The real Rudy...

flaja

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:40 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Giuliani#Public_prosecutor_and_private_practice

Giuliana started out as a Democrat, changed his party status to independent before getting a job in the Ford Administration and then a month after Ronald Reagan was elected president Giuliani changed his party status to Republican.

But was the conversion genuine? In 1988 Giuliani's own mother said, "He only became a Republican after he began to get all these jobs from them. He's definitely not a conservative Republican. He thinks he is, but he isn't. He still feels very sorry for the poor."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 553 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:48 pm
Republicans stuck together as a group when they were lying and cheating and thinking of nobody but themselves. Now they can pay for it. Watch them scramble like rats.
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 03:17 am
From what I understand, Giuliani likes variety.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 10:02 am
Re: The real Rudy...
flaja wrote:
"He still feels very sorry for the poor."

Yep, clearly not a Republican.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 10:48 am
This thread begs two questions:

1. What is a Republican?

2. Which of the current prez hopefuls is the real republican?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:22 pm
kickycan wrote:
This thread begs two questions:

1. What is a Republican?

2. Which of the current prez hopefuls is the real republican?

I can understand the need to define what a Republican is, but what is the benefit to anyone, other than an ideologue, to know who is a (real)Republican? Has Democrat and Republican turned into a religion? If yes, should there be secular party members, and born-again party members, or perhaps, fundamentalist party members?

It's like saying if one lives south of 14th Street, one isn't a real West Sider. It's getting worse than silly, I believe.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:33 pm
You brought up the question Flaja.

The fact is only two people can possibly beat Hillary or Obama (since one of these two will be the Democratic nominee) are Rudy, or McCain.

The fact that flaja doesn't think either Rudy or McCain are "real Republicans" is telling.

Maybe under flaja's definition, "real republican" is a synonym for "loser".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:46 pm
Quote:
The rise of Mitt Romney is again due to conservatives slowly starting to coalesce around him. Huckabee's record is coming to light, and candidates like Giuliani and McCain (despite his win in New Hampshire) are simply unacceptable to conservatives.

http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/?p=639

They could be Republicans but they are not conservative.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:59 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
The fact that flaja doesn't think either Rudy or McCain are "real Republicans" is telling.

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention. I have said at least once in another thread that I am not a Republican and haven't been a Republican since Bill Clinton was acquitted with 10 Republican votes in 1999.

I don't care one bit about whom is and isn't a "real" republican. I am merely pointing out Giuliani's internal inconsistency. He strikes me as an opportunist.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 02:28 pm
Quote:

I am not a Republican and haven't been a Republican since Bill Clinton was acquitted with 10 Republican votes in 1999.

That is very funny.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:10 pm
flaja wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention. I have said at least once in another thread that I am not a Republican and haven't been a Republican since Bill Clinton was acquitted with 10 Republican votes in 1999.

I don't care one bit about whom is and isn't a "real" republican. I am merely pointing out Giuliani's internal inconsistency. He strikes me as an opportunist.

I believe part of the problem that some people have with Giuliani is that they don't understand him. That is because few people today understand native New Yorkers. There was a time, perhaps the 1960's ended the era, when native New Yorkers were seen in the media, and movies, etc. They learned what native New Yorkers were. Today, what passes for a New Yorker is often a transplant from somewhere else. So, native New Yorkers are too different to be understood. To resolve the cognitive dissonance, one might assign to them some (usually) negative attribute(s).

Many people don't like New Yorkers, be they transplants, or natives. Personally, I think it's a resentment of sorts; in the way of analogy, New Yorkers don't usually look up at tall buildings when they go elsewhere; their taste for tall buildings has been jaded back home.

And also (let's be honest), Giuliani was raised Catholic, and regardless of how that would have no effect on his being a President, there are people that still harbor strong feelings about Catholics in such high office. Let's be honest about this.
0 Replies