Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,563 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:27 am
http://factcheck.barackobama.com/
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:31 am
Someone should ask Obama about his association with his spiritual advisor who is a supporter of Farrakahan and all he stands for. People are judged by they company the keep.
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:37 am
No need to ask:

Quote:
New York, NY, January 15, 2008 … The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today welcomed Barack Obama's statement strongly condemning the anti-Semitism of Nation of Islam leader Minister Louis Farrakhan. The Senator's statement came in response to reports that his minister, Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., leader of the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, had honored Farrakhan as one who "truly epitomized greatness."

Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director, issued the following statement:

We welcome Barack Obama's condemnation of the anti-Semitic rhetoric of Minister Louis Farrakhan, and his making clear that he did not agree with his church's decision to honor Farrakhan with the Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. Trumpeter Award. Issues of racism and anti-Semitism must be beyond the bounds of politics. When someone close to a political figure shows sympathy and support for an individual who makes his name espousing bigotry, that political figure needs to distance himself from that decision. Senator Obama has done just that.

http://www.adl.org/PresRele/NatIsl_81/5208_81.htm
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:42 am
Sure, however, he did it after it became politically expedient.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:42 am
The Clinton campaign is clearly taking some of its cues from the last two Bush campaigns. Refusing to answer questions in Iowa was one example. Attacks using un-truths and half-truths is another. The victory road for the Republicans in '08 consists of McCain (who has some independent appeal) winning on the Republican side and Clinton winning on the Democratic side after using dirty tricks to beat Obama. Independents, faced with two pro-war, establishment candidates go with the preceived straight shooter and McCain is president.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:43 am
au1929 wrote:
Someone should ask Obama about his association with his spiritual advisor who is a supporter of Farrakahan and all he stands for. People are judged by they company the keep.
Twisted Evil

I'm still trying to find out why Obama has an Hispanic nanny for his kids and not a black woman.

( And of course there's still the 3 locks on the front door of his house in Hyde Park in Chicago.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:45 am
au1929 wrote:

What does that mean?

He did it after a bunch of emails made false claims... wonder if you got one of them?

engineer, I worry a lot about that exact scenario.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:45 am
Miller wrote:
I'm still trying to find out why Obama has an Hispanic nanny for his kids and not a black woman.

( And of course there's still the 3 locks on the front door of his house in Hyde Park in Chicago.)

Because he hired the best candidate from the applications available instead of blindly focusing on race?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:56 am
au1929 wrote:
Quote:
Sure, however, he did it after it became politically expedient

sozobe wrote
Quote:
What does that mean?

He did it after a bunch of emails made false claims... wonder if you got one of them?

It means he made the statement after it became known thru reports in the news. Thus putting his feet to the fire.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:01 am
But what is "known," exactly? That at one point Obama's pastor (not Obama himself, for example) gave an award to Farakkhan? What's so awful, there, that it needs to be brought up in some sort of preemptive strike?

Eh, I know I won't get anywhere with this. I've answered the implication for anyone reading along, I know that au1929 doesn't like Obama and that's his prerogative. So, moving on.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:05 am
engineer wrote:
Miller wrote:

Because he hired the best candidate from the applications available instead of blindly focusing on race?

And how do you know this? Did you apply for the nanny postion, yourself?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:08 am
Miller wrote:
engineer wrote:
Miller wrote:

And how do you know this? Did you apply for the nanny postion, yourself?

My question mark at the end implies that I don't know this, but certainly the original post implies some sinister motive, so I looked at the same fact and suggested a non-sinister motive. In fact, both of us could be wrong and I assume you will choose to believe either or neither as you choose. In the best of worlds, you might even think the issue is too trivial to even occupy your thoughts.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:08 am
engineer wrote:
The Clinton campaign is clearly taking some of its cues from the last two Bush campaigns. Refusing to answer questions in Iowa was one example. Attacks using un-truths and half-truths is another. The victory road for the Republicans in '08 consists of McCain (who has some independent appeal) winning on the Republican side and Clinton winning on the Democratic side after using dirty tricks to beat Obama. Independents, faced with two pro-war, establishment candidates go with the preceived straight shooter and McCain is president.
Checkmate. Hillary is the Republican's best hope.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:10 am
Let's see if I understand the contention.

1. A bunch of emails are circulating stating misrepresentations and falsehoods about Obama and Farakhan.

2. Newspapers publish the misrepresentations and falsehoods.

3. Obama issues a statement correcting those misrepresentations and falsehoods.

4. Some people thank him for making his position clear.

And he is faulted because he made the statement after the newspapers published the misrepresentations and falsehoods?

What was he supposed to do to correct those misrepresentations and falsehoods, Au1929 and when should he have made his statement?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:20 am
Miller, do you have an link to the information source for this story about the nanny for the Obama children? I'm interested in reading about it.

Also, since you mentioned it, could you give a link to an information source about the three locks on the door of his house? I'd like to read what that is all about too.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 10:37 am
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 11:17 am
sozobe wrote:
au1929 wrote:

What does that mean?

engineer, I worry a lot about that exact scenario.

What was in the email? I googled and can't find anything.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 11:45 am
At least two different kinds targeting the Jewish community that I know of.

This one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-chabon/hey-louis-farrakhan-and-_b_81698.html

And these:

http://rac.org/Articles/index.cfm?id=2631&pge_prg_id=7037
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:38 pm
sozobe wrote:
At least two different kinds targeting the Jewish community that I know of.

This one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-chabon/hey-louis-farrakhan-and-_b_81698.html

And these:

http://rac.org/Articles/index.cfm?id=2631&pge_prg_id=7037

Thanks for the links. I assume the 'email' was a reprint of Cohen's opinion piece in the Post? There's no mention of any of this on Obama's website that I can find, although he does mention and debunk other emails that have related to his schooling and religion.
0 Replies