you have to open the drain

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:17 pm
2 weeks ago my father (aged 80) called the plumber because the bath tub would not drain. the plumber came and opened the drain lever on the tub, the tub drained immediately. the plumber told dad "you know you have those old fashioned toilets and they should be upgraded to the new low flush toilets" dad spend $3,100 for 3 new toilets. two months ago dad had to have a new puter (there are 4 in the house with the oldest being 3 yrs old), last friday dad borrowed $10,000 from me to pay his quarterly taxes. He didn't want to get into his investments. I have a headache.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,264 • Replies: 31
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:18 pm
Oh my.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:37 pm
Oh my, indeed. This could call for some delicate handling.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:53 pm
Er - a little manic? Early dementia? Oh dear.....been there, done that, threw away and burned the T shirt...still having to dye the grey hairs.

Care for a small cyber hug?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:57 pm
Aw, sorry Dys. My great aunt used to buy stuff too, but she'd buy little things like ginsu knives and such. My dad, his father, and his brother just funded her bank acct.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:00 pm
A portfolio generating enough income to require $10,000.00 for quarterly taxes shouldn't require either funding or family loans, though.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:05 pm
Roger, i actually have no idea if there actually is a tax liability. Everything he does is a secret and i have no access to any of his records. It may be time to pursue the courts for competency.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:06 pm
Tough road, Dys, good luck.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:15 pm
Oh dear. Maybe you can ask him to have his accountant contact your accountant? No. I didn't think that would work.

Good luck.

C'mon back to vent.

Perhaps hamburger will have some insight here. He's helped some older friends get things in order. Actually, in that line, does your dad have any remaining pals that he trusts?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:21 pm
Dys - has he a good doctor? You never know - he just might have something treatable?????
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:23 pm
dad has no friends left, mostly dead and the others cant cope with him anymore, his attorney for the past 20 years fired him as a client this summer. mom was diagnosed with alzheimers 2 1/2 years ago. my current plan is to await a crisis and then take legal intervention. not a good plan but all i can think of.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:24 pm
dlowan, he has forbidden his doctor to speak to me (confidentiality)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:40 pm
sigh.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:47 pm
wowsa
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:50 pm
Can you 'force' a crisis, without endangering anyone?

hmm, I guess it's hard to tell if he's being secretive, what the impact of any of your actions might be.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:08 pm
AGING & ELDER CARE
hi, dys : a good old friend of ours started to have problems a few years ago - eventually diagnosed as alzheimer's. but luckily she was always in a good mood and could laugh at herself. even when she was in a home for alsheimer's patients the last two years she didn't loose her humour. when we would go to visit with her she was happiest to sing some old german folksongs to us. the problem you are facing with your dad is of course a much different and more difficult one. is it possible that your dad wants to exercise his power over you and others ? i think there are plenty of people around - and not just old ones ! - that really get a kick out of exercising power over others and make them squirm. if he would not be your dad you probably would give him a piece of your mind, and tell him to smarten up or else ... or are you known as a SOFTIE who also is an OBEDIENT son ? can't really give you much advice, but would suggest you ask YOURSELF some questions before you get dragged down by something like this. sorry i could't be more positive and helpful. do you have a seniors' association or something similar where you might get advice ? how about the AARP - they have local chapters in many places - you can even contact them over the internet. SORRY ! hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:15 pm
hi again : perhaps give this a try; it should give you some other leads also. hbg Grief and Loss
AARP: The power to make it better. (tm). ... mourning. Read more >>. AARP Grief
Support Line Would you like to talk to someone who cares? Call ...
Description: Offering articles, discussions, resources and tools for coping with grief and the loss of a loved one.
Category: Health > Mental Health > Grief, Loss and Bereavement
www.aarp.org/griefandloss/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:28 pm
I can't offer real advice. I think I would make the transfer of large amounts of my own money to help him contingent on his letting me see the paperwork or something. Easy for me to say. At least have a bit of sympathy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:34 pm
Tough decision either way; to help or not to help loved ones that get themselves into financial committments they posssibly can't handle. Gotta think about this one, before I can offer my .02c worth. c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:34 pm
I have been through seeking conservatorship. Let me express my great sympathy to you, and really to him too since he is probably all bundled up in dread, worry, fear; I'd be speaking to an attorney now to find out the options, what you need to have in hand to act, whether or not you act on them.
0 Replies