Evidence is inconsequential.

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 09:21 am
Now President Bush is splashing doubt not just on the CIA, but on all 16 U.S. intelligence agencies, simply because their judgments are out of synch with his policies.
Bush at his best.

It's funny how we were anxious to impeach a president that had his knob polished but as for the president that violates the constitution and undermines his own countries' integrity......it's on our to-do list.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,424 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 04:13 pm
jason
"It is increasingly unlikely, for many reasons, that the United States will bomb Iran before the year is out.
But, wittingly or not, did Bush just flash a green light to Olmert?

Neither Bush nor the puny PM Olmert is qualified to fool the rational majority.
Criminal characterless politics had faced a waterloo in Iraq.
Iran had made some silly announcement against Israel.
That is not justfication for Israel to follow the foolish step of BUSH.
I was made in India
and i live in Germany
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:08 pm
Bush has violated the constitution before,what causes you to believe he would not attempt to repeat.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:31 pm
Bush is evil!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:34 pm
And of course the intelligence community is undoubtedly right, as they sit there in their offices looking at satellite photos? Give me a break.

I'm sure we can trust the Iranians to tell the truth.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:10 pm
okie wrote:
And of course the intelligence community is undoubtedly right, as they sit there in their offices looking at satellite photos? Give me a break.

If the intel community is of the opinion that Iran is not pursuing nuclear weapons, what info is President Bush using to say otherwise? Is this gut feel on his part? What information does he have that the intel group does not and why does he have it? Shouldn't our intel teams have all the information? I think the intel community went forward with the public release because they saw the President marching forward on little or no information and wanted to let their opinion be known before we started dropping bombs. If he has some info that the rest of the world does not, he needs to show his hand.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 05:39 pm
be awake.
We will make the bitter butter better
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 09:04 pm
engineer wrote:
okie wrote:

If the intel community is of the opinion that Iran is not pursuing nuclear weapons, what info is President Bush using to say otherwise? Is this gut feel on his part? What information does he have that the intel group does not and why does he have it? Shouldn't our intel teams have all the information? I think the intel community went forward with the public release because they saw the President marching forward on little or no information and wanted to let their opinion be known before we started dropping bombs. If he has some info that the rest of the world does not, he needs to show his hand.

Well, there is alot of politics going on here, and I think there is far more to this than meets the eye, or can be explained by any reporter or columnist, or by you or I or anyone else on this forum. And anyone that concludes that the Iranians are not working on WMD is simply claiming to know something that isn't known. The Israelis may have spies on the ground and may know more than has been published, we simply don't know. The intelligence reports may have political cross currents embedded in them, and we simply do not know.

What we do know is that the leader of Iran is dangerous and can't be trusted, that is something we know for sure. And we know the Russians have been shipping nuclear material to Iran, supposedly for a reactor.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 06:54 pm
engineer wrote:
okie wrote:

I don't know how anyone who saw how wrong the Intelligence Community was about WMDs in Iraq (and howled bloody murder about it) can now be so sure that they have it right about Iran.

Nor do I understand how anyone can be alright with the possibility that the Intelligence Community has taken it upon itself to operate outside of the framework of the the Constitution.

It's not a matter of politics is it?

No matter what our intelligence services report, at this time, I am going to be skeptical. Before their credibility is restored in my mind, they will need to get something right, not just report something that happens to compliment my political preferences.

The intelligence services are in place to provide information to policy makers who are a product of our electoral system. They are not in place to fashion or influence that policy.

It's debateable as to whether the report on Iranian nuclear weapons programs put the brakes on a a planned pre-emptive strike, but it surely undermined the State Department's attempt to deal with the situation through international sanctions.

Now I'm not assuming that the members of the intelligence agencies decided that their view of policy issues was better for the country than that of its elected officials, but it appears you are.

You don't have an accurate understanding of intelligence if you believe the Intel Services have a series of concrete documents or photos proving that Iran gave up their weapons programs, and that the only way the Bush Administration can credibly disagree with their conclusions is to produce concrete documents and photos of their own. It is a matter of interpreting a mass of imprecise and cloudy information. Normally I would give the edge to the professionals in the Intel Services, but let's not forget Iraq's WMDs.

Let's assume the Intel Services are completely correct, this is not the same as getting it correct that Iraq wasn't stockpiling WMDs. As long as they continue their plans to enrich uranium (for peaceful purposes only of course) they can turn their weapons program on pretty easily.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:49 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't know how anyone who saw how wrong the Intelligence Community was about WMDs in Iraq (and howled bloody murder about it) can now be so sure that they have it right about Iran.

How was the intelligence community wrong about WMD's in Iraq?
They said no.
Bush said yes. Thousands dead.

Now, again the community is saying no, and again,
Bush is saying yes.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:56 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Nor do I understand how anyone can be alright with the possibility that the Intelligence Community has taken it upon itself to operate outside of the framework of the the Constitution.

erroneous.
Bush is the one who has operated on his own terms, outside of the constitution and that should be painfully clear.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 10:02 pm
jasonrest wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

How was the intelligence community wrong about WMD's in Iraq?
They said no.
Bush said yes. Thousands dead.

Now, again the community is saying no, and again,
Bush is saying yes.

Erroneous.

Check you facts jason
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 10:11 pm
jasonrest wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

erroneous.
Bush is the one who has operated on his own terms, outside of the constitution and that should be painfully clear.

Even if that was the case, it certainly doesn't open the door for the Intelligence Community to shape or influence policy in accordance with political positions they may hold. You should worry about this as much or more as you seem to worry about the actions of an elected official who operates under a 10,000 watt bulb as compared to the light shown on intelligence services.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 10:47 pm
Can you provide something prior to the invasion that stated without a doubt that there were wmds in Iraq, which was one of the many changing justifications for that invasion?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:15 pm
jasonrest wrote:
Can you provide something prior to the invasion that stated without a doubt that there were wmds in Iraq, which was one of the many changing justifications for that invasion?

You can do your own reseach my friend, but you should have no trouble discovering that all of the Intel Services of The West believed Saddam had WMDs. The debate was not about whether or not he had them but whether continued sanctions and inspections was preferable to war. Take a look at the presentation Colin Powell made to the UN.

The Democrats all believed he had WMDs and they got briefings directly from Intel Services.

Try as you might, you will not find a National Intel Report that claimed Saddam did not have WMDs.

I know it satisfies your hatred of Bush to think he ignored all intel reports and lied about WMDs, but that's not what happened.

It's possible, though unlikely, that he coerced the Intel Services to come to a conclusion that he prefered, but you won't find anything approaching a consensus among the services that Iraq didn't have WMDs

You may be able to find individuals who argued that there were no WMDs. One contraversial weapons inspector (whose name escapes me at the moment) asserted there were no WMDs. He was regarded, generally, as a kook. Either he was a kook who got lucky, or he knew what he was talking about,but he was right. To suggest that Bush should have made decisions based on maverick opinions, though, is ridiculous.

There were not changing justifications for war. The White House, unfortunately, put all of its eggs in the WMD basket.

Try reading something other than far-left blogs.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:59 pm
What, in your opinion, qualifies as Intelligence?

CIA, DIA etc.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 02:03 pm
Us Intelligence Community
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 02:18 pm
The intel community includes the CIA and the CIA includes this "GUY".
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 03:10 pm
That is the nature of intelligence - not everyone agrees on its interpretations and lately, the people whose interpretations were not accepted seem to think they can prove some heinous crime simply because they were correct.

I guarantee you this guy has been wrong before and decisions were based on his incorrect interpretations. I also guarantee you he was wrong before and his opinion was not acted upon. In either of those cases he keeps his mouth shut.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 04:19 pm
Finn
Kindly excuse me for my intrussion to get some clarification from you
and accept my thanks and regards in advance.
Is CIA (an organization approved by the elected law makers) without inhibition or with intelligence?
My view is this.
CIA is anything to do other than decency, democracy.
I will be the last person to clean the kitchen or toilet in CIA's unspecified, unidentified mystic, myopic headquarters.
Rama fuchs
0 Replies