27 February 2002: SOTU

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:10 pm
I will continue to meet with you and ask for your input. You have been kind and candid, and I thank you for making a new President feel welcome

An artist using statistics as a brush could paint two very different pictures of our country. One would have warning signs: increasing layoffs, rising energy prices, too many failing schools, persistent poverty, the stubborn vestiges of racism. Another picture would be full of blessings: a balanced budget, big surpluses, a military that is second to none, a country at peace with its neighbors, technology that is revolutionizing the world, and our greatest strength -- concerned citizens who care for our country and care for each other.

Neither picture is complete in and of itself. And tonight I challenge and invite Congress to work with me to use the resources of one picture to repaint the other; to direct the advantages of our time to solve the problems of our people. Some of these resources will come from government.

A budget's impact is counted in dollars, but measured in lives. Excellent schools, quality health care, a secure retirement, a cleaner environment, a stronger defense -- these are all important needs, and we fund them. The highest percentage increase in our budget should go to our children's education. Education is not my top priority -- education is my top priority and, by supporting this budget, you'll make it yours, as well.

The budget I propose to you also supports the people who keep our country strong and free, the men and women who serve in the United States military. I'm requesting $5.7 billion in increased military pay and benefits, and health care and housing. Our men and women in uniform give America their best and we owe them our support.

America 's veterans honored their commitment to our country through their military service. I will honor our commitment to them with a million-dollar increase to ensure better access to quality care and faster decisions on benefit claims.

And as we transform our military, we can discard Cold War relics, and reduce our own nuclear forces to reflect today's needs. A strong America is the world's best hope for peace and freedom.

http://www.thisnation.com/library/sotu/2001gwb.html

What kind of message you expect tomorrow?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 646 • Replies: 15
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:26 pm
"You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on." Bushie.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:29 pm
Blueflame
I am here to highlight the words of an American president.
And accept my thanks in haste before i proceed the next step and here it is.

29 January 2002

The American flag flies again over our embassy in Kabul. Terrorists who once occupied Afghanistan now occupy cells at Guantanamo Bay. And terrorist leaders who urged followers to sacrifice their lives are running for their own.
America and Afghanistan are now allies against terror. We will be partners in rebuilding that country. And this evening we welcome the distinguished interim leader of a liberated Afghanistan: Chairman Hamid Karzai.
Today women are free, and are part of Afghanistan's new government. And we welcome the new minister of women's affairs, Dr. Sima Samar.
Our progress is a tribute to the spirit of the Afghan people, to the resolve of our coalition and to the might of the United States military.
When I called our troops into action, I did so with complete confidence in their courage and skill. And tonight, thanks to them, we are winning the war on terror.
While the most visible military action is in Afghanistan, America is acting elsewhere.

Many nations are acting forcefully. Pakistan is now cracking down on terror, and I admire the strong leadership of President Musharraf. But some governments will be timid in the face of terror. And make no mistake about it: If they do not act, America will.

---------------------------------------- the next follows-----------
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:35 pm
28 january 2003

This country has many challenges.
We will not deny, we will not ignore, we will not pass along our problems to other Congresses, other presidents, and other generations.
We will confront them with focus, and clarity, and courage.

During the last two years, we have seen what can be accomplished when we work together. To lift the standards of our public schools, we achieved historic education reform - which must now be carried out in every school, and every classroom, so that every child in America can read, and learn, and succeed in life. To protect our country, we reorganized our government and created the Department of Homeland Security - which is mobilizing against the threats of a new era. To bring our economy out of recession, we delivered the largest tax relief in a generation. To insist on integrity in American business, we passed tough reforms, and we are holding corporate criminals to account.

Some might call this a good record.
I call it a good start.
Tonight I ask the House and Senate to join me in the next bold steps to serve our fellow citizens.
------------------------------ next one follows------------
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:41 pm
20 January 2004

Having broken the Baathist regime, we face a remnant of violent Saddam supporters. Men who ran away from our troops in battle are now dispersed and attack from the shadows. These killers, joined by foreign terrorists, are a serious, continuing danger. Yet we're making progress against them. The once all-powerful ruler of Iraq was found in a hole, and now sits in a prison cell. Of the top 55 officials of the former regime, we have captured or killed 45. Our forces are on the offensive, leading over 1,600 patrols a day and conducting an average of 180 raids a week. We are dealing with these thugs in Iraq, just as surely as we dealt with Saddam Hussein's evil regime.
The work of building a new Iraq is hard, and it is right
As democracy takes hold in Iraq, the enemies of freedom will do all in their power to spread violence and fear. They are trying to shake the will of our country and our friends, but the United States of America will never be intimidated by thugs and assassins. The killers will fail, and the Iraqi people will live in freedom.
Month by month, Iraqis are assuming more responsibility for their own security and their own future. And tonight we are honored to welcome one of Iraq's most respected leaders: the current President of the Iraqi Governing Council, Adnan Pachachi.
Sir, America stands with you and the Iraqi people as you build a free and peaceful nation.

---------------------------- not yet over-------------------
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:47 pm
2 February 2005

Tonight, with a healthy, growing economy, with more Americans going back to work, with our nation an active force for good in the world -- the state of our union is confident and strong.

Our generation has been blessed -- by the expansion of opportunity, by advances in medicine, by the security purchased by our parents' sacrifice.

Now, as we see a little gray in the mirror -- or a lot of gray -- and we watch our children moving into adulthood, we ask the question: What will be the state of their union?

Members of Congress, the choices we make together will answer that question. Over the next several months, on issue after issue, let us do what Americans have always done, and build a better world for our children and our grandchildren.

First, we must be good stewards of this economy, and renew the great institutions on which millions of our fellow citizens rely

------------------------------------------ more follows--------
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:49 pm
Re: 27 February 2002: SOTU
Ramafuchs wrote:
... An artist using statistics as a brush could paint two very different pictures of our country. One would have warning signs: increasing layoffs, rising energy prices, too many failing schools, persistent poverty, the stubborn vestiges of racism. Another picture would be full of blessings: a balanced budget, big surpluses, a military that is second to none, a country at peace with its neighbors, technology that is revolutionizing the world, and our greatest strength -- concerned citizens who care for our country and care for each other.

Neither picture is complete in and of itself. And tonight I challenge and invite Congress to work with me to use the resources of one picture to repaint the other; ...

What kind of message you expect tomorrow?

A message that calls for us to airbrush the real picture.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 04:54 pm
squinney
thanks for your precise, pituresque penetrating response.

31 January 2006

In this decisive year,
you and I will make choices that determine both the future and the character of our country. We will choose to act confidently in pursuing the enemies of freedom -- or retreat from our duties in the hope of an easier life.
We will choose to build our prosperity by leading the world economy -- or shut ourselves off from trade and opportunity.
In a complex and challenging time, the road of isolationism and protectionism may seem broad and inviting -- yet it ends in danger and decline.
The only way to protect our people, the only way to secure the peace, the only way to control our destiny is by our leadership -- so the United States of America will continue to lead.

------------------------------- and one more please-------------
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 05:03 pm
23rd january 2007

Some in this Chamber are new to the House and Senate - and I congratulate the Democratic majority.
Congress has changed, but our responsibilities have not.
Each of us is guided by our own convictions - and to these we must stay faithful.
Yet we are all held to the same standards, and called to serve the same good purposes:
To extend this Nation's prosperity ... to spend the people's money wisely ... to solve problems, not leave them to future generations ... to guard America against all evil, and to keep faith with those we have sent forth to defend us.
http://www.thisnation.com/library/sotu/2007gwb.html
All the above cut and paste for which i am very popular are from the above link and original words of the President.
Now my question is this.
Are there anybody who repudiate Bush's Dreamy world?
I am quite curious to know how he is going to present his 7 years noble service as president.
This thread is not for those who are one-sided but for those to understand the real politics.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 03:30 pm
Despite Bush's reluctance to go over his record at length, in many ways, the speech was a reminder of the failures of the Bush presidency.

The ambitious domestic agenda unveiled in previous state of the union addresses never got off the ground as Bush acknowledged himself last night when he talked about the failed efforts to overhaul social security and America's immigration laws.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2248629,00.html

George Bush used his final state of the union address last night to try to reassert his primacy in American political life and demonstrate his commitment to Republican principles. But it was impossible to escape comparisons between the Bush of seven years ago, newly arrived from Texas with a reputation as a uniter and with a vision for sweeping change, with the modest proposals put forward by the president tonight. Watching America: A Recession Announced. My Town: SOTU 2008...don’t let the door hit you on the ass. WSWS: Bush’s last State of the Union speech overshadowed by deepening crisis. Think progress: SOTU: Bush Gets A Kiss.
http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/cgi-bin/blogs/indx.php
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 05:17 pm
"We live in a nation of gluttonous stupor and comfortable surroundings, easily distracted by the cocktail of materialism that lines our homes.

We are trained
to live to work,
not work to live,
sacrificing love of life for love for the Almighty dollar,
becoming worker bees and soldier ants,
selling our souls to the demons of capitalism
in exchange for the happiness and stress-free lives of yesteryear,
needing pharmaceutical drugs
to escape the depression of our daily lives,
willingly choosing to indebt our present and future
in order to possess
the vast array of adult toys marketed to manipulate our emotions, wrongly thinking this or that product will reincarnate lost happiness.

America is the land of plenty,
where waistlines expand,
stress increases,
mental problems grow,
work hours increase
and vehicles get bigger and bigger,
a land addicted to the devil’s excrement,
like a heroin user injecting black gold into its ever thirsty veins, becoming a violent, warmongering junkie
when the perpetual case of cold turkey arises."
Manuel Valenzuela
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 02:48 pm
But the state of our Union is anything but strong.
Consider these snapshots:

1. The United States is spending more than $700 billion a year on the military.
2. Wealth is concentrating in the United States at a startling rate.
3. Compensation for CEOs and Wall Street financiers is out of control
4. Corporations are capturing more of the nation's wealth.
5. The housing bubble and the subprime mortgage meltdown are driving millions of families from their homes.
6. The racial wealth divide remains a chasm with little prospect of being bridged -- and is likely growing worse.
7. Women continue to be paid far less than men.
8. More than one in six children live in poverty.
9. More than 45 million people in the United States do not have health insurance.
10. The U.S. trade deficit is more than 5 percent of the gross domestic product.
11. U.S. fuel efficiency is worse now than it was two decades ago.
12. The nation's infrastructure is crumbling.
13. More than two million people in the United States are locked in prison.
http://www.counterpunch.org/weissman01302008.html

The new occupant of White house has enough to do to redress the above mentioned issues.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 05:36 pm
Pity if not pathetic.
Same old song.
Nothing new.
No change or hope.
Let the world get rid of this nonsense
and concentrate on vital problems.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 03:23 pm
My posts are always upholding decency, democracy and decorum .

Hypocracy is not my cake or butter.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:09 am
Before you pick up a resident in White house who is branded as President please persuse this quote and think deeply.

"America today is a nation with great challenges, but greater resources. An artist using statistics as a brush could paint two very different pictures of our country. One would have warning signs: increasing layoffs, rising energy prices, too many failing schools, persistent poverty, the stubborn vestiges of racism. Another picture would be full of blessings: a balanced budget, big surpluses, a military that is second to none, a country at peace with its neighbors, technology that is revolutionizing the world, and our greatest strength -- concerned citizens who care for our country and care for each other.
Neither picture is complete in and of itself. And tonight I challenge and invite Congress to work with me to use the resources of one picture to repaint the other; to direct the advantages of our time to solve the problems of our people. Some of these resources will come from government. Some, but not all.
And my budget adopts a hopeful new approach to help the poor and the disadvantaged. We must encourage and support the work of charities and faith-based and community groups that offer help and love one person at a time. These groups are working in every neighborhood in America to fight homelessness and addiction and domestic violence; to provide a hot meal or a mentor or a safe haven for our children. Government should welcome these groups to apply for funds, not discriminate against them.
Government cannot be replaced by charities or volunteers. Government should not fund religious activities. But our nation should support the good works of these good people who are helping their neighbors in need. So I propose allowing all taxpayers, whether they itemize or not, to deduct their charitable contributions. Estimates show this could encourage as much as $14 billion a year in new charitable giving, money that will save and change lives.
Our budget provides more than $700 million over the next 10 years for a federal compassion capital fund, with a focused and noble mission, to provide a mentor to the more than 100 million children with a parent in prison, and to support other local efforts to fight illiteracy, teen pregnancy, drug addiction and other difficult problems.

State of the Union Address
George W. Bush

27 February 2001
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 01:34 pm
Irrespective of my critical verbal vomitations
may I beg all the Americans to vote Repubs and not Dems.
Why the hell you expect somebody else to clean the toilet?
This thread had some quote from our compassionate comrade in arm who had failed to fulfill his promises or assurances.

So let the world enjoy the original dancers of corporate controlled democracy than a faded fake duplicates.
0 Replies