused me pause. Are you sure someone is not trying to trick you into moving into their garage?

Did I mention the up-front $5,000 fee I'd have to pay the realtor? Trust me, it's REALLY cheap.

I'm still not sure whether I should go for it or not though. It's going to be a lot of work, but at the end of it, I think it will be worth it. The thing is, if you don't like the space you're living in, it's not a bargain no matter how cheap it is. I have to decide whether I can really live in this place. It's a tough choice, because it's hard to picture it being nice after seeing it in it's raw state.

It's not a real happy-looking place right now. I'd have to probably paint the whole damn place, and install some kind of better lighting as well as adding the cabinets and closets/storage spaces. Do I really want to do all that? I don't know if it's worth the aggravation.

But it's REALLY cheap. Hm.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 10:14 pm
We have an AMish cabinet outlet in INTERCOURSE Pa. However, no phones or websites (Theyre f*ckin AMISH ). I know you can get the cabinets 3'X5' (24"deep) and 3X6, for about 250 birch and 400 for hardwoods , (maple, pickled maple,oak ) and about 500 for figured oak, maple, birch, pickled and Williamsburg painted poplar).
I dont think youll like rock countertops. They dont give and they can fracture after a few years of temp changes (granite and diabase are the worst and serpentine/ soapstone are the most forgiving, although soft and with a wee bit of asbestos in the rock).
We like the resin surfaces like Corian. (We have an off white and my wife did a neat "scrimshaw look on the backsplashes) Ive seen where people carve a dark blue or black corian like woodblock and then splash color in the spaces between the "inked surfaces" This can be very cool if you can design and someone can do the carving.

Ill come up and get ya started if ya put me and Ernie up for a couple days.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 05:35 pm
No need. I decided against it. I'm not paying upwards of $8000 or so for a goddammed shithole that I'm only RENTING. I could see it being worth it if I could buy the place, or if I knew I was going to live there for years, but I like to move around too much. Paying all that money for a place to rent just doesn't seem like a sound investment to me.

Thanks for all your input though, everyone.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 05:44 pm
Hey Kicky, have you seen hotpads.com ? Good place to search for rentals and condos
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 06:05 pm
Thanks, Martybarker. I'll check out that site as soon as I'm done getting drunk tonight. Yay, Friday!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:55 pm
I'm jealous, have one for me!
0 Replies

gstevens

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 01:10 pm
I'm in the process of upgrading my kitchen so looked in to the various grades of counters - for laminate style - with a simple edging can run from $16 per linear foot up; engineered stone about twice that and granite at least 3+ times. For me it was either $2.5K (laminate) $3.5K (engineered stone) or $4.5K for granite. Ball park on Cabinets - can be purchased premade so on the lowest end you might be able to get them for $1.5K.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 04:43 pm
You could also buy a "portable" type of cabinet. It may be less since you wouldn't have to install it. I would bet that Ikea would have it or places like Home Goods, Linen and things pretty cheap - like $50 - $100 depending on size and wood quality.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 04:52 pm
You could do something nice like this...

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/3/P11058279.jpg

Or this...http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/3/L11058281.jpg

Or

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cottage-Collection-Preston-Hollow-Kitchen-Island/2887084/product.html

My favorite is this one...

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Mid-Size-Super-Island/2613371/product.html

The cheapest is just under $200 and the most expensive is about $500.

The bonus you can take with you when you move.

They are at Overstock.com which has lots of cool things pretty cheap.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 04:54 pm
Damn I was too late.
0 Replies