Why 7 days for Creation?

Krumple

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 11:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

When did god create earth? How about the moon?

The moon isn't the moon. It's the second "light". Yes the Bible refers to the moon as a light. God isn't very bright (pun intended) here by mistakenly referring to it as a light rather than reflecting the light from the su. But come on, you can't expect god to know everything.
kk4mds

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 10:38 am
@Krumple,
Actually, you can't expect the authors of Genesis to know everything. That is why it is not intended to be either a history or a science book, but about moral and ethical teachings.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 10:38 am
@kk4mds,
kk4mds wrote:

Actually, you can't expect the authors of Genesis to know everything. That is why it is not intended to be either a history or a science book, but about moral and ethical teachings.

And begatting.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 01:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
.....about moral and ethical teachings.

ROTFLMAO
There are too many errors, omissions, and contradictions in the bible to know what is moral and ethical. Will the believer of the bible kill their own family member or siblings if they are unbelievers like the bible directs them to do?

Quote:
Deuteronomy 13:
6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death

The great irony for stoning one's own family member to death for not believing in their god is unlawful. It's called murder.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 03:15 pm
But the begatting part could have been pretty good.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 03:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
My memory is so bad, I forgot all the bigats.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 10:28 pm
@kk4mds,
kk4mds wrote:

Moral and ethical teachings?

You mean like, bashing disobedient children against rocks?

Or

Suggesting to kill anyone who breaks the rules?

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 07:52 am
@Krumple,
At the time it was written, it WAS moral and ethical. All the more reason to ignore it now...
kk4mds

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 10:53 am
@TomTomBinks,
Correct. In the middle of a desert, fighting for survival, a disobedient child could cause great harm to the members of the tribe. However, as Judaism has evolved it has made the imposition of the death penalty all but impossible.

(Sanh. 51b, Talmud) Similarly, the passage in Mishnah Makkot 1:10: "A Sanhedrin that puts a man to death once in seven years is called a murderous one. R. Eleazar ben Azariah says 'Or even once in 70 years.'

As it is, Sanhedrin was the only religious court authorized to impose capital punishment. This authority was banned by the Romans. Now, neither the Sanhedrin nor the Temple exist.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 08:45 pm
@Krumple,
kk4mds wrote,
Quote:
That is why it is not intended to be either a history or a science book, but about moral and ethical teachings.

Thank you for my good laugh for today. The bible is anything but the teaching of morals and ethics. It's about demanding loyalty (like Trump), and commanding that unbelievers be stoned to death. A tyrant and sadist.
kk4mds

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2017 03:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yet, one of the greatest Torah scholars of all time, Hillel, when asked to briefly explain Torah's message, said, "What is hateful to you, do not do to others. This is the whole Torah. All the rest is commentary. Go and learn it."

But maybe you understand it better than a man who spent his entire life studying it.

If you read it a little more carefully, you will see that only those under the covenant, Jews, are commanded to believe in G-d. What gentiles believe is immaterial.

Also, as Abraham, Moses, Lot, etc. argued with G-d, as one would with a father, not a tyrant, apparently you misunderstand. After all, Talmud stresses that all life is sacred. So death sentences were extremely rare, and, even before the destruction of the Temple, were all but impossible.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2017 03:38 pm
@kk4mds,
I don't claim to be more wise or knowledgeable than anyone else. I only question what I see as inconsistencies and contradictions of past authors and so-called gods.
I trust science and scientists to tell us about our environment, not some 2,000 year old book. I believe that this planet is 4.55 billion years old.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-science-figured-out-the-age-of-the-earth/
I try to apply logic and common sense in my belief system. I understand that my choice is just as subjective as those who believe in their religions. There are many religions in this world. My "religion" is treat all living things with respect and dignity.
I am the only one in our family who is an atheist. Go figure.
0 Replies

cameronleon

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 03:43 am
God teaches us order.

Evil is synonymous of chaos.

When God established 7 steps to be kept, and used the rotation of earth in reference to the Sun as the model for remind us those 7 steps as 7 days, we acknowledge the great wisdom from His part for us to follow in a easy way His instructions.

The simple the better.

Only the rebel and the ignorant can't see it.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 08:21 am
@cameronleon,
WOW, talk abut circular reasoning.
1You have a book that some guy makes everything in 7 days (it in the Book folks)

2THEN, as if its forensic science , you use derivative stories from the SAME BOOK as evidence to the court.

My guess is that you dont make your living in science or law enforcement
cameronleon

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 12:25 pm
@farmerman,
I guess you have a book where a dude said that the whole universe comes from a microscopic particle.

That is the most stupid idea someone has ever invented.

There is no science at all in such an idea.

There is no evidence at all that such phenomenon can ever occur in the universe regardless of its state when it was formed.

The Bible shows an ordered path of creation, while what you believe in its a bunch of conjectures in complete chaos.

You even fail when you guess, and this is the funniest part.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 03:23 pm
@TomTomBinks,
It was not moral or ethical all during human existence. That's the reason why the "book" has too many errors, omissions and contradictions. They didn't understand about planet earth or of morals. 2,000 plus years ago, they sacrificed humans. That's not moral or ethical; it's called murder today.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 03:42 pm
@cameronleon,
Quote:
I guess you have a book where a dude said that the whole universe comes from a microscopic particle.

That is the most stupid idea someone has ever invented.
There was an "idea" (actually it was derived by a Catholic Priest). Evidence then followed nd the entire IDEA was fleshed out into an explanation. Now more and more data piles up.
See s, science doesnt call anything a "Theory" until there is the condition in which
ALL THE DATA SUPPORTS THE THEORY AND NO DATA REFUTES IT.

Your "evidence" (ie quote from the Book then find more quotes in the same book that say "Seee? were right"!!

now thats really what Id call dumass thinking.

Faith is faith, dont try to make believe its real science. PUHLEEZE, nobody is that stupid. (Well , maybe a few)

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 07:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
[quoteThat's not moral or ethical; it's called murder today. ][/quote]
I agree it's barbaric. My point is that at the time it was the height of morality. Morality has to be taken in context with the times. Times have changed. Morality is not absolute or universal.
cameronleon

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 08:11 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
See s, science doesn't call anything a "Theory" until there is the condition in which
ALL THE DATA SUPPORTS THE THEORY AND NO DATA REFUTES IT.

Ha ha ha ha...

Hey, show here the evidence that time exists BEFORE it happens that fantasy called "dilatation of time"

Bring here the explanation step by step of such "evolution" from a primary microscopic cell up to a human.

Show here, the evidence that from a microscopic particle galaxis can be formed.

And when I say EVIDENCE, I mean it.

You have no evidence at all but silly conjectures supporting the theories in question, like evolution, relativity, the big bang.

You know nothing about science, in this matter you are an ignorant.

Learn today, that if no evidence, sure evidence, evidence without question is presented to support those fantasies of evolution, relativity and big bang, then those so called theories of science are nothing but idiot's fantasies.

Today's science has been invaded by stupid guys who invent silly ideas, fill their arguments wit dumb formulas and equations, pay good money, find people of influence, and declare their stupidity as "theories of science."

Show here your "evidence" that the big bang really happened from a microscopic particle.

Lets fight biblical genesis against your scientific genesis.

You will find yourself as a complete ignorant when every one of your arguments supporting the microscopic particle forming galaxies is nothing but conjectures.

So, the invitation has been made.

Start with one of your evidence.

From my part, I can establish that the word "day" in Hebrew, also means step, with the intention of to day, the first phase (step, day, etc.), is this, the second phase is this, the third phase... and so forth.

The narration of the bible implies order from the very beginning.

Well, show now your first evidence.

cameronleon

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 08:27 am
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
I agree it's barbaric. My point is that at the time it was the height of morality. Morality has to be taken in context with the times. Times have changed. Morality is not absolute or universal.

Everyone has its own morality.

Morality is also shared in a family, community, country, region, etc.

When you belong to a drug addict group, the morality of your group is different from the morality found in a group of persons who go to church. Even when this is not necessarily obligation or accomplishment.

At the end, morality in individuals can change the way the individual changes his mind, and the individual can change his mind as many times as he pleases.

When is about a community or a country, morality is established in accord to what the leaders think is the best for the rest, or by vote deciding what will be the new moral tendency.

The morality found in the bible was established not only for the individual but for the community, to the point that the government was based in that morality.

Today, government has separated from religious doctrines and people following religion obey the morality found in the bible to avoid confrontation with the biblical laws, but can't enforce the biblical laws over others because the government is not subjected to the same religious laws.

It is "barbaric" as an example, to see a married woman cheating on her husband with many men, the husband finding out the behavior of the woman, asking for divorce, and the case ending by having the woman keeping the house, the children, collecting child support, and kept having affairs with other men.

According to the law of the land, the best for the children is to stay with the b*tch. Lol.

The bible shows more justice about it.

Kill the cheater and problem solved. Justice has been accomplished properly.