How much do cabinets and countertops cost?

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:04 pm
Let's say I just want some simple cabinets. Like to cover maybe five or six feet of space or so, and maybe two or three feet of fairly inexpensive countertops as well. It's a fairly small space.

What do you think the cost of that might be? I'm talking about buying the cabinets and countertops and installation. Can anyone give me a ballpark range on this? Just a good guess would be fine.

I just looked at a really cheap rent-stable apartment that has no cabinets or countertops, so I need to figure out how much that would cost me so I can decide if I want to go for it or not.

Thank you all for your help in this endeavor.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,147 • Replies: 35
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:07 pm
New stuff. Not cheap.

However - craigslist.org is great for stuff like that. Seems like everyone's trying to upgrade kitchens and has cupboards and stuff to sell - cheap.

If you're handy, you can install them yourself, like my UWS buddy. If not, you could probably barter some design work with an installer to get that done inexpensively.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:12 pm
Ah, very interesting. Thanks. I would love to get some actual numbers though. Could you hazard a guess at some kind of range, from cheapest to most expensive? I am completely ignorant of all this, so I have no idea at all.

I'm going to look on craigslist now.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:13 pm
Ikea.

or make your own.

Couple of boards and 2 milk crates just like when you first moved out of home.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:20 pm
Around here (Greater Boston) you can buy a 6' base cabinet, laminate countertop and matching upper cabinets for about $1,200 at someplace like Grossman's outlet. You could probably do about the same if you can wait things out and find "specials" (scratch and dent sales or canx'd orders) at Lowes or Home Depot but those are very hit or miss.

Toss in another $400 for installtion. But a small unit like that is very easy to install and there isn't any reason you couldn't do it yourself.
0 Replies

Swimpy

You can get unfinished, paintable cabinets and premade Formica countertops at Lowes. They aren't too terribly expensive. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=0&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=unfinished%20cabinet

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&Ntt=countertops&Ntk=i_products&category=Cabinets%20&%20Countertops&N=0+5000303
0 Replies

ossobuco

Ikea is a good idea, but when I bought cabinets from them and wanted to install a serious sink, I had to shore the undersink area up with 2 x 4's to hold it. I suppose you could do that with a ledger bolted to studs or a sturdy steel bar or two. None of this is a problem if you have someone who has a clue on necessary support. The cabinets themselves were fine, or fine enough.

I also agree on craigslist potential.

I have a great double cabinet from the early 1900's that I bought for $99.00 at St. Vincent de Pauls in CA and now have here in NM. Still a sturdy mother.

All things being equal, I'd say go for it, Kick. Simple shelves have been cool for a while. Plumbing, how's the plumbing?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:21 pm
Dad, is Ikea from Autralia? Seems awful Eastern Europe to me...

Dag....

RH
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:21 pm
Ooh, this is looking like it might actually work.

Thanks for the GREAT info so far everyone.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:22 pm
Rockhead wrote:
Dad, is Ikea from Autralia? Seems awful Eastern Europe to me...

Dag....

RH

It's swedish. In fact, if you go to the one in Jersey you can order swedish meatballs at the in-store cafeteria.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:22 pm
Ikea is swedish.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:23 pm
craigslist

Quote:
White marble ...countertop, beveled on three edges (unfinished on one side). ... 21.5" Wide x 47" long x 3/4" thick. $75 or best offer. Cash and Carry

there's your countertop - marble, no less - looks good
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:26 pm
craigslist

home depot kitchen cabinets

Quote:
make an offer . in new condition total 7 cabinets

all offers considered. there are 3- that are 30h by 30 w and 2 - that are 30hx 25 w and 3 that are 30 hx15 w.

Will deliver for a fee , will install for a fee within manhattan

From what I've just looked through (manhattan/furniture/kitchen) you could probably buy all the parts you need for $300 - $500, including table/chair and pot rack, if you're inclined that way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:27 pm
Swimpy's right, formica counters are amazingly cheap. (There was the time I left a silver pepper grinder that I'd been polishing on the counter... just before I was going to sell the house. Scurry, scurry. Worked out some artistic improvement on the blemish. Ah, well, the new buyers were richies and tore the whole thing out, not just the counter.)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:35 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Plumbing, how's the plumbing?

I don't know, actually. How does one find out how good or bad the plumbing is in an apartment before moving in? I do know that the shower has a giant hole in the ceiling right above it. I was told that would be fixed. Also, there is no kitchen at all actually, as it is now. I was told they would be installing a stove and fridge, and the sink is there right now. Of course, I will make sure all these things that I was told are in writing.

I also will need some closets. No closets at all in the apartment. I'll need to do a lot of **** to this place. But the rent is REALLY cheap.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:37 pm
Okay, I think I have a pretty good idea now. Now I just have to apply for the place and hope that one of the other 8 million people in NYC don't get it. I'll let you kids know if I get the place.

thanks
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:39 pm
kickycan wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
Plumbing, how's the plumbing?

I don't know, actually. How does one find out how good or bad the plumbing is in an apartment before moving in? I do know that the shower has a giant hole in the ceiling right above it. I was told that would be fixed. Also, there is no kitchen at all actually, as it is now. I was told they would be installing a stove and fridge, and the sink is there right now. Of course, I will make sure all these things that I was told are in writing.

I also will need some closets. No closets at all in the apartment. I'll need to do a lot of **** to this place. But the rent is REALLY cheap.

I would imagine it is REALLY cheap. The way you have been describing this place has caused me pause. Are you sure someone is not trying to trick you into moving into their garage?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:48 pm
That all only make me interested...

Plus, go to a marble/granite yard with a truck...

Cockroaches and bedbugs... there's the questionl.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:49 pm
Kicky, I believe before and after pictures are called for on this one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:51 pm
Bedbugs seem to be pretty standard issue in a lot of big cities in North America again.

Do it, kixster, you can make it happen!
0 Replies