Who's tired of Pink? Erica Jong is in a big snit

blatham

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 06:30 am
Quote:
Erica Jong wrote:
Obama? Who knows who he is? A brilliant writer, yes, a cute young guy, yes, a progressive, we think. But who really knows? I give him the benefit of the doubt. Why not? But what a stupid way to choose a President!

soz:
It's pretty obvious that she hasn't bothered to do any research

You are right and not right.

You're right in that she clearly hasn't taken the time to get familiar with Obama and it isn't hard to do.

You're wrong in the inference you suggest she makes above. The line you've excerpted follows upon the major part of her argument/complaint which is that the media spend 90% of their time on matters of complete insignificance to real issues and policy questions. It is media coverage which she indicts as shallow, not Obama or support for Obama.

And as regards earlier opinions that Jong "whines"... anyone who might say this has not read her work or not heard her speak. I've done both and she'd give any one of us an elbow to the jaw before she'd whine. She's very brave, very tough and very, very smart.

But she's a woman. So "whine" is the word that gets used.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 06:50 am
Chai wrote:
Gala wrote:
Erica Jong's been around for a long tiime, and now she just recycles herself doing her whiny shtick, which will appeal to a lot of whiny women and some men who are "feminists."

heh...we feel the same way.

You speaking for all women, or just the ones on A2K?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:40 am
Snood, I believe that Chai speaks for herself.

There wasn't a sign-up list in the girls' room that said "Chai speaks for me too".

~~~

Perhaps she was using the royal 'we'.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:41 am
Thanks Bernie for your follow-up to Soz in regard to Ms. Jong's second piece.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:42 am
I think I already followed up on that though.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:16 am
blatham wrote:
I've done both and she'd give any one of us an elbow to the jaw before she'd whine. She's very brave, very tough and very, very smart.

No doubt. Erica Jong is all of the above. But she's still whiny, not because she's a woman, but because she whines.

Men whine too. And plenty.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:18 am
snood wrote:
You speaking for all women, or just the ones on A2K?

I'm speaking about Erica Jong. I cannot speak for Chai.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:23 am
I have another thing to say Ms. Jong's approach to her article--

I don't believe she realizes how much the term and the dialogue on pink, pasty, white men has reached it's full use. Sure, Carl Rove typifies this, but enough of it.

Then again, her writing style has always been this way...see Parachutes and Kisses (yes, I am aware it's fiction), a book which seriously made me consider the benefits of leaping from a tall building.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:41 am
ehBeth wrote:

There wasn't a sign-up list in the girls' room that said "Chai speaks for me too".

~~~

chaa...I wasn't using the royal we.

My meaning was Gala and I think alike (re Erica Jong)

She said something I agreed with, I said we think alike.

I thought stood was inferring to the "whiny women" part

His words..which will appeal to a lot of whiny women and some men who are "feminists.".

made we thing he meant the whiny women and feminist men on A2K.

I read his post early this am....saw it three ways, talking about gala, talking about me, or talking about whiny A2K women.

In any event, didn't seem worth answering at the time, any way you take it, it's a dig.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 01:06 pm
Gala wrote:
blatham wrote:
I've done both and she'd give any one of us an elbow to the jaw before she'd whine. She's very brave, very tough and very, very smart.

No doubt. Erica Jong is all of the above. But she's still whiny, not because she's a woman, but because she whines.

Men whine too. And plenty.

Am I to consider this post of yours here to be an instance of "whining" about Jong? If not, why not? What characterizes a whining comment and some other species of comment?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 02:44 pm
blatham wrote:
Am I to consider this post of yours here to be an instance of "whining" about Jong? If not, why not? What characterizes a whining comment and some other species of comment?

Sir, you can consider my post anyway you please.

What characterizes an Erica Jong comment to my comment? She gets payed to whine.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:52 pm
ehBeth wrote:

~~~

Hi-frikkin -larious. You're answering a question asked to someone else with "She speaks for herself".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:57 pm
to

Chai wrote:
I read his post early this am....saw it three ways, talking about gala, talking about me, or talking about whiny A2K women.

In any event, didn't seem worth answering at the time, any way you take it, it's a dig.

Pretty much the SnoodMood, eh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:06 pm
I suppose I need to reread.

I haven't followed Erica in recent years. I remember thinking her a little late, perhaps using, back with the zipless f episodes..

Oh, by the way, I'm a feminist.

The first piece was a rant. Whiff.

Second, I'll have to review, didn't find it as distasteful.

To Blatham, no, I don't read her columns.

Frankly, I thought the first bit something like some of mine to myself, not posted.

I had a lot to quibble with her on that.

But.. wait, why should I be listening except that you mentioned her?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 09:48 pm
ehBeth wrote:
to

Chai wrote:

Pretty much the SnoodMood, eh.

meh
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 07:58 am
Gala wrote:
blatham wrote:

What characterizes an Erica Jong comment to my comment? She gets payed to whine.

That's a cop-out response. Were you whining, even if for no money, or were you doing something else? What is that else?

It isn't important how blatham reads your post. The question is whether you have any sort of objective criterion for establishing who is 'whining', which as you understand is a derogation which paints the subject as either child-like or hysterically feminine.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 08:07 am
ossobuco wrote:
I suppose I need to reread.

I haven't followed Erica in recent years. I remember thinking her a little late, perhaps using, back with the zipless f episodes..

Oh, by the way, I'm a feminist.

The first piece was a rant. Whiff.

Second, I'll have to review, didn't find it as distasteful.

To Blatham, no, I don't read her columns.

Frankly, I thought the first bit something like some of mine to myself, not posted.

I had a lot to quibble with her on that.

But.. wait, why should I be listening except that you mentioned her?

oss

Not sure if you were talking to me but being and egoist I'll just assume it.

I don't know if or where she might write on a regular basis. When I bump into something written by her, I usually read it because I know she'll challenge me with new ideas or perspectives.

I fell in love with the lady particuarly after hearing her speak at a local university about eight years ago. Weirdly to me, there were several hundred people in the auditorium and perhaps ten males (my gender-mates regularly disappoints me). The depth of her engagement with and questioning of gender, and sexuality, and western (particularly american) culture deeply impressed me in no small part because of her bold honesty. Use of the word 'whine' in respect to this woman makes as much sense as applying 'compassionate' to Dick Cheney.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 08:53 am
blatham wrote:
Gala wrote:
blatham wrote:

That's a cop-out response. Were you whining, even if for no money, or were you doing something else? What is that else?

It isn't important how blatham reads your post. The question is whether you have any sort of objective criterion for establishing who is 'whining', which as you understand is a derogation which paints the subject as either child-like or hysterically feminine.

Say what? As I said. Consider it anyway you please.

I don't think it's relevant whether I have an objective criterion-- The issue here is Jong is a public figure. If she dies in a car crash the news will be heard on TV and printed in newspapers.

Her shtick is overwrought.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 12:23 pm
Quote:

I don't think it's relevant whether I have an objective criterion-- The issue here is Jong is a public figure. If she dies in a car crash the news will be heard on TV and printed in newspapers.

By "overwrought", I'm not sure if you mean something like "too angry" or "exaggerated" or whether you are worried that further such thoughts and commentary from her might result in fainting of miscarriage.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 07:05 am
blatham wrote:
Quote:

By "overwrought", I'm not sure if you mean something like "too angry" or "exaggerated" or whether you are worried that further such thoughts and commentary from her might result in fainting of miscarriage.

Erica Jong, the vapors? I think not.

The limited angle of "pink men" has played itself out. This topic is best reserved for college level Womens Studies classes--where 18 yr. old male and females can have structured exposure to the horrors of the "patriarchy."
0 Replies