American Jews Are Wary of Obama

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 01:21 pm
The normal jews around the world( Indian jews and German jews) are fed up with American Jews views
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 05:23 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
The normal jews around the world( Indian jews and German jews) are fed up with American Jews views

I thought all the Indian Jews assimilated to Hinduism centuries ago. (There was a state within India that was known to have a large Jewish community that had a fair measure of political autonomy, I thought.)

There is a legend that that was where Columbus was trying to go on his voyage, supposedly financed by Spanish Jews that were getting kicked out of Spain with the Inquisition. The national treasury of Spain was supposedly bankrupt, having just spent everything on getting the Moors out of Granada?

Also, a fair percentage of Jews in Germany, are ex-Soviet citizens that decided to emigrate to Germany. But, in my opinion, it's the rare American Jew that would go to Germany (even on vacation).

Aside from Israel, I believe the United States might have the most ethnic Jews, in that many don't hide their ethnicity, nor their pro-Zionist position.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 05:35 pm
Rama apparently believes he has the uncanny ability to speak for anyone, anywhere.

I suspect the impressions he is conveying might just as well reflect prevailing European views of Americans generally, not just American Jews.

Europeans have grown prosperous under the benevolent protection of America since 1945. Now, like priviledged and protected children, they have come to believe their present good fortune is exclusively the result of their own brilliance.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 05:39 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Rama apparently believes he has the uncanny ability to speak for anyone, anywhere.

I suspect the impressions he is conveying might just as well reflect prevailing European views of Americans generally, not just American Jews.

Europeans have grown prosperous under the benevolent protection of America since 1945. Now, like priviledged and protected children, they have come to believe their present good fortune is exclusively the result of their own brilliance.

Sometimes I talk to myself, while looking in the mirror, speaking with a French accent, just to amuse myself. Then I adopt a German accent to motivate myself for the day. Europeans can be very entertaining.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 05:44 pm
I am dead against Hitler.
I am a sted fast supporter of
Gandhi( A pacifist)
Karl Marx( a jew cum communist)
MLK( a humanist.
I care a jot about American jews's influence.

Boker tove
Toda raba
Rama
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 07:10 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
I am dead against Hitler.
I am a sted fast supporter of
Gandhi( A pacifist)
Karl Marx( a jew cum communist)
MLK( a humanist.
I care a jot about American jews's influence.

Boker tove
Toda raba
Rama

What's a "jot"?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 07:15 pm
Care goose = indian English.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:59 am
Finn Da-- the article was posted to provoke. Put Jews in a title and you are asking for it. I admit, I did not read the article clearly until you berated me. But upon close inspection the article really says very little about not much. Why was it published?

I also have difficulties with the way the media handles the Obama race-- they slice everything down to black or white and they act definitive about it. They have to classify till they are self-satisfied. According to the media I ought to be supporting Hillary Clinton. I'm not.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:57 am
Gala wrote:

I also have difficulties with the way the media handles the Obama race-- they slice everything down to black or white and they act definitive about it. They have to classify till they are self-satisfied. According to the media I ought to be supporting Hillary Clinton. I'm not.

Well as the snake in Aesop's fable said to to the man who had just rescued it from a flooding river, only to have the snake bite him in the process.... "I'm a snake, that's what I do."

Slicing and dicing, working to find and hype differences in the positions of candidates; often meaningless "nuance" in the actions of public figures; and endlessly analysing the results --- that's what they do. It is entertainment after all.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:58 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:

Are you saying that American Jews are not normal?

If not, what exactly is it that you're saying.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:59 pm
Gala wrote:
Finn Da-- the article was posted to provoke. Put Jews in a title and you are asking for it. I admit, I did not read the article clearly until you berated me. But upon close inspection the article really says very little about not much. Why was it published?

Gala you seem to reside on a fairly sharp edge.

I didn't berate you. I asked you if you read the article as it appeared, correctly as it turns out, that you had not.

Do you really believe that merely using the term "Jews" in the title of an article is provacative? If so, from who would the author be "asking for it?"
Who will, predictably, get riled by seeing "Jews" in the title of an article?

The article addresses what is an interesting aspect of this Primary season --- possible faultlines in the Democratic coalition which may not be directly caused by, but center on the man who is campaigning that he is a unifier; transcending harmful labels.

Jews are an important Democratic constituency. If there is a sense that as a bloc they may be rejecting one of the two main candidates, that's news. As I've already said I think the author addresses what is a newsworthy story with objectivity and without a predetermined conclusion.

I'm not a huge fan of The Media, but most of the reporters who cover these campaigns are political junkies, and cynical (or realistic depending upon your point of view) to boot. They are interested in the horserace, the stratagies and tactics, the behind the scenes players, and above all else, the missteps. If anything they are giving Obama an easier time of it than all the other candidates.

They're really not that interested in ideas either because they find them boring (or assume we do) or because they have an insider's view on politics and know that the ideas are BS and it's really all about power and what it takes to get it.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 07:51 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Gala wrote:
Gala you seem to reside on a fairly sharp edge.

I didn't berate you. I asked you if you read the article as it appeared, correctly as it turns out, that you had not.

Do you really believe that merely using the term "Jews" in the title of an article is provacative? If so, from who would the author be "asking for it?"
Who will, predictably, get riled by seeing "Jews" in the title of an article?

The article addresses what is an interesting aspect of this Primary season --- possible faultlines in the Democratic coalition which may not be directly caused by, but center on the man who is campaigning that he is a unifier; transcending harmful labels.

Jews are an important Democratic constituency. If there is a sense that as a bloc they may be rejecting one of the two main candidates, that's news. As I've already said I think the author addresses what is a newsworthy story with objectivity and without a predetermined conclusion.

I'm not a huge fan of The Media, but most of the reporters who cover these campaigns are political junkies, and cynical (or realistic depending upon your point of view) to boot. They are interested in the horserace, the stratagies and tactics, the behind the scenes players, and above all else, the missteps. If anything they are giving Obama an easier time of it than all the other candidates.

They're really not that interested in ideas either because they find them boring (or assume we do) or because they have an insider's view on politics and know that the ideas are BS and it's really all about power and what it takes to get it.

If not berating then condescending...

Look, Mildew posted the article to provoke.

I know someone who cringes everytime people use the word "minority" to refer to a race of people other than white. I'd never given it much thought. Now I see how out of step the term is.
0 Replies