Churches, the central mobilising vehicle for policy in USA?

husker

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 01:54 pm
That self-deceiving loons group is a pretty hefty number of people in the world. Why pray for "World Peace" when the so called Evangelical Christians think they know the outcome??
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 01:55 pm
In the US, evangelical implies something quite different. It implies rigid adgerance to scripture as the "literal truth." The other term is fundamentalist.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 01:57 pm
husker wrote:
That self-deceiving loons group is a pretty hefty number of people in the world. Why pray for "World Peace" when the so called Evangelical Christians think they know the outcome??

In Karen Armstrong's book, "The BAttle For God," she quotes Donald Wildmon stating that to pray for peace was to go against the wishes of God." Scary, no?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 02:05 pm
I don't pray for Peace - I pray for God's will in everything.

I pray that as many people as possible can come to know God.

I pray that it's God's will to give mercy, grace, and healing to the people whom I lift up in prayer.

I pray to thank God for all the blessings that are given to me, and I pray that I can understand the will of God.

Scary for you? Not for me at all. Am I a fundamentalist? I don't think so, am I a Evangelical maybe.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 02:14 pm
The Corruption of Modern Evangelicalism
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 02:17 pm
Quote:
Evangelicalism

Originally applied to Christians who center their theology in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (literal: Good News). Modern Evangelicalism took shape in the American revivals of the 18th and 19th centuries. New or neo-Evangelicalism arose in the 40's and 50's to refine anti-intellectual Fundamentalism (see "Fundamentalism"). Modern day Evangelicalism has widely sold out to modern culture and thereby lost sight of the centrality of the Gospel.

Quote:
Fundamentalism

A late 19th and early 20th century Protestant movement that opposed the accommodation of Christian doctrine to modern scientific theory and philosophy, specifically Darwinian evolution. Identified as anti-intellectual, Fundamentalism prompted the rise of neo-Evangelicalism.

Dictionary of Theological Terms: by Don Matzat
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 02:38 pm
I'm still rather sure that evangelical belief started with Luther in 1517/21.
Evangelical Churches in Germany
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 03:02 pm
And we KNOW about LUTHER'S PROBLEM, Walter!! Therein lies the whole answer, probably.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 05:19 pm
People who answer polls that they are Christian in my experience really don't practice Christianity except for Christmas and Easter. Those who say they practice the other religions are more likely to be a devout practitioner of that religion, perhaps even more likely to be a fundamentalist of that religion. Saying "I am Christian" has become nearly meaningless in this country and it's not just because they don't go to church. It's because I believe many of them are closet agnostics because they don't have a real understand of what their religion represents. As far as Christian fundamentalism, just what is it? There are so many conflicting sects that it's nearly impossible to find the fundamentals because of interpretation.

Dubya has all but admitted he is a born again Christian and that it is a one-step remedy for his alcoholism. Very difficult and perhaps even dangerous for himself and for anyone dealing with him. But can you imagine a President who would even be able to attend an AA meeting?
His "higher power" is more likely Laura, despite her milquetoast, librarian demeanor.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 07:46 pm
I think that's true, Light, particularly about Laura.
0 Replies