whos worse ? nazis or americans?

Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:33 pm
Ok. Happy Valentines Day to my favorite furrner as well.

(Don't hit me, I just crashed my car)

RH
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:36 pm
thanks, i guess.

amigo, i'll deal with you later. off you go to the principal's office.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:37 am
I'll be waiting.........with no pants on.

Heres a picture of me nakid at a swinger party I hosted

http://www.jibjab.com/view/144897
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:44 am
dagmaraka wrote:
teaching kids selected bits of history (by whom? certainly not by african americans and not by native americans...) leads to good citizens? who knew. I thought we wanted citizens who can think critically (which is very different from self-hating). i thought that was called propaganda, not history.

and, by the way, more and more nations are complexifying their history textbooks, adding the 'bad stuff' in; historians work with other historians across borders, bringing diverging historical narratives together... the goal for most of them is as much diversity,analysis, learning.... not selecting and preaching only what's comfortable or positive.

Since you are directing your post to me, I'll answer. (Perhaps, you should use the "quote" button, so you needn't have anyone wonder to whom you are directing a post?)

In the public schools I went to, we had Social Studies, which was a combination of American history, and civics. I believe one of the goals was to develop future good citizens. Meaning, we learned history, in context of the different Presidents, the way the branches of government work, the Constitution and Bill of Rights, all within the framework of the main historical events.

It was a priori (without question - there are other readers) that slavery, mistreatment of Native Americans, prejudiced attitude towards some immigrants of other religions, was wrong; however, the reason behind the actions was explained in context of the thinking for that prior period in history. That is not propaganda (or rather "false propaganda"). If it was taught with the specific intent to proselytize that the United States was wrong in this way, or that way, that would be propaganda, since it would be promulgating a belief. That is not what public school was about. It was supposed to be like the old black and white detective show Dragnet, where Joe Friday would tell someone, "Just the facts, Ma'am!"

And again, it is inconsequential to me what the rest of the world is doing today relative to educating their respective youth. The United States is the United States. It is not the EU, nor any other country. Go around the country and you might find that fewer people care what is going on in Europe, or elsewhere, than in your neck-of-the-woods. Nothing is wrong with your perspective, I believe. I just don't believe there is any objective correctness to have the current world view on education. Some of us are just plain vanilla Americans, and we do not consider ourselves citizens of the world (not saying that is yourself, but I'm just pointing out the dichotomy with my provincial thinking).

Also, in the United States, education is what each state oversees. So, I can only talk for my education, in my state.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 01:13 pm
My neck of the woods is Boston, foofie. And my job revolves around history and memory. And I'm telling you textbooks are changing right here in your oe U.S. of A. and your way of thinking would be in the minority among those that deal with historical textbooks. That's all.
And...THEY definitely do look to other countries for trends in education. Most educators do. You, of course, don't have to, your choice. The less we know, the happier we are..right?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 03:54 pm
kickycan wrote:
Foofie wrote:
any history of Europe cannot be compared to any history of the United States, when talking to someone that's Jewish.

Unless the person talking to the jew is a native american, of course.
Whatta come back. Genius!
0 Replies

SerialCoder

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 10:28 pm
I don't see much difference between the behavior of the Nazi and American regimes. If we are talking about overt and calculated destruction I think they have us beat. They were much more open and brazen in their disregard for human life. As far as sheer numbers go, we still hold the record!!!! It is estimated that our European diseases were responsible for the death of up to 90% of the indigenous population. Much of this disease spread so fast that tens of millions were dead and burned/buried before we ever had a chance to shoot them ourselves. No, it may not be as cold and vicious as gas chambers but our acknowledgement that it was a "divine plan" because God wanted us to be there. Now that is priceless!!!

The fact that we still regulate their commerce and tamper with their sovergnty every chance we get, that's just the US doing what we do best. (poking people in the eyes) At lease the Nazi regime fell and their ancestors feel bad about screwing the Jews. We run around acting like it was a big misunderstanding... Yeah, were a bunch of dicks.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:40 pm
kickycan wrote:
Foofie wrote:
any history of Europe cannot be compared to any history of the United States, when talking to someone that's Jewish.

Unless the person talking to the jew is a native american, of course.

i lol'd
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:43 pm
thanks for contributing to this post, ive red alot of great information and you gave alot of opinions.
0 Replies

Hybrid

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 02:08 am
OGIONIK wrote:
what? genocide?
i still dont see why the nazi killing is so horrible when everyone does the same ****.

is it merely the fact they were our economic enemy that makes us give a harsher rating to their genocide than others?

im still looking for the reasons capitalists hate communists. fascists, w/e.

why is capitalism the "king"?

no one ever has any real answers to these questions, i have concluded most of it is propaganda.

war isnt fair, why do we try to candy coat it with bullshit? all of a sudden taking land by force is "wrong" and yet we continue on our path of glorious american empire. sickening. i have yet to hear one actual good reason for being at war for any reason, the only reason for war is to build empires, period.

What the **** are you talking about, build empires? we are at war because of a little something called 911. If you dont know what that is ill refresh you, one day thousands of americans woke up took their kids to school and went to work just like any other day. But o wait on this particular day some pissed off scum of the earth doon coons hijacked our american planes and drove them directly into our american buildings in our own country, this isnt about oil, money, empires, or anything its about taking up for ourselves and getting revenge for the tohusands of our own people who felt they were safe. Those people couldv'e lived if it wasnt for you radical idea hippise running around spreading peace and humanism. If it were up to us true americans than those damn ragheads wouldve been dead before they even boarded the planes.
0 Replies

SerialCoder

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 06:21 am
Wow Hybrid, are you a little bitter? I think that someone must have sprinkled a little racism on your corn flakes when you weren't looking...

To be fair, I think you are both right. I think that we are at war for the empire. The jack-holes that make calls like that cant really take us to war without support though. So, the easiest way to generate support from the non-thinking masses is to whip them up into a frenzied fervor. This time they used "Ragheads" as their pallet and painted up a nice picture for the mob to get all nationalistic about. I was trying to think about a parallel in history but the only one I could come up with was Adolph getting the Germans all bent over the Jews. I suppose that would be inappropriate since Hitler = Bad and America = Good.

As far as hippies spreading peace and humanism, that is ridiculous. Our mission is to spread Herpes and Communist ideals, the peace and humanism is just an accidental side effect.
0 Replies