eoe

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 12:03 pm
Putting out the fire was easy. I shut off the oven, slid the pan and the rack out (that's how the spills dripped and oozed in between the glass) and let the fire burn itself out. But it was such a yucky mess. Egg mixture was everywhere. Must have used almost half a roll of paper towels to sop it all up. I still don't know what I was thinking or how such a stupid idea even came to me, let alone making any sense atall!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 12:59 pm
Just when we reach the point in our lives where we think we are fabulous in the kitchen, too! Oh, I suppose I need a reminder.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 02:47 pm
The turkey was salvaged.
I had a turkey roaster, heck, I used it the previous year.....but, I just couldn't pass up this deal, the sign said, seventy-five percent off. I had to buy one.
Osso- that was a hilarious cooking story.
Eoe- I also have a drip that snuck through a vent slot and managed to drip down the glass. The engineers weren't thinking when they designed my oven, the glass has no access to it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 05:07 pm
Re: Kitchen disasters
Swimpy wrote:
Tell us about your latest disaster so I won't feel so alone.

On the run this morning, so ...

Bookmarking this thread in an extremely empathetic manner! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:41 pm
Just talking to mumpad about your disaster swimpy.

She said you should double up some baking paper and line the 1.5 inch trays allow the paper to sit up higher than the top of your tray It will take care of the extra height needed.
What a good idea.

Also she said turf the cremated remains and drink the Baileys.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:07 pm
mumpad is a woman after my own heart. That is a great idea about the baking paper. They do that for souffles.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:14 pm
Oh btw, the store bought cake was just fine. I am going to try that recipe again. I may try mumpad's suggestion or I may splurge and buy new higher pans. My cake pans are old and cheap.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:18 pm
Swimpy wrote:
My cake pans are old and cheap.

<saving for future sig line>
0 Replies

dant

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:05 am
This isn't my disaster, but it could be.

My grandma was never a good cook. Her idea of cooking was like Mary Hartman Mary Hartman (remember her?) - who used to stir cans around in a pot.

My grandma decided to put a can of raviolis in a pot of boiling water. She went out. She forgot to put holes in the top of the can and she even forgot that she was boiling the can.

There are still red spots embedded in the ceiling of her kitchen from the sauce. Sounded like a bomb went off. Laughing
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:30 am
Probably the biggest kitchen disaster happened not long after my daughter was born.

MIL came down to lend a hand and decided to cook lamb roast (yuuuuummmm). We had an electric stove. After cooking the vegetables she placed dinner plates on the hot plate to warm on the residual heat in the hotplate, unfortunatly she had not turned it down sufficiently. They exploded magnificently, showering powdered glass into the pan of gravy reducing on the other side of the stove.

Fortunately the leg o lamb was still in the oven so was quite edible.

I often razz her about putting ground glass in my food.

Banana custard is another story. One for mumpad to tell I think.
Then there was honeyed carrots
Back in the 60's or early 70's before leaving home my family was strictly a meat and 3 veg family. my mother, wishing to be adventurous, decided to try honeyed carrots which were all the rage in the womens magazines at the time.

She has never lived down the result.
0 Replies

dant

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:46 am
Dadpad, don't leave us hanging! What happened with the carrots?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 01:04 am
Yeah, what happened to the carrots?

Great stories all Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 06:38 pm
this happened many years ago - before the days of instant oatmeal .
mrs h always boiled up a pot of hot oatmeal for me the night before , just reheating it in the morning .
i noticed that ROLLED WHEAT was cheaper than the oatmeal and brought some home .
mrs h told me that the wheat was not right as a replacement for the oatmeal - it was quite coarse even after boiling it for a long time .

i knew better Shocked
i put the wheat flakes in a pressure cooker , added water and started it up .
i went into the living room to read the paper ... and BOOM it went !
rushed into the kitchen - the pressure gauge had blown off and hit the ceiling putting a dent in it - the wheat had shot up through the "blowhole" and covered the ceiling !
what a mess ! we tried to scrape off the wheat-glue as well as we could but when we moved out three years later there was still some residue left on the ceiling - the next tenant should have paid us for it Laughing

i was VERY QUIET and refrained from further kitchen experiments :wink:
hbg

ps. ehbeth does not seem to have suffered much from the explosion
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 06:46 pm
and now I know why I have a fear of pressure cookers ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 06:50 pm
Oooooooooh! A rolled wheat & pressure cooker incident! Shocked

I knew there was a good reason for my pressure cooker phobia!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 07:19 pm
Oh wow. Mr. Hamburger, are you ehBeth's father??!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:03 pm
http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/32559/2922408790098509452S425x425Q85.jpg

hamburger with assistant on a non-cooking kitchen expedition
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:45 pm
msolga & Beth, I'm with you in your pressure cooker phobia. I've never witnessed an explosion, but my mother had and would never let us in the kitchen when she used it.

My d-i-l used a pressure cooker all the time in Austria, but wasn't able bring it with her to the States. I got her one for Cristmas. Now I'm thinking of getting one myself. You have to face your fears, right?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:18 pm
Swimpy wrote:
msolga & Beth, I'm with you in your pressure cooker phobia. I've never witnessed an explosion, but my mother had and would never let us in the kitchen when she used it.

My d-i-l used a pressure cooker all the time in Austria, but wasn't able bring it with her to the States. I got her one for Cristmas. Now I'm thinking of getting one myself. You have to face your fears, right?

You do, Swimpy!

And I (sort of) did. The new models (I'm told) are far safer than the old (sometimes exploding!) ones. I have one & have used it now & then ... but frankly, when I have the choice ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:33 pm
Something in common... I have pressure cooker phobia too.
0 Replies