Poll: Who will be the Dem Nominee?

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:05 am
I predict that Obama will be the nominee based on the perception by the super delegates and popular opinion that Obama is the best candidate to go up against McCain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 604 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:08 am
eight more years of republicans.... and never leaving Iraq... okay then...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:49 am
By the way I think you make a good point, Roxxxanne. We've been talking about why Obama's moving up in terms of Edwards voters, debates, voters getting to know him better, etc. But I do think the ascendancy of McCain is another aspect. Early on, it looked like the general election would be Giuliani vs. Hillary. She matches up against him well. Then maybe Romney instead. Not a bit problem, she matches up against him pretty well too. But McCain? Different kettle of fish. (35 years of experience? Um.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:50 am
("bit" = "big")
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:54 am
The Democratic race is obviously too close for anyone to call. Flip a coin.

I believe that the Democrats are pretty much following their traditional track in these matters. The candidates represent vastly different constituencies within a Party that has become ever more driven by idealistic issues, and unwillingness to compromise. There seems to be a propensity for conducting these Party contests with the same sort of vicious and irresponsible tactics used against the GOP. The candidates and their constituencies draw so much fraternal blood that they will go into the general election weakened, though applauded by special interests they represent. The loser's followers will be so disenchanted that they will not whole heartedly support the Party candidate, and may instead either vote of a different Party's candidate, or not vote at all.

The extreme partisans of both Parties get a lot of press, and their energy drives campaign enthusiasms. However, the number of extremists is relatively small and their votes alone can seldom make a difference. Far more important are the moderate voters in both Parties. They are leery of high-risk changes in the way government operates, and their personal pocketbook and value-beliefs outweigh the lofty idealism candidates like to use. Old fashioned values still prevail throughout much of the country, though urban dwellers tend to be more dissatisfied with their perception of the world.

I believe that its likely that American voters will select John McCain as the best representative of their own values. Independence and willing to stand alone if need be when he disagrees on an issue is very American. The toughness that John McCain and his leadership demonstrated as a POW is proof of character unmatched by any other of the current candidates. McCain's character was underlined when his campaign began to look hopeless. McCain recognized the problems, took well-considered risks, reorganized and continued on a broken shoestring. That sort of pluck is something that middle America admires. John McCain has spent a long lifetime serving the United States, and his knowledge of politics of domestic and international politics is incomparably greater than either of the Democratic candidates... combined. He is old, but so is the largest single block of voters who turn out to vote in every election He still bears the wounds of serving the country, but is in good health and with modern medical science he is as likely to serve out his term as the kid-in-a-hurry, Obama.

Lose, and the Democrats will cry foul and tear their beloved candidate into little pieces. Win, and the new Democratic President will be unable to effectively function in the most difficult complex job imaginable. Neither has any knowledge, understanding, nor love for the military that they will command. Both will suddenly have to deliver on promises that are impossible to keep.

However it turns out, America and the Constitution will survive.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:21 am
Quote:
The candidates represent vastly different constituencies within a Party that has become ever more driven by idealistic issues, and unwillingness to compromise.

The Dems in the Senate have compromised on EACH AND EVERY issue over the last 7 years. The Republicans, almost none. I can show you the votes if you like. You are completely off base here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:46 am
Republican pollster Frank Luntz says if he were McCain's campaign manager, he could easily form a potentially winning strategy against Hillary Clinton. He said he wouldn't have a clue as to how to defeat Obama.

BTW I think Obama's youth and symbol of change by far trumps McCAin's experience.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:50 pm
Anyone else want to make a prediction BEFORE Obama's big FAT Super Tuesday?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:02 pm
My prediction , stated on A2K last July , was a Gore vs. Romney contest in Nov '08

I still think there's a strong possibility for both to receive the nomination of their party.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 05:31 pm
Will there be any CHANGE?
I mean a radical change .
No.
Forget it.
After torturing butchering with ficticious reasons
the Americans had voted a replica of cola light (Dems) in 2004.
Not a a bit change.
people are dying.
People in this sense the holy people as well..
What a a wonderful world.
Let USA be a country to mind it's own business.
I feel sorry for Americans and I have no respect for those who represent the unfulfilled American dreams.
I am not alone.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:07 am
Ramafuchs wrote:

Let USA be a country to mind it's own business.

Let's remember that the USA did not provoke the 9/11 attack, nor the bombing of it's embassies in Africa, nor the first WTC attack, etc

Let's also remember that the USA went into Iraq in 1990 to push the Iraqis back to Baghdad after we had turned back their invasion of their neighbor Kuwait.

The present Iraqi situation is the continuation of that conflict. Saddam did not live up to the agreements he made to bring about the ceasefire of 1990. He continued to harbor and finance terrorists and continued to attempt to restart his WMD programs and filled mass graves with the bodies of his political enemies.
0 Replies