I agree with... Mr Bush (take a deep breath)

Zippo

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 03:26 pm
Bush calls on Israel to end occupation of Palestinian land

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/01/10/bushwestbank10a.jpg

Fred Attewill and agencies
Thursday January 10, 2008
Guardian Unlimited

The US president, George Bush, today called on Israel to end its 41-year occupation of Palestinian land and predicted a peace treaty would be signed by the time he leaves office.

Speaking after a meeting with the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, Bush said: "There should be an end to the occupation that began in 1967. An agreement must establish Palestine as a homeland for the Palestinian people, just as Israel is a homeland for the Jewish people." ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2238353,00.html

--------------------------------------

Damn! I'm losing it Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 718 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 06:58 pm
Guardian journalist is as bad as NYT, WP,IHT .
Of all the people around the globe BUSH?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:16 pm
Quote:
The US president, George Bush, today called on Israel to end its 41-year occupation of Palestinian land

You know what the Jews in Israel think about that?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Know what those same Jews think about George Bush?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:12 am
Ramafuchs wrote:
Guardian journalist is as bad as NYT, WP,IHT .
Of all the people around the globe BUSH?

Rama, the 'The Guardian' is a great credible UK paper. This story has been reported everywhere...

Bush Alters Stand on Palestinians
Compensation Backed to Address Refugee Issue; President Again Urges Israel to End 'Occupation'

By Michael Abramowitz and Jonathan Finer
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, January 11, 2008; A01

"JERUSALEM, Jan. 10 -- President Bush said Thursday that Palestinian refugees should receive compensation for the loss of homes they fled or were forced to flee during the establishment of Israel and declared that there should be an end to Israel's "occupation" of lands seized in war four decades ago..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/10/AR2008011000311_pf.html
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:18 am
xingu wrote:
Quote:
The US president, George Bush, today called on Israel to end its 41-year occupation of Palestinian land

You know what the Jews in Israel think about that?

Know what those same Jews think about George Bush?

However... they'd kiss Bush's @$$ every single year, when it's time to collect big bucks ('Billions') in military aid ?

But refuse to listen to G.W.Bush ?

Wouldn't that be like taking advantage of U.S government ?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:46 am
Haven't they always?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:26 pm
I know I read something about it yesterday and I found myself agreeing with him. Which is why I asked what anybody else thought. I keep thinking there is some catch I'm probably missing.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:47 pm
What if Bush is just saying out loud what Israelis have come to the conclusion themselves, in that they want Israel to be all Jewish, and the Palestinian Arabs will be on their own land? That doesn't mean there'll be a right of return to the Jewish Israel. It means, I believe, the Palestinian Arabs can "return" to the Palestinian State. That also solves the concern with refugee camps in other countries.

What happens to the Israeli Arabs? Do their towns become part of the new Palestinian State?

The division of land may not look like two adjacent land masses, but may look more like a jigsaw puzzle, or different ethnic neighborhoods in some cities.

What will the Palestinian economy be based on?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 09:25 pm
This is one of the 7 or 8 things he's done/said over the last 7 years that I agree with.

Next he needs to drastically reduce the amount of aid and military tech we supply them.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:07 pm
Foofie wrote:
What if Bush is just saying out loud what Israelis have come to the conclusion themselves, in that they want Israel to be all Jewish, and the Palestinian Arabs will be on their own land? That doesn't mean there'll be a right of return to the Jewish Israel. It means, I believe, the Palestinian Arabs can "return" to the Palestinian State. That also solves the concern with refugee camps in other countries.

What happens to the Israeli Arabs? Do their towns become part of the new Palestinian State?

The division of land may not look like two adjacent land masses, but may look more like a jigsaw puzzle, or different ethnic neighborhoods in some cities.

What will the Palestinian economy be based on?

Zippo, please don't titillate us with snippets of news, and then not answer deeper questions (above). What do you think the "right of return" will encompass in any two state solution?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:17 pm
bush will say or do anything to keep the mid east in turmoil and the iraqi cluster f**k outlasting his presidency.....
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:25 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
bush will say or do anything to keep the mid east in turmoil and the iraqi cluster f**k outlasting his presidency.....

Read the title of this thread. It's about Zippo's thoughts, not a point that is not backed up with any specifics.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 02:32 pm
Foofie wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Read the title of this thread. It's about Zippo's thoughts, not a point that is not backed up with any specifics.

thank you for pointing that out. I'm retarded you know.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 09:26 pm
Zippo, put some meat and potatoes into your posts please. You give us a post and then ignore deeper questions that it elicits?

If you agree with President Bush that there should be a final peace settlement, what do you think the "right of return" must reflect? Right of return to the new Palestinian State only, or right of return to Israel? If you don't feel an answer would be wise for you to give, based on strong political views of your compatriots, don't. That alone would be saying a lot.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:30 am
Since I said I agreed; I'll try to answer why I did.

I guess I liked the following quotes:

Quote:
He reiterated America's "steadfast commitment to Israel's security" but said the future Palestine must be "viable", "contiguous" and "sovereign".

Quote:
Referring to Israel, which has refused to rule out further construction in the West Bank, he said the US has "made our concerns about settlements known". He stressed a Palestinian state had to consist of contiguous territory if it was going to be viable and said "Swiss cheese isn't going to work

There is a more detailed link from the Washington Post which answers more of those questions.

Quote:
JERUSALEM, Jan. 10 -- President Bush said Thursday that Palestinian refugees should receive compensation for the loss of homes they fled or were forced to flee during the establishment of Israel and declared that there should be an end to Israel's "occupation" of lands seized in war four decades ago.

Bush made his comments after becoming the first U.S. president to visit Ramallah, the West Bank city that is the headquarters of the Palestinian Authority, in an effort to invigorate negotiations aimed at securing a peace accord before the end of his presidency.

While Bush has previously used language describing Israel's presence in the West Bank as an "occupation," his words Thursday seemed a pointed prod at the Israeli government, coming on his first trip to the country during his presidency. Palestinians have long seen Bush as a partisan of Israel, but some welcomed parts of his statement.

At the same time, Bush restated his past formulation that Israel cannot be expected to give up all the land captured during the 1967 war, parts of which now have large Israeli settlements, and that the two sides must make territorial compromises that reflect "current realities."

"There should be an end to the occupation that began in 1967," Bush told reporters, referring to the Middle East war during which Israel captured the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Golan Heights. The third territory was seized from Syria, but a senior White House official said Thursday that Bush intended to refer only to the Palestinian areas.

"The agreement must establish Palestine as a homeland for the Palestinian people, just as Israel is a homeland for the Jewish people," Bush added. "These negotiations must ensure that Israel has secure, recognized and defensible borders. And they must ensure that the state of Palestine is viable, contiguous, sovereign and independent."

source

So I guess what he saying is that the refugees should be allowed to receive compensation but not allowed to return to their property in Israel. He said the occupation must end but said Israel should not be expected to give up its settlements which it currently has but not build anymore. He said sides must work with "current reality." He also said Palestine should be viable and sovereign. In other words; Israel cannot just bulldoze down homes whenever they feel like it even if they claim it is for their security. That is what sovereign means whether Bush realizes it or not. I bet he don't realize that.

I am wondering if Palestine actually does get a state; will they be allowed to receive military aid as well as money to set up their government? Where will all this money come from? Also the issue of Jerusalem has yet to worked out. I don't know if this is good or not on second thought. To be honest it is a bit beyond my understanding not living there and being the ones involved.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 03:21 pm
Foofie wrote:
Zippo, put some meat and potatoes into your posts please. You give us a post and then ignore deeper questions that it elicits?

If you agree with President Bush that there should be a final peace settlement, what do you think the "right of return" must reflect? Right of return to the new Palestinian State only, or right of return to Israel? If you don't feel an answer would be wise for you to give, based on strong political views of your compatriots, don't. That alone would be saying a lot.

Oh sorry, Foofie, thanks for reminding me. I didn't actually understand what Bush meant. If we go by revels post above (and i think he makes sense), then, it's not exactly what i had in mind. Bush is unable to express himself properly, so your guess is as good as mine.

Now, what i'd like to see is a two state solution where Palestinians can return to their own state (not Israel). We've got to split them up as two separate groups. Remove all Palestinian Arabs from Israel and vice versa. Finally, build a huge wall across the center. As for Jerusalem, that should be permanently occupied by U.N. forces, so three main religious groups can share their holy lands. The tricky part is drawing the dotted lines. Very Happy

http://zioneocon.blogspot.com/PA%20map%20of%20Palestine%20(Israel).jpg
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 04:05 pm
One problem is that Bush has no credibility in the ME. He is less popular than the president of Israel.

Israel is not going to end its occupation if its security would be adversely affected.

There needs to be a bilateral agreement. This is a problem inasmuch Gaza is effectively a separate Pal state, which raison D'etre is the destruction of Israel. There is no hint that Hamas would change this.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:47 pm
Zippo wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Oh sorry, Foofie, thanks for reminding me. I didn't actually understand what Bush meant. If we go by revels post above (and i think he makes sense), then, it's not exactly what i had in mind. Bush is unable to express himself properly, so your guess is as good as mine.

Now, what i'd like to see is a two state solution where Palestinians can return to their own state (not Israel). We've got to split them up as two separate groups. Remove all Palestinian Arabs from Israel and vice versa. Finally, build a huge wall across the center. As for Jerusalem, that should be permanently occupied by U.N. forces, so three main religious groups can share their holy lands. The tricky part is drawing the dotted lines. Very Happy

http://zioneocon.blogspot.com/PA%20map%20of%20Palestine%20(Israel).jpg

Well, fast forward the history. Hypothetically, a Palestinian State and a Jewish Israel exist with a winding border separating them. Along comes a war with a neighbor that wants the Golan Heights back, from previous hostilities. Do the Palestinians sit there amid all the commotion, or do we have a replay of 1948. Will self-serving politics trump ethnocentricity?
0 Replies